DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

Current estimate for opening weekend is $26.  Yeah, this will probably be a mega flop.

For all it's faults, Batman Forever can be fun, if you're in the mood for over-the-top camp.  It also helps if it's on free tv and you're not paying for it,  I'd gladly watch Batman Forever if it was on TBS tonight.  I doubt I'll even want to surf by when FF 2015 hits FX.

Also, I had never heard the term "body horror" a week ago.  I'm already tired of it.

Unpopular opinion time: The Schumacher Bat-films smoke the shitty Burton ones. By virtue of the Burton ones being just as ridiculous and nonsensical while taking themselves hyper seriously while the Schumacher films are content to be insane sendups to Batman 66.

Also Batman 89 is boring and terrible and Jack Nicholson's Joker fucking sucks.

COME AT ME!

I thought one of the smartest thing Roger Ebert ever said was when he pointed out that while Burton's films were good movies, they weren't good Batman movies.

Dude was way more into the villains and couldn't even hide that he found Bruce Wayne a bit dull. 

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion time: The Schumacher Bat-films smoke the shitty Burton ones. By virtue of the Burton ones being just as ridiculous and nonsensical while taking themselves hyper seriously while the Schumacher films are content to be insane sendups to Batman 66.

Also Batman 89 is boring and terrible and Jack Nicholson's Joker fucking sucks.

COME AT ME!

I thought one of the smartest thing Roger Ebert ever said was when he pointed out that while Burton's films were good movies, they weren't good Batman movies.

Dude was way more into the villains and couldn't even hide that he found Bruce Wayne a bit dull. 

To be fair, its not like he was wrong on that count. . . .

More fun with gifs:

I-dont-Thing_zpsnc2bzjqe.gif

It seems FF's main strike against it was re-using the "Hulk vs. the army" scenes from Ang Lee's HULK

That explosion looks horrible.  Wouldn't it just hit the ground and not explode since the fuel isn't in that part of the tank?  Then again I haven't brushed up on my tank diagrams. 

I don't plan on seeing this, but I thought Chronicle was decent and figured this movie would be at least watchable.  If anything, Chronicle is the best live action Akira movie we are going to get.  FF just looks like bleh.

Entertainment Weekly is basically confirming the stuff about Trank verbally abusing Kate Mara on set is true.  He didn't want her for the film, but Fox pulled rank in exchange for Trank casting Miles Teller as Reed Richards.

There was uncertainty about who should star. Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm was set from the start, but the studio wanted a different actor than Miles Teller for Reed Richards. Trank won that battle, even though he later developed a mutually disdainful relationship with the actor – but Fox insisted that Kate Mara be given the role of Sue Storm, and Trank treated her badly as a result. Some say he was cruel, others say merely cold. No one says they got along.

Different sources say Trank was indecisive, others say the studio was hemming and hawing on his choices. Either way, the script was not finalized until late in preproduction, and continued to change right through reshoots, which stalled crew workers who were trying to build sets, make costumes, props, and prep the movie. This created confusion and stress from the get-go that often boiled over among department heads trying to put together pieces of a movie that was still in flux. That’s not in doubt, but the question is: who was at fault?

In terms of career impact:

Trank has fucked himself

Teller won't be helped at all

Mara will go back to TV.

Jordan might be OK.

Jamie Bell can presumably benefit from people forgetting he was in this film

In terms of career impact:

Trank has fucked himself

Teller won't be helped at all

Mara will go back to TV.

Jordan might be OK.

Jamie Bell can presumably benefit from people forgetting he was in this film

Mara's already shot The Martian, so if that turns out well this won't hurt her especially with people believing the director shat on her over politics.

Most actors can survive a bad movie or two. Look at Hugh Grant, he's been in loads of loads of terrible movies (and very few good ones), had a hooker scandal and deeply antagonised the British tabloids during the phone hacking enquiry, and he's still getting work.

Directors, that's another story.