DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I'm very happy to see WCW/SMW/Mid South added and hope they continue to add more.  The best way to encourage that is to get as many people watching as possible so I'll be sure to check them all out.  I love the new shows, but putting these shows on are the main reasons this network should exist.  Not just to see all that WWF/E has to offer but also get a true history lesson.  This is a very encouraging sign.

I've been really enjoying watching the old NWA stuff. I didn't become a die hard fan until 89 so seeing all these years of tv I missed is cool. I have seen most of the major shows and angles from the era, but connecting the dots with the weekly build ups have been a lot of fun. So many good angles and promos going on.

• Like 1

Also added a 1983 Mid South show with JYD vs Butch Reed and Dusty Rhodes as the ref  

Keep them coming although the quicker they put them out the worse they are getting with dates.  Oh well most people that are watching it have an idea on the dates anyway

Come on WWE Network....Mr. Wrestling II and Gordon Solie are in Georgia and they are waiting to come hang out in my living room as my social life slowly withers and dies. KEEP THE OLD SCHOOL STUFF COMING!!! These are promising signs, my friends!

Cracking up for the first MSW show just for the NA title changing hands FOUR TIMES in one hour. YOU GET A TITLE! YOU GET A TITLE! EVERYONE GETS A TITLE! Poor Butch getting screwed out of his strap twice on the same show.

Again, the generic entrance music is a downer. In a day and age where only the tippy-toppest dudes actually had walk-out music and it was ingrained in their character, it really blows hearing JYD rolling out to canned jazz music instead of "Another One Bites the Dust." Especially when Watts and Boyd Pierce are actually name-checking the song on commentary.

They own Georgia. Not sure how much of it is left 

What little I've seen from Georgia was really shitty fifth generation VHS dubs on the Legends of Wrestling shows (not counting the WWF Techwood Drive shows.)  I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing anything resembling a decent archive if/when episodes are released.

Wouldn't they have owned the GCW footage since 1984, when the WWF bought out the Briscos, Jones and Barnett for controlling interest in Georgia Championship...? I've always wondered about that with the territories that Vince "purchased" (as opposed to sabotaging/running out of business).

Edit: Well, what Georgia footage there was, anyway...

Watching the AWA card with Midnight Express Vs Midnight Rockers and there is a jobber squash with Billy Jack Strong who I don't know but who looks like Bret Hart put himself on an IV drip of the finest steroids 1988 had to offer. He absolutely mauls Tom "Rocky" Stone who looks a lot like Mr Belding. It looks quite a lot like a Steiner squash and is all sorts of hurty. Nothing looks good but I kind of love it and wonder what became of BJ Strong.

EDIT: OH SHIT HE'S STEVE DISALVO! I was on rspw in the '90s, I definitely should have known that.

EDIT AGAIN! HERE'S FILM LEGEND DENNIS STAMP!

• Like 1

I'm hoping the Hennig/Bockwinkel broadway shows up in the AWA stuff. It was at the very end of '86. That way I can stop preaching about it and will have help in spreading the gospel of the best 60 minute draw I've ever seen.

Pretty much.  WCW only ran at 6 on Saturday nights on TBS, which in 85, Cable was only starting to get rolling.  By that time, Vince already had 3 Syndicated Shows on local TV, which everyone got, 2 Cable shows in All American and TNT, Prime Time was starting up on cable, and Saturday Night's Main Event on NBC, which everyone got. The Rock n' Wrestling connection didn't hurt either.  

And, in 85, JCP was rebuilding its base in TBS since until March, Vince had *that* slot too.  They were finding footing getting old GCW fans back after the merger and pretty much obliterating Watts out of existance.

Crockett also had syndication in the 80s, not just TBS.  I grew up in Baltimore and it was on at noon Saturdays and Sundays on one of the local UHF stations (channel 54).