DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI - The Greatest Show Ever

Big Fresh

Whether or not she passes the "Does your mom know her" test is honestly kinda irrelevant. She's big in the same demographics as wrestling fans, and big enough to get them mainstream coverage. Which throughout the history of pro wrestling has been something most major promotions aim for. That was the aim and it worked. The battle royal getting bumped to pre-show is a pretty low-risk side effect because a) it really is and has always been just a way to give loyal workers a Mania pay day (the AMRBAR stuff is just to at least give it some semblance of importance) and b) the type of fan that's going to have any interest in it is going to seek it out/watch the pre-show and the casuals who don't are just going look at it as what it is, which is a meaningless way to get the "rest of" on the show. It would have probably done more harm than good to put it on the main show and get a "ugh" reaction from viewers and ruin pacing. If it got cut I could get the issue, but if you really had a vested interest in it, you could see it

She's big in the same demographics as wrestling fans, and big enough to get them mainstream coverage.

I don't think anyone is denying that. I thought most of the actual segment was terrible and frustrating since it looked like Steph got a bad Indian burn. 

I do think these cards could be structured better to include more matches. I think we could live without a Florida/Georgia line concert and 9:45 hobo parade.

• Like 1

I don't think it was necessarily a mistake to feature her, but only MMA fans on this board are assigning a 20-second clip of her in the ring featured on ESPN way more importance than, say, Mickey Rourke punching Jericho several years ago.  It was a blip on the mainstream that was forgotten as quickly as it appeared to 99% of people, outside of those in the MMA or wrestling bubble.  It won't generate any additional fans of the WWE from those who weren't interested before, but neither would have the battle royal or tag title match.

My big issue is that once again, Stephanie gets away without any repercussions for being a total Bonnie Steamboat.  Even when she does so face-to-face with THE BADDEST WOMAN ON THE PLANET~.  Steph is by far the most protected person in the business, it's a total joke.

• Like 4

She's in Furious 7. Whatever recognition she didn't have before in the mainstream has been pretty much obliterated.

Is it any bigger than her part in Expendables 3? Serious question, I have not seen it.

I can't answer that, but FF7 is making absurd amounts of money that Expendables 3 didn't approach.

I know but can that really be attributed to Rousey? I don't know because I live in layers of bubbles, if even one is pierced I'm doomed. 

I doubt she is ever going to wrestle, she would need to quit UFC for that and why would she?

And I think the bigger point of mid card matches is showing they matter and are not interchangeable. The next week they try to put Ryback in a triple threat as a potential world title challenger.  

• Like 1

Definitely not because of her, but it's raising her Q rating.

That's why it was there, btw. To promote FF7.

EDIT: GOD DAMMIT TABLET IF I TYPE JUST A Q IT DOESN'T MEAN I MEANT TO TYPE QUESTION!

• Like 1

The thing Trips has going for him, above everything else is that he's been on TV for so long. And basically, if you watched any USA show regularly over the last 12 years, you've seen hundreds of ads with him in it. That goes above and beyond how big the Attitude era was or memes, or whatever else. If you ever keep the TV on On Demand for more than a few minutes (as in you let it lapse after finishing a show), you probably get a PPV ad at some point. His merch was in Walmarts or Targets or whatever, certainly in the toy aisle or on the cover of the video games that sold a ton of copies. Less than Cena, sure, but somewhat. People are underestimating that. 

F7's opening was a big deal though. I don't think you can compare it to Haywire.

Everyone's forgotten that Gina Carano was in Fast & Furious 6. 

I mean, she wasn't exactly memorable or anything, but she was there. She turned heel at the end and everything. 

Fuck spoiler tags.

She's in Furious 7. Whatever recognition she didn't have before in the mainstream has been pretty much obliterated.

Is it any bigger than her part in Expendables 3? Serious question, I have not seen it.

No it's much smaller.  She's a throwaway henchwoman character that is in only one sequence of the film.

Oddly enough, FF6 didn't make nearly as much money as FF7 is clearing right now, btw.

Rousey is oft mentioned on ESPN (the most valuable of all cable tv networks) and was just in a huge movie.  She hot right now, and maybe getting bigger.

I enjoyed the segment, fwiw, but I was also drunk.

EDIT: Triple H does return 302 million search results in Google

301 million of them are on his 2003 title run.

It's hard to say what Ronda being in Furious 7 really means. Ludacris has a much bigger role in the franchise and nobody is running out to buy his new album. Honestly, nothing about the movie should be discussed outside of Paul Walker, Vin Diesel and The Rock.  Maybe Statham. Maybe Kurt. Everything else is cool and all but not a big deal. 

Ronda drawing 500,000 buys for 20 second fights?  Now that is impressive. Furious 7 isn't making a shit load of cash because of Ronda though, I know that much.

1. Who said nobody knew who she was?

2. Is there really no possibility that she is not as famous as you think she is? Absolutely no possibility?

But thanks for reminding me why I limit my contact with people here. 

It's been said multiple times in this thread that most people don't have a clue who she is.

No there's no possibility that she isn't as famous as I think she is  

The whole point of the discussion was how it was pointless to have her there because people don't know who she is and it would have been better to not even have the bit on the show at all and let some other match take place in that spot.  Perspective.  She was the reason Wrestlemania was on Sportscenter.  The timeline on the left has the title "Ronda Rousey at Wrestlemania" and that's what was covered.  They also covered the main event.  After they were done talking about Ronda.  

Everyone's forgotten that Gina Carano was in Fast & Furious 6. 

I mean, she wasn't exactly memorable or anything, but she was there. She turned heel at the end and everything. 

Fuck spoiler tags.

Gina Carano also hasn't fought in MMA since 2009. So it's not like she's kept herself in the public eye.

She has 5 movies that are either filming or in production including Deadpool. She was the only reason I watched that crap ass Fast and Furious movie, and her fight scene was the best one in it.

This just in: Ronda Rousey to become as big a star as Hulk Hogan and revitalize the industry due to having appeared in both a wrestling ring and having had a bit part in a movie!!!

Rousey is going to audition for Metallica and slam the near death 5,000 pound Big Show in front of 500,000 people.

This just in: Ronda Rousey to become as big a star as Hulk Hogan and revitalize the industry due to having appeared in both a wrestling ring and having had a bit part in a movie!!!

The point was that Ronda Rousey's screen time is irrelevant and that being in a major movie is a pretty big thing in itself. 

You people are not good at debate, are you?

No one has suggested that Rousey should be a full time roster member, people are saying that it wasn't a waste of time to use her at WrestleMania. For crying out loud, celebrities at WrestleMania is a time honored tradition.

• Like 1