DVDVR Message Board

2013-2014 COLLEGE BASKETBALL THREAD

RIPPA

As a fan of March Madness, I'm all for one and dones. A lot of these upsets come because teams that play together for 3-4 years go up against "name" schools that field a bunch of freshman and sophs. The majors get NBA prospects for a year or two, the kids do their internship then get paid and we get awesome upsets in March.

It's win, win, win as far as I'm concerned.

Oh man, the pbp guy doing the Gonzaga and Oklahoma State game said "Hack a Polack" in reference to Oklahoma continually fouling Gonzaga's big man from Poland, Karnowski. He's apologized like five times since. So awkward. Just about the only entertaining thing during this God-awful second half.

Oh man, the pbp guy doing the Gonzaga and Oklahoma State game said "Hack a Polack" in reference to Oklahoma continually fouling Gonzaga's big man from Poland, Karnowski. He's apologized like five times since. So awkward. Just about the only entertaining thing during this God-awful second half.

I caught the last two minutes - which took approximately 25 in real time - and was wondering what he kept apologizing for. After reading it on twitter, I have to admit it got a good chuckle out of me. I'm half-Polish so I guess it's alright for me to laugh about it.

Of course if my Grammy heard that, she'd be writing angry letters to the station as we speak.

Sounds like my relatives over 50. Maybe he's just a huge Sidney Pollack fan. It is interesting that it is a word derived from a Polish word, Polak. We are not a clever species.

The announcer should lose his job. If he's going to say that on-air I can only imagine what he says off-air. One of my best friends is Polish-American, his mother and father were born in Poland. I'm sure his Dad didn't feel too good about hearing that on a college basketball broadcast and then the guy having the audacity to laugh about it for a good minute until he realized it was offensive and this isn't his local hangout spot.

Who said it? I heard it and while I'm not Polish, thought given how sports leagues now are trying to get rid of that sort of thing, immediately thought he would catch a ton of heat over it. Moreso now than in the past especially with social media.

I completely agree with what pipGofern said about the 1-and-done deal with college kids. Its made the tournament a little more entertaining especially when you don't have any rooting interest for anyone.  Also, looks like Marcus Smart wasted a year in college when he could have been leading the Orlando Magic to a 25-win season! :P

I wasn't rooting against Duke because of Parker. I was rooting against them because it's fucking Duke.

Yeah I was meaning more that the two top players in the draft(at least hype wise) going out in the first round. Duke can go screw itself though. . . 

"It's March and it's Mayhem."  It sure is!

Does the fact that Coastal Carolina is up at halftime follow the same unwritten rule that you're not supposed to jinx a perfect game by talking about it?  It might as well happen this year, I guess.

la la la (covering my ears) la la la

Does the fact that Coastal Carolina is up at halftime follow the same unwritten rule that you're not supposed to jinx a perfect game by talking about it?  It might as well happen this year, I guess.

Based on the first minutes of the 2nd half, I think you are too late.  Completely different Virginia team so far

You jinxed it ! :)