DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

Funny thing I heard on Game of Thrones season 4 commentary from episode 1 talking about how early on they were very worried about accents not matching up with different regions. A friend told them about how in the Lord of the Rings the 4 Hobbits have 4 different ascents even though they lived their whole lives near each other.

So if Munn can't do a British accent unless you actually think about it then it won't be a big deal.

God damn I miss AOTS.

Layla Kayleigh, Alison Haslip and Sara Underwood not on my television every night is a bad thing.

Goddamt, We're supposed to be talking about Marvel stuff.  Sorry..

God damn I miss AOTS.

Layla Kayleigh, Alison Haslip and Sara Underwood not on my television every night is a bad thing.

Yeah, I have no idea how they didn't get picked up by another network when G4 went under.  It wasn't their fault that they were the only show on that network worth watching.  They did the best coverage for things like E3 and Comic-con and while those conventions have become more popular there is still a vacuum in coverage since G4 went away. 

God damn I miss AOTS.

Yeah, I have no idea how they didn't get picked up by another network when G4 went under. It wasn't their fault that they were the only show on that network worth watching. They did the best coverage for things like E3 and Comic-con and while those conventions have become more popular there is still a vacuum in coverage since G4 went away.

Side note about that decade-old sorority e-mail, why didn't Rebecca just tell her sorority sisters what she really wanted them to do: "Look girls, we really need to start having sex with some of those dudes in that frat."

I dunno if I can get past Peter from Divergent being the good guy.  His face is so very punchable.

BUT MOTHER FUCKING MARTIN QUERNS FROM OZ IS DR. STORM~!

i think I am slowly beginning to accept the whole orphaned daughter adopted by black people version of Sue Storm. 

My girlfriend knows a Filipino couple who adopted the black son of a couple they were friends with who both died in a car accident.  The two families were very close and the boy didn't want to live with his mother or father's relatives because he considered the Filipino couple to be his second set of parents.  The boy's living family wisely stood out of the way and permitted the adoption.  Tragic story with a happy ending.

Hopefully the movie will dig into the family angle to give Sue and Johnny's characters some depth. 

The only weird thing about Deadpool is how mid 90s they're leaning it when the character's current popularity broke out in the mid 00s and there's less overlap there than you'd think. I'm only really a fan of the Cable/Deadpool era version so I probably won't even end up seeing this thing until it hits the Redbox, if even then.

I liked Days of Future Past. I thought he was very clever in balancing the cast by mainly using the future mutants solely for action sequences (though maybe they sacrificed too many characters from First Class off screen). I had maybe one major plot issue (why they didn't utilize Quicksilver more, given the stakes) and kind of missed Rose Byrne but I thought it was far stronger than First Class, which was terribly uneven.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Apocalypse. I think that Singer benefited from the changing landscape since X-Men and X2 where now it's at least a little easier to have superheroes be superheroes and not guys in military like leather costumes (and the fact that the 70s are, by their nature, sort of outlandish and out of time). I think the more fantastic elements of Apocalypse will come through in a way they never could have in 2002 or whenever.

Fantastic Four is going to be a mess, I think. There are so many elements in that trailer that I want nothing to do with in a Fantastic Four movie.