DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Starts Again On 10/7

Dolfan in NYC

Isn't Suter on Kariya the dirtiest play of the last 25 or so years? That was life altering stuff. And as a kid, I really liked Suter because for whatever reason I enjoyed the Blackhawks as a second or third or fifth whatever favourite team behind the Canucks. But Kariya was the real deal, then that happened.

This has me thinking about the the dirtiest plays in the modern NHL and it's not pretty. Claude Lemieux on Draper, stomps, Bure's flying elbow on Churla, Marchment/Samuelsson going after guys' knees, Bertuzzi's assault, Chris Simon's entire career, McSorley, etc.

ANOTHER THING, I totally forgot Kariya came back and destroying the league the year after the Suter hit, putting up 101 points in the deadpuck era. Scored 86 the year after that. Seems like the start of his downfall came well after that cheapshot.

FUCKING GARY SUTER! I'm sure having Kariya wouldn't have stopped Hasek from going ham at the 98 Olympics, but I don't care. Suter cost Canada the gold.

And yeah, in my memories, Kariya was a ghost after that hit, but he was a point per game player four other times and had a handful of 30+ goal years. I guess our memories are clouded because before that, it looked like he was going to be on the level of guys like Jagr, as one of the top 5 players or so. The injury seemed to downgrade him from all-time great to merely a really good player in a pretty bad offensive era.

• Like 1

Dude! Suter's Wiki page says he played in the tournament and received death threats from a Canadian fan. How awesome and Canadian is that?! The one thing we flip out on is you injuring our chances of winning a gold medal in hockey.

• Like 1

Dude! Suter's Wiki page says he played in the tournament and received death threats from a Canadian fan. How awesome and Canadian is that?! The one thing we flip out on is you injuring our chances of winning a gold medal in hockey.

I plead the fifth.

Canadians can do that, right?

Suter trying to break Gretzky and Kariya confirms he's the fucking worst.

Speaking of poor Paul Kariya, I would never actually say it was the "dirtiest play", merely "a very large person hitting a much smaller person very very hard", but I hadn't seen the Scott Stevens on Kariya hit in years and when I last saw it that was... very uncomfortable to watch. It's way worse than the Stevens/Lindros hit though of course that was has the drama of Eric laying there like some kind of crash test dummy. Of course because it was when it was Kariya came back from what must have been a horrific concussion and scored the game winning goal that night in OT, and was soon enough not the player he once had been.

Stevens was a guy that was legit one of my favourite players when I was a teenager and now I'm really not sure what to think about him anymore. Times change.

The Claude Lemieux/Draper thing was pretty terrible. There was that guy just last year (was it in the minors or in junior?) that just snapped in pre-game warmup and took a baseball swing at a guy's head that was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen in sports too.

• Like 1

Suter trying to break Gretzky and Kariya confirms he's the fucking worst.

Speaking of poor Paul Kariya, I would never actually say it was the "dirtiest play", merely "a very large person hitting a much smaller person very very hard", but I hadn't seen the Scott Stevens on Kariya hit in years and when I last saw it that was... very uncomfortable to watch. It's way worse than the Stevens/Lindros hit though of course that was has the drama of Eric laying there like some kind of crash test dummy. Of course because it was when it was Kariya came back from what must have been a horrific concussion and scored the game winning goal that night in OT, and was soon enough not the player he once had been.

Stevens was a guy that was legit one of my favourite players when I was a teenager and now I'm really not sure what to think about him anymore. Times change.

The Claude Lemieux/Draper thing was pretty terrible. There was that guy just last year (was it in the minors or in junior?) that just snapped in pre-game warmup and took a baseball swing at a guy's head that was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen in sports too.

A friend and I watched a youtube compilation of Scott Stevens hits and about 60 seconds in, I turned to him and said something along the lines of 'this isn't what it used to be. This feels kinda gross." He agreed, but for some perverse reason, we kept watching.

The Leafs acquire Michael Grabner from the Islanders for 5 AHLers.

If he was any good on breakaways he'd be a hall of fame candidate because it seems like he creates at least one every game. Unfortunately he is awful at converting them.

Here's a weird one... 2014 first round pick Josh Ho-Sang has been sent home from Islanders camp on day 1 for showing up late.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/josh-ho-sang-cut-from-islanders-camp-after-showing-up-late-on-day-1-191427073.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=tw