DVDVR Message Board

2015 Hall of Fame

HumanChessgame

. i'd like to see a Japanese entrant. i agree that Muta should be an obvious choice. 

Muta who just headlined a TNA PPV two months ago? Not likely. They'd put Hakushi or TAKA in before they'd put Muta in.

I think they're realising themselves that they're running out of deserving names, especially with not wanting it to all be posthumous. The ones the're probably saving to be headline inductions in a few years are Rock, Triple H, Taker and Vince himself (and you know Steff is dying to put herself in the HoF as well). Howard Finkel is bound to go in sooner or later... Finlay and Regal deserve it, but they're in the "Wembley?" file with Davey Boy.

I would love for Cyndi Lauper to get in. She seems like the last person that made the WWF boom in the 80s to get in. I'd argue she was the most important person to be associated with wrestling to never squeeze into spandex with the intention of wrestling a full match. Unless she had a match and I am not aware of anyway. But still, she got the WWE over and is still willing to cut a bitch. Can't get more pro wrestling than that tbh

I though Lauper was supposed to go in two years ago (the NY year) but they were able to get Trump as their celebrity instead.

Did she turn it down, or did they pick Trump instead?

If it's the former, then I wonder what her reason was.

If it's the latter, then that is just dumb. In my opinion, Cyndi did far more for the WWE during the MTV era than Trump ever could. At least as far as viewers go. How much of it was on her, and how much of it was on Hogan, Mr T, and let's give some of that credit to Captain Lou, is anyone's guess. Nonetheless, she was definitely a contributor. 

Separate, but relevant question:

Did her video with the Captain for "Girls Wanna Have Fun" come out before her WWF run, or during her WWF run? I feel like I should know this.

• Like 1

In a horrible way, all this talk about Liz makes me wonder if Lex ever gets inducted. I guess if Sting gets inducted, Lex could be the one to introduce him instead of Flair. Lex seems really with it these days and has looked pretty good in the Monday Night War videos.

Even if Luger's on good terms with the WWE, if not an employee, and even if he's in the Monday Night War videos and could do it- the fact of how much WWE puts Rick Rude in their merchandise (putting out T-shirts, figures sometimes, put him in WWE Supercards), but haven't bit the bullet and inducted him into the Hall of Fame yet- makes me wonder if that would boil down to "Luger can be in WWE's payroll, and he can be on WWE programming- but he officially lost his right to be a WWE Hall of Famer the moment he walked into the Mall of America on Nitro"  (which seems viable, given how WWE can be petty like that.)

I though Lauper was supposed to go in two years ago (the NY year) but they were able to get Trump as their celebrity instead.

If it's the latter, then that is just dumb. In my opinion, Cyndi did far more for the WWE during the MTV era than Trump ever could. At least as far as viewers go. How much of it was on her, and how much of it was on Hogan, Mr T, and let's give some of that credit to Captain Lou, is anyone's guess. Nonetheless, she was definitely a contributor. 

You're killing me here. Trump has a big network show and is in the news all the time. Much bigger Q factor than Lauper. The HOF is a nostalgia-engine, PR Tool, carrot to offer older legends to keep them compliant. I actually think it's a little crazy they didn't put Stacy in when she was with Clooney just on the off chance he might show up to see her go in.

You're killing me here. Trump has a big network show and is in the news all the time. Much bigger Q factor than Lauper. The HOF is a nostalgia-engine, PR Tool, carrot to offer older legends to keep them compliant. I actually think it's a little crazy they didn't put Stacy in when she was with Clooney just on the off chance he might show up to see her go in.
Okay, i reached a bit when I said "...than Trump ever could." Still begs the question, how much influence did she have putting the WWF out there during the MTV era? Could Thunderlips and Clubber Lang have done it alone? Perhaps.

Yeah, the NBC/Main Event thing played a big part. I guess I got short sighted due to thinking about the HOF and not really much further than that.  

Also, let me add in there, that I realize Mr T, by that point, was a bigger deal than when he was in Rocky III a few years earlier. I was trying to being silly with the names, not snarky.  :)

Not the most exciting inductee but I could see somebody like Jim Johnston going in for musical contributions.

How about the Steiners for a tag team?

Yes!

I would pay big money to see Scott Steiner's acceptance speech.

There would be no point in continuing the HOF if the Steiners were inducted. Nothing could top Scott Steiner's acceptance speech.

I think Ray Stevens is a good pick for this year. I would really love to see Stan Hansen inducted but if Mania is in Dallas next year it could probably happen there.

I wanna see Lance Russell in there in the future. 

Steven's has been rumored for a while now and I could see him being inducted along with Savage since he's not a headliner it wouldn't affect the "not too many dead people" self imposed rule they have for these things. That's all they really care about. The top three guys they'll put on the USA special the night after Mania.

Assuming Savage is the top guy this year I could see DDP, Diesel (Not Nash...he'll get that NWO group nom), Cyndi for the celeb induction, maybe Zybysko. It all depends on who they want to save for WM 32 if its in Texas next year. Sting would make a no brainer decision for this year though.

Okay, i reached a bit when I said "...than Trump ever could." Still begs the question, how much influence did she have putting the WWF out there during the MTV era? Could Thunderlips and Clubber Lang have done it alone? Perhaps.

That also ties into the question- could WWF have GOTTEN Mr.T to show up if Cyndi Lauper hadn't given the WWF a bit of cool and allied it with the MTV, Rock and Wrestling era first? Between the fact Lauper started the ball rolling before Mr.T did, and the WWF and MTV had a big relationship due to Lauper before NBC came into the mix with them (with only MTV trying to get Vince to sell them a part of the company ending the relationship abruptly.)

That also ties into the question- could WWF have GOTTEN Mr.T to show up if Cyndi Lauper hadn't given the WWF a bit of cool and allied it with the MTV, Rock and Wrestling era first? Between the fact Lauper started the ball rolling before Mr.T did, and the WWF and MTV had a big relationship due to Lauper before NBC came into the mix with them (with only MTV trying to get Vince to sell them a part of the company ending the relationship abruptly.)

You are strengthening my point with Lauper in the WWE HOF. No Cyndi, No Rock-n-Wrestling, No Mr T. No NBC Deal likely, Nowhere near the notoriety, No massive income to buyout other promotions, etc. I might be excessive in my comments, but it is still plausible. Though, I do wonder how well the MTV deal would have panned out.

This is the first I ever heard of MTV wanting a piece of the WWF. The stuff with Cyndi absolutley did absolutley help the WWE get to where it got in the mid 80's. If there's no Brawl To End It All and later War to Settle The Score. The WWF would have never gotten to its global levels.

• Like 1

That is true, Matt. I am just being Cyndi's cheerleader. I can't recall if Captain Lou is in the Hall. If not, could she at least be able to accept his reward.

Lou was put in in 1996