DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Starts Again On 10/7

Dolfan in NYC

I don't really think that repeats again this year. Every non-lockout year in the last decade has had a 100-point plus guy. No doubt this was a shitty scoring year, but I'm not really sure there's any reason to think THAT happens again right after when it really hasn't since, like, the late 1960's. It just seems statistically unlikely to me.

I think the interesting thing is how much damage does McDavid do on the power play. Obviously, NHL is a huge step up 5-on-5 in terms of having less time and space to operate. He's not going to come in and just look like a video game the way he often does in junior. But I really don't think it's unreasonable to think that maybe, if things actually break out well, McDavid is on the fringe of the NHL top 10 for power play scoring which would be (give or take) 30 points there. That could boost his numbers a lot.

Honestly, I don't really know. He does have one of the few PPG threats in the dead puck era around him in Hall (who's already done that twice, at 23), but Hall actually needs to stay healthy.

A lot also rides on how hard the NHL actually quietly kicks referees in the ass after whatever last season was supposed to be, but with the way the NHL works your guess there is as good as mine. I think 60-70 is probably my answer. Obviously I'd rather it was more, because, you know, more is good.

• Like 1

We live in a world where Ryan O'Reilly scored 20 goals once and is a franchise player now.

We also live in a world where Jonathan Toews has scored 70 just once (76) and is considered a superstar.
  • Like 1

For reference, Crosby was 6th in NHL scoring as a rookie. He also had some guy you might have heard of named Lemieux around, which obviously was a massive boost that (even at his age) I would never say McDavid has anything like around him.

So maybe "somewhere around the NHL's top 25" in scoring is a reasonable expectation, and indeed the question is "what will be fringe of the top 25".

If people want to compare him to Crosby, I guess that's fair enough. That's what's been put on him whether anyone likes it or not.

A lot also rides on how hard the NHL actually quietly kicks referees in the ass after whatever last season was supposed to be, but with the way the NHL works your guess there is as good as mine. I think 60-70 is probably my answer. Obviously I'd rather it was more, because, you know, more is good.

That's just it. I think scoring projections correlate with how the game is officiated. It's not like all the skilled players forgot how to score simultaneously. Sure systems/goalies/etc. had a hand in the scoring drop but, as we've discussed previously, it's largely down to atrocious refereeing. 

I say McDavid finishes in the 25-20 range in overall scoring and is in the 65 point range. I don't even think he'll need to be a big PP guy because one of his best assets is his incredible skating. He'll dummy a lot of bad defencemen in open play (Sbisa, Bartowski, Calgary's 3rd pairing, Hannan) no problem.

For reference, Crosby was 6th in NHL scoring as a rookie. He also had some guy you might have heard of named Lemieux around, which obviously was a massive boost that (even at his age) I would never say McDavid has anything like around him.

So maybe "somewhere around the NHL's top 25" in scoring is a reasonable expectation, and indeed the question is "what will be fringe of the top 25".

If people want to compare him to Crosby, I guess that's fair enough. That's what's been put on him whether anyone likes it or not.

What the Mario Lemieux that played a beefy 26 games that season.  It was a remarkable season for Crosby that year since his point total nearly doubled the second place guy on his team

Only 19 players scored 70 or more last season. You think he'll be in the top 20 for scoring?

Probably could if the other kids on the team all stay healthy but I dont see the coach letting them loose.  With that roster until the defense comes around you almost may as well go play river hockey with them and let them rip

Attended my very first game of the 2015-16 season tonight, the Isles blue-white prospects game. Blue team won 5-3 and were clearly better. Sam Anas, an undrafted kid out of Quinnipiac (go Bobcats!) had 2 goals for blue. The fact that he's 5'8 and 160 pounds probably is why he was undrafted. Hope he catches on for Bridgeport or Missouri. Joshua Ho-Sang was the star of the white team with assists on all three of their goals. Two of them were brilliant no look passes. I know it's a prospects game but that kid looks like an assist machine, many teams are going to look very bad for passing on him IMO.

In other notes I lost count of how many times I overheard people say how much they hated the Barclays Center, and that probably wasn't helped by the fact the roof was leaking near my section. And for those of you looking to go to the opener vs Chicago be advised that cheapest face value ticket is $200 and that's before TicketScammer fees. They are doing the Flyers trick of making the box office price insanely expensive so as to encourage people to buy season tickets where there is a major per game discount. Really want to go to that game but if someone is willing to pay me north of $200 for my $20 ticket I'd have to strongly consider that as it would pay for a quarter of my tickets in one shot.

Sabres drew 17K to a rookie/prospects scrimmage yesterday. Making this even more impressive is that it apparently was at the same time as a Rolling Stones concert at Ralph Wilson Stadium. EICHELMANIA RUNNIN' WILD!!!

Stories like the brawl at the beginning would have been cool to hear during his career, I probably care more about Sheldon Souray now than during his entire career. Unfortunately, the hockey establishment seems to insist that all players become faceless drones whose only personality trait is "humble".

Good stuff. The link below is to a short story told from both the perspectives of Scott Gomez and Ken Daneyko. Hilarity.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/scott-gomez-ken-daneyko-story-time/

Between that story and what Souray said of him, Daneyko rules even harder than I thought. Damn.

• Like 1

You joke, but it's actually true. When the Manitoba Moose were moved to St. John's, Newfoundland when the Jets came back, they picked a new nickname for the team because of all the fatalities caused by cars hitting moose in the Maritimes.

And Steven Fletcher, Winnipeg politician and member of the Canadian House of Commons, became a quadriplegic in his youth from hitting a moose in northern Manitoba.

Moose are majestic and all that shit, but they will fuck your shit up if you hit them. It's a very Canadian problem.