DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers [Taped Feb. 3]

caley

When did the fans force WWE's hand, when he beat Cena clean or when he turned Orton into his personal job boy? Steph, Trips and Bryan are dedicated to the lie of "see we listen to our fans, they are the real boss." But nothing falls together that perfectly.

• Like 1

The worst part about Daniel Bryan is Daniel Bryan fans. They're lack of acceptance of him losing a match and/or not immediately getting the best of someone in an angle is tiresome. These are the same group of people that bitch about LOLCENAWINS but expect their guy to always win and always "look strong"

• Like 3

The problem with some of the NXT call ups is that their characters developed naturally in NXT, only to get called up without that build. Emma and Big E are the most obvious examples.

I think NXT going on the road more will help, since the Full Sail crowd eats up everything, so they need more experience with different crowds.

Bo being shoved down people's faces as a babyface for two years gave the heel character underpinning.

The worst part about Daniel Bryan is Daniel Bryan fans. They're lack of acceptance of him losing a match and/or not immediately getting the best of someone in an angle is tiresome. These are the same group of people that bitch about LOLCENAWINS but expect their guy to always win and always "look strong"

Aren't we way past the point of pretending that Bryan fanboys are all Cena-hating workrate nerds?

I assume Bryan fans just want Bryan to be treated like a star commensurate with his level of popularity. It's kinda frustrating that they refuse to do that.

Anyway, don't fans of all wrestlers just want their guy to win all the time? It's just more noticeable with Bryan because he's so awesome, and thus has way more fans than most other guys.

• Like 2

There's also an understandable sense of hopelessness and expectation of the worst happening and paranoia from decades of following WWE though.

You can draw a line from Perfect not winning the Rumble in 90 to WM IX to Vince running with Luger and Nash in 93-95 even though Bret was the one that was drawing to Benoit's short reign to Mysterio's horrific booking as champ to The Punk fiasco in Fall, 11.

There's a tradition of resentment and an understanding that WWE is a big man's territory and a strong babyface territory and how Vince McMahon likes to promote wrestling. Now a guy's come up who is nice and genuine and who most of us have seen wrestling since he was just, just starting out and he's connected with the crowd in a way that is so blatant and obvious and exciting and despite that, they're not going to run with him the way that they've traditionally run with other people. 

I think the most damning thing was last April-May when the had him feuding with Kane and it looked exactly like the way they were making Rey Jr. totally neutered when he had the belt. It was a cross between that and the Ryder destruction from a couple of years ago. That's how they envisioned Bryan as Champ. Really, they should have been pushing him like Backlund was pushed as champion in the early 80s, where he takes a ton of a match and doesn't sell a whole lot. It doesn't make for great matches a lot of the time but the crowd loves a winner.

• Like 2

Aren't we way past the point of pretending that Bryan fanboys are all Cena-hating workrate nerds?

I assume Bryan fans just want Bryan to be treated like a star commensurate with his level of popularity. It's kinda frustrating that they refuse to do that.

Anyway, don't fans of all wrestlers just want their guy to win all the time? It's just more noticeable with Bryan because he's so awesome, and thus has way more fans than most other guys.

True I shouldn't say that all of Bryan fans bitch about LOLCENAWINS or even LOLCENA2.0WINS. There's a difference between wanting your guy to win and bitching and complaining when your guy doesn't win.

If Roman Reigns loses at Fast Lane, I'm not going to start a #CancelWWENetwork movement. If Finn Balor got beat up by Bray Wyatt for months and finally joined him, I wouldn't boo and bitch and complain until they rushed through the rest of the storyline in one week.

The problem is they take things to the extreme when Daniel Bryan doesn't come out on top.

Here's all who Daniel Bryan lost to from 2013-2015:

Rhodes/Sandow

Mysterio/Sin Cara

Sandow

Jericho

Swagger

Young/O'Neil

Ziggler

Henry

Big E

Shield

Ryback

Orton

Barrett

Del Rio

Wyatt Family

Usos/Mysterio

Wyatt

Once he was done beating Orton all the time in their feud and NOT ending up with the belt he lost to Del Rio, the Shield, the Usos, Usos/Mysterio, Bray Wyatt, and Randy Orton. It wasn't like he was losing to lower card guys. Sometimes a guy has to lose in the story in order to make his win over him bigger and better.

Most of those losses come during the Team Hell No phase, the loss to the Usos/Mysterio was when they quick turned him back from a Wyatt Family member to a solo somewhat normal bearded goat of a man.

I think the most damning thing was last April-May when the had him feuding with Kane and it looked exactly like the way they were making Rey Jr. totally neutered when he had the belt. It was a cross between that and the Ryder destruction from a couple of years ago. That's how they envisioned Bryan as Champ. Really, they should have been pushing him like Backlund was pushed as champion in the early 80s, where he takes a ton of a match and doesn't sell a whole lot. It doesn't make for great matches a lot of the time but the crowd loves a winner.

Bryan's WWE Title run had he not gotten injured:

He would run through Kane while Evolution/Shield had their issues.

June-July he would have most likely ran through Orton

August-Present Day he plays the John Cena role of getting beat by Brock for the title and not getting it back

EDIT: It wouldn't have been the greatest run, but he would have won more than he lost and only going down fighting against Brock Lesnar wouldn't have hurt him as Brock's only 2014 matches would have been: win vs. Taker, win vs. Bryan, win vs. Bryan. That's not bad company to be in if you're Daniel Bryan.

What's interesting is Team Cena at Survivor Series becomes Team Bryan with Cena/Sheamus/Show/Reigns as the other guys and most likely Reigns being the winner at the end instead of Dolph

I'm disconnected again, so no worries.  I thought Bryan returning and being in the Rumble meant he was good to go, but I was evidently mistaken.  Now I'm back to "as long as I get to see him have good matches, it's cool".

So what should Daniel Bryan have been doing instead of feuding with Kane? You want to keep him involved with the Authority but most of the main players are involved with someone else? The writing was bad, would people have complained if that was John Cena and Nikki Bella? BTW who won the match every time Daniel Bryan got his ass beat in segments?

I do enjoy that WWE is a big man territory has been for 30+ years yet people still believe it's going to change one day. I love Finn Balor, but I don't have any illusions he will be WWE WHC and if he gets over that hurdle, I don't expect him to have a long reign.

He can feud with Kane.

He can absolutely feud with Kane.

In fact, the way he's feuding with Kane right now is good. 

Yes, it is good. I know people are complaining about it but I'm perfectly fine with it.

He's coming off as really strong, still something of an underdog but not running in fear. Instead he's standing up and facing him. And that's not even as the champ. I might have even put Kane over in one of their four or five matches. It's not that he was feuding with Kane. It was the execution of it and how he was presented. Come on.

It reminds me a little on how the Magazines presented Bob Backlund as champion, actually. 

The problem with some of the NXT call ups is that their characters developed naturally in NXT, only to get called up without that build. Emma and Big E are the most obvious examples.

I think NXT going on the road more will help, since the Full Sail crowd eats up everything, so they need more experience with different crowds.

Bo being shoved down people's faces as a babyface for two years gave the heel character underpinning.

I actually meant Bo instead of Big E.  For Big E, his problem was going from charismatic, dominant face to silent, bodyguard to heel.  I need five could have gotten over, but they never did anything with it, despite using it in his music. 

• Like 1

I'll play devil's advocate and say that Kane coming out at the end might not necessarily be a continuation of the singles feud. "Kane's the Authority's muscle, the Authority doesn't like Bryan and doesn't want him in the Mania main event again, Kane orchestrates a beat-down on Bryan" doesn't have to mean more one on one matches. I hope I'm not being delusional.

tumblr_mv6sqlF4yM1r3yxp8o1_500.jpg

• Like 2

Notes:

- I sure didn't miss King one iota. 

- Roman makes great faces. 

- Ryback/Ziggler would make a good tag team if they could figure out which one of them should be the FIP and which should be the hot tag. Also, SICK Terminator singlet on Ryback! 

- I don't know what King called Murphy's Law but that wasn't the right name. Joe Hennig should go to Japan and tag with somebody in the Bullet Club after this fizzles out. Ambrose doing a variation of the rebound lariat outside the ring was wacky and awesome.

- The shin across Rose's throat for the pin was ice-cold. Damn. 

- I can't believe Miz actually headlined Wrestlemania four years ago. If anyone has anything bad to say about Reigns they should remember this. 

- Rusev also makes great faces. 

- Paige/Alicia was neat for two minutes, especially Paige getting her ass flat tossed out the ring. 

- Call the doctor? Shit call the police, that's a business they assaulted someone in. Nice cravat, Cesaro. 

- If Bryan is going for the furry boots because "he's a goat", he needs to have someone paint hooves on the toes of them. 

I said this in another thread but I didn't see an issue with Daniel Bryan defending the title against Kane.  Unfortunately every top guy including Cena has the dreaded "Kane feud" and if you are The Undertaker you have multiple Kane feuds. Everyone has the "Big Show feud" too. These guys are always there.

It does suck that he came back and went right into feuding with him again but at least the match at Fast Lane against Reigns will be fresh and interesting.

They all drop the ball. Even if the ball is swatted out of their hands, they still drop it.

sean1.jpg

sean2.jpg

So Vince McMahon is like the Million Dollar man, and his idea of a hilarious prank is to hand guys "the ball" then knock it out of their hands?

There was also the time DX had Jason SensAtion dressed up as Shawn and he kept dropping a ball during the interview.

They all drop the ball. Even if the ball is swatted out of their hands, they still drop it.

sean1.jpg

sean2.jpg

So Vince McMahon is like the Million Dollar man, and his idea of a hilarious prank is to hand guys "the ball" then knock it out of their hands?

It all becomes clear. Its been said tons of times that if Vince was a wrestler the Million Dollar Man would've been his character, I just never took it so literally.