DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Starts Again On 10/7

Dolfan in NYC

The NHL has signed a huge contract with MLB to have MLB handle all their digital...stuff.  NHL Gamecenter, the NHL Network, team web sites, the whole nine yards.  Supposed to be worth $100m or more per year to the NHL.

Details

Really bad culture of drinking and not exactly consentual sex in hockey from junior on up.  What Brian Sakic and Wade Smith "allegedy" did in junior hockey to a girl and how the ownership of the team and the local school system covered it up should sicken everyone.  And dont get me started on Ed Jovanovski's backdoor shenanigans

I've posted on this before but hockey culture is just the worst. It seemingly combines the worst aspects of MMA, LAX, and bro cultures with an absurd level of elitism, privilege, and exclusivity. It's horrible how unsurprised I was by this regardless of it's true or not.

Can anyone here give me some travel tips for Montreal? Planning on going there in October and my visit coincides with the Habs playing at Bell. What's the best way to get tickets (team or secondary market)?

Rough breakdown: one quarter from the owners, one quarter in ticket tax (who fronts the money is up in the air, so it will be taxpayers), one quarter taxpayers, and I have already forgotten what the other quarter that will probably end up being taxpayers was called.

• Like 3

I honestly don't even know where the rink goes. Isn't that a problem? And why aren't they running with the saddle shaped dome? Wouldn't they be demolishing the old arena? WHAT IS CALGARY WITHOUT ITS MADE-UP LONG TRADITION OF COWBOYS!? TELL ME!

• Like 1

I honestly don't even know where the rink goes. Isn't that a problem? And why aren't they running with the saddle shaped dome? Wouldn't they be demolishing the old arena? WHAT IS CALGARY WITHOUT ITS MADE-UP LONG TRADITION OF COWBOYS!? TELL ME!

Speaking of made up traditions, the Sharks are finally changing their goal scoring music after 25 years (i.e. their entire history).   Previous attempts to do this have been met with heavy fan backlash, probably since the Sharks are still too new to have any organically-developed traditions so fans cling to this manufactured one.

Hence the "The artist's a paedo!  Now will you PLEASE let us change the song this time?" angle.