DVDVR Message Board

2015 Hall of Fame

HumanChessgame

Almost all of Cyndi Lauper's mainstream career happened post-"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun," no?

She took Hulk Hogan to the Grammy's in 1984 and her career didn't tank afterwards. The only people who say that are anti-wrestling people and there's absolutely no raw data to back that assertion up. 

I remember talking to some co-workers about the Cyndi Lauper vs Madonna comparsions. Which, I know both but am clearly too young to remember since I was born in '87. They all agreed that the only reason Cyndi didn't have a better career is because Madonna has the biggest ego on her and that Cyndi was way more talented. But Cyndi's music helped me get through my teenage years, so Cyndi 4 ever <3

That and I think it's safe to say that most people will at least know "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" if they played it. It's always so awkward when they bring back people and there's like absolutely no response to them. 

I remember talking to some co-workers about the Cyndi Lauper vs Madonna comparsions. Which, I know both but am clearly too young to remember since I was born in '87. They all agreed that the only reason Cyndi didn't have a better career is because Madonna has the biggest ego on her and that Cyndi was way more talented. But Cyndi's music helped me get through my teenage years, so Cyndi 4 ever <3

That and I think it's safe to say that most people will at least know "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" if they played it. It's always so awkward when they bring back people and there's like absolutely no response to them.

Damn thats a pretty good assesment of the Lauper vs Madonna argument. As a 34 year old man i have no problem admitting to having no less than 6 Cyndi Lauper songs in the regular rotation. It always kind of baffled me when she just kind of wandered into obsurity, but you're right, she was an artist, Madonna was a gimmick.

Could Bill Apter be a possibility?  He's been featured in several of their documentaries and his magazines were instrumental in giving wrestlers and promotions exposure to nationwide markets that the particular territories didn't have much other coverage in for decades.

• Like 1

Yeah this is kind of a tough one, and i feel like in the coming years its gonna get even tougher. Like in two years when we're all like "Really, their inducting Steve Blackman?" But anyway, i gotta think the Demos go in, Ray Stevens, can't have Savage with no Elisabeth, JBL I'd save for Texas, ditto Freebirds, maybe Hodge and I'm surprised Lauper hasn't been inducted yet.

Screw that, I would LOVE Steve Blackman to go in!

Honky has been offered and haggled over the contract for it.

The problem is once you get passed him you're down to the Brutus Beefcakes and Hillbilly Jims of the 80s...

...although I wouldn't have a problem with either going in.

Also, Rikishi would seem like a no-brainer considering. Every other viable Samoan (besides Rock) is already in. And we know the boys can do a good induction speech.

We talked about this last year - Rikishi seems to be a lock besides the obvious reasons since they also have the Usos to induct him.

Bundy is the other big 80s name that is always rumored - I think the reason not in is somewhere in between "too many demands" and "health reasons"

The way I understood it was that Bundy's gonna go in when 'Mania is within driving distance of Jersey. He won't fly out.

The problem is once you get passed him you're down to the Brutus Beefcakes and Hillbilly Jims of the 80s...

Also, Rikishi would seem like a no-brainer considering. Every other viable Samoan (besides Rock) is already in. And we know the boys can do a good induction speech.

We talked about this last year - Rikishi seems to be a lock besides the obvious reasons since they also have the Usos to induct him.

Bundy is the other big 80s name that is always rumored - I think the reason not in is somewhere in between "too many demands" and "health reasons"

The way I understood it was that Bundy's gonna go in when 'Mania is within driving distance of Jersey. He won't fly out.

But when they were in Jersey, no Bundy.

Well it's entirely possible that I don't know shit.

Well it's entirely possible that I don't know shit.

Would anyone mind if I use this comment as a signature? You know, without context. :P

But when they were in Jersey, no Bundy.Well it's entirely possible that I don't know shit.Would anyone mind if I use this comment as a signature? You know, without context. :P

You can, but it still won't beat AxB's.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2015/1/18/7782293/lanny-poffo-randy-savage-stephanie-mcmahon-affair-rumour

Holy shit...I don't really buy the whole Savage/Stephanie thing, but Jesus, Lanny gives the worst response he could have given. Not only that, but I struggled reading some of it because of how indecipherable some of it was. You'd think Lanny was getting paid by the word.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2015/1/18/7782293/lanny-poffo-randy-savage-stephanie-mcmahon-affair-rumour

Holy shit...I don't really buy the whole Savage/Stephanie thing, but Jesus, Lanny gives the worst response he could have given. Not only that, but I struggled reading some of it because of how indecipherable some of it was. You'd think Lanny was getting paid by the word.

Lanny's just one of those guys who likes to talk a lot. Reading all that all he had to say was "Randy had standards and he wasn't going to ruin a girls reputation if something happened" But like I said, Lanny's one of those guys who likes to talk and he'll spend two hours explaining something that could have been summed up in a minute.

He is a poet after all.

Lanny: "Do you know what the legal age of consent in Minnesota is?"

Wade Keller: "No, I don't right off, honestly."

Lanny: "Well, I googled Connecticut's..."

I've said it before, I'll say it again, Lanny Poffo is the creepiest man in wrestling.