DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble 2015

Matt D

It's not like there was no way out of this.  If they had let Bryan stay in until the final five or so and had him working with Reigns against a bunch of heels to survive, and had his elimination be something epic, like three heels took him out and Reigns was then left alone to survive and also get avenge him.

Maaaaybe there could have been a chance for a different reaction?

Also I think it might help for Reigns to be more beat up when it's over and not so goddamn happy and like "Yeah, of course I won.  I'm that guy!"

The reaction probably would have been worse.

Dude, Reigns was bleeding and looked like hell. Not sure when, but someone busted him open hardway.

Man, I could watch Lesnar hurl dudes around with MEAN GUY FACE on his mug for an hour before getting tired

Hansen in late 80s-early 90s All Japan clubbering — and getting clubbered by — Gordy, Hansen and Kawada would've been a hoot....

His face was so great at the beginning when the stooges were running around. He looked like "I can't believe I'm in this overbooked shit.  Let me just strip the breathing parts out of a few of these people so I can have a respectable fight."

And then he just walked around the ring killing people until everyone settled the fuck down.

Words and narrative make Brock mad

Wish they had shown Brock awakening after the splash on the table so we could've seen him fling the medics into the crowd....

That's the other thing with Reigns. They turned Rollins and made him a self-important weasel. They made Ambrose into Terry Funk. Reigns...is still Reigns from the Shield. He hasn't evolved a bit since the split. I think that might be where some of tbe backlash is coming from.

Well now that my Greg rage has passed... Mostly.

How in gods name did they think the right way to go with this match is it be dominated by Big Show and Kane late? Were they intentionally TRYING to make sure people who are sick of the same old booking and guys would be pissed off? Because this entire thing seems like it was an intentional troll job.

It's like the booking was designed to let Vince live in his cocoon of delusion for as many seconds as humanly possible. The crowd weren't shitting on what they and everyone else could see was coming, they were booing the hated Authority!

I think a couple of things need to be reset here. 

1) The doom and gloom over Bryan is silly. Bryan is still gonna be fine and be booked as a top babyface. Didn't he say he wanted to be "The Smackdown" guy?Great. He's Edge. That's not where he should be, but he's still a top guy. He's fine. I logically get him not winning the Rumble because they don't want to book the exact same story two years in a row. It's stupid, but I get the logic. That said, they needed to come out of it with an angle. But yeah, this board went a little off the rails with all the Bryan and Punk stuff. The hyperbole from both factions is ridiculous.

2) Reigns is toast. What they've just created is another Del Rio and Sheamus. He'll be a top guy and he may actually get really good and at some point the hardcore fans are going to come back to him, but he's just another main event guy. I don't think he'll ever become a Cena-level draw. He's just another main event cog in the machine.

3) The booking of the match was awful. The standout performer was Wyatt and I literally have no clue what they do with him for WM. All this just for him to lose to Taker? If not Taker, do they go with him and Bryan? I guess that works. 

4) Ziggler made a lot of sense from a kayfabe perspective since he did get that huge moment at SurSer. No babyfaces shined during the show. Shit, DDP was really the only one to clean house. That event needed some babyfaces to shine. It's a fucking babyface company for the last 60 years and yet...I saw two old giants just toss our heroes out like sacks of shit. 

Hard to reconcile this one. I mean, 2014's backlash was silly because Batista as returning star makes a lot of sense. The event itself was fine, and it was silly for fans to get mad at Bryan not winning there when it was explicitly said he wasn't in the match.

This year, though, that's some all-time bad booking. From Bryan's non-factorness, the lack of babyface shine, Bray inexplicably playing Diesel, the parade of mid-carder after mid-carder, and Kane and Big Show being the focal points of the show 17 years after they functioned as actual viable winners... it's just a disaster.

On top of all that, this is now year 5 of the great Rock comeback. Who has he helped? What rub can he give?  Law of diminishing returns. Attitude Era navel-gazing is the worst. 

Oh well...tomorrow night should be fun at least. If it goes poorly, I think you'll see a lot of people check out. 

I think they could have gotten some good heel mileage out of Daniel Bryan's elimination.  They knew it was going get a big reaction so they should have better plan in place for it. Seth Rollings coming out and being the asshole that got him eliminated would have been great for the character.  It gives them both something to do too.

Okay, so, curiosity. Does anyone remember what the energy around Cena in 2005 was like? Was he getting the same "ugh shut up" treatment Roman gets now or was that more in 2006? I have the network but I don't really have the time to go back and check at the moment.

He was getting similar treatment.

I think it was horrendous booking but I think everyone is missing the mark on Why Reigns Doesn't Work.

It has almost nothing to do with his work rate or his promos. Very many people in wrestling have had those issues and gotten over just fine. It's more that he has no fire. Like Lex Luger for most of his career. Sure, he gestures like he's mad or whatever but it doesn't ring true. It's like he's playing a wrestler. Who knows if he'll ever get it, but he doesn't have it at all and as such his push is a waste for now.

• Like 1

I'm behind Daniel Bryan as much as anyone else, but suggesting Lesnar/Bryan will headline what is the premier B level PPV (between 2 of the Big 4 PPVs)... that's crazy.

So, yeah, of course it'll happen there instead of where it should.

Okay, so, curiosity. Does anyone remember what the energy around Cena in 2005 was like? Was he getting the same "ugh shut up" treatment Roman gets now or was that more in 2006? I have the network but I don't really have the time to go back and check at the moment.

Don't think it started till around 2008 or so. 

Cena debuted in 2002. Won the US title in 2004 and the World in 2005. That is almost 3 years from debuting to world title.

Reigns has just started his singles run and is getting the title. A year of getting the US title and not losing in the upper mid card would do wonders for him.

Victator, on 26 Jan 2015 - 12:24 AM, said:

In non Reigns news, Wade Barrett looked like shit in the Rumble.

Is there a guy who didn't? Bray is the only one I can think of.

In other non Reigns news Seth Rollins is fucking awesome. I don't see how a guy can go out and hang with Lesnar and Cena like that and not be legit. That table dive and the phoenix splash were the highlights of the show. Brock is just on another level. Reigns beating him would be a fucking joke.

Even Bray got dumped like a sack of shit by Big Show and Kane. They are the only two to not come out looking bad, they could only be subdued by their own infighting and the returning hero The Rock. just terrible booking of the rumble.

That's the other thing with Reigns. They turned Rollins and made him a self-important weasel. They made Ambrose into Terry Funk. Reigns...is still Reigns from the Shield. He hasn't evolved a bit since the split. I think that might be where some of tbe backlash is coming from.

They really need to give him new music and ring gear.  But in their quest for the new Cena, they failed to develop these basic concepts.

Ultimately, I think Reigns will be fine.  But it's going to hurt like the devil to get him over--for a while.  Not forever, though.

Cena, Brock, and Rollins are probably three of the top five in ring guys in the company (with Bryan and Cesaro) and they absolutely delivered in spades. It's a shame the rest of the show was booked so badly it overshadows a serious MOTYC.

• Like 1

Yeah I get time lines mixed up but when did Cena face HHH? 2006? It seemed after H did the you can't wrestle schitk fans started turning. Though, I don't think until around 08 that Cena got the we are tired of you being on top go away heat. Yes, Cena is over and will always be but some fans, want him gone(I don't). 

re: Rollins: I'm going to put this in spoiler tags so as not to invoke one shitstorm in the middle of another shitstorm.

I'm serious.

Dude is kind of the guy to beat for March Madness now, right? Evolution Tags, stepping into a top heel spot smoothly, Ambrose feud, Survivor Series, and now this? Like he's the guy. How is he not the guy.

EDIT: And yeah Cena/HHH was 06, and Cena/RVD was three months later.

• Like 1