DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

I bought Tales From the Borderlands, but man, is it rough to get into even though I typically like Telltale's stuff. Almost all the characters are some variation of the "snarky, slightly nerdy young white dude" trope, and even though I don't dislike that trope, it's embodied so obnoxiously in this game that even if that's the point, I'm having a hard time with it.

I found The Crew for six bucks at Target on clearance, so I'm going to play that and see if I enjoy it. I am not a huge driving game guy, but I do like open-world driving games. 

I decided to cave in to all the good reviews and picked up Witcher III for PS4. If I like it enough I'll get the Hearts of Stone DLC.

I bought it for $24 digitally on Cyber Monday. I have yet to download it to my HD. I probably will upgrade my HD on my PS4 after the first of the year, honestly

Hey guys. I was surprised with an XBox One Holiday Bundle for Christmas (yay!). I can look up Xbox One recommendations pretty easily (not that I mind them) but I do have a PS4 so I have played most next-gen games. The bigger question is, my 360 died about two years before next gen, were there any late-run exclusive backwards-compatible 360 games I should go back and check out?

Got Lego Dimensions for my girlfriend. Watching her play the Simpsons level and shiiiit...they probably just sold a bunch of the add on junk. She loves the Lego games and I want to see how stuff like Doctor Who gets the Lego treatment.

They're real good at what they do...

Finally got a PS4 - I flipped my Wii U collection for it, as we have our first child on the way and spending $500 on a system and games wasn't happening - and we got Batman and FO4, as well as Resogun and some old sports games. What perhaps less known games should I get?

I wanted to play KOTOR after hearing so much about it and being into Star Wars shit after TFA. Too bad I can't get it to play on Windows 7 64 bit no matter what work around I try.  :(

I had this same issue on 7 and 8. The game just closes as soon as you start it. It also has no external controller support, which is pretty stupid.

If you have a 360, the OG Xbox version is backward-compatible. 

Also, KotOR and KotOR II are king-sized, and now I want to play them again, 

Yeah, the good thing about playing on PC is that there is a mod to restore the cut content from KotOR II. Even then, most people say the game still feels rushed. Too bad because it was on its way to being an all-timer before LucasArts rushed it out the door for the Christmas shopping season. 

Obsidian is my favorite developer out there, though. For me, everything they do is gold. 

I've got Jet Set Radio Future as the best OG Xbox game followed by Panzer Dragoon Orta, but KotOR is number three for me and KotOR II is top six or so. I'd throw Def Jam: Fight For New York and Halo: CE into that mix (the local multi in Halo was pretty great). 

I wanted to play KOTOR after hearing so much about it and being into Star Wars shit after TFA. Too bad I can't get it to play on Windows 7 64 bit no matter what work around I try.  :(

I had this same issue on 7 and 8. The game just closes as soon as you start it. It also has no external controller support, which is pretty stupid.

If you have a 360, the OG Xbox version is backward-compatible. 

Also, KotOR and KotOR II are king-sized, and now I want to play them again, 

Damn, didn't even realize it was made for Xbox. $20+ used for a 13 year old game? $85 for II? Too rich for my blood of games I just wanted to try. 

Are people really selling KotOR II for $85 used, complete? Absurd, and also nice to know that I apparently have another over-inflated priced game on my shelves next to all my Nintendo, Saturn, and Dreamcast stuff. 

I assumed that there would be a lot of KotORs out there since it got a greatest hits reprint. I'm sure mom 'n pops have it for cheaper than that. 

His issue was that it crashes to desktop when played on Win7 (64-bit), so that won't help him. 

I've played a good four hours of The Crew, but outside of the first couple of forced missions, I've mostly been traversing the country, which is actually really fun and relaxing. Best six bucks I've spent on a video game in awhile. 

I always wanted to play it and it was the first game I bought with my Xbox when I got it back in 2004.  But I couldn't get the game to go past the escape pod part right at the beginning.  I returned it three times at the same On Cue and all three froze at the same spot.  I could play it and get further on a friends xbox but on mine it just wouldn't work.  So I returned it and got Ninja Gaiden instead.  Then I played both games on computer in 2007 and it was good.

KoTor not running on Win 7 is a known issue with known fixes. 1st is to turn off Steam Overlay (if you have the Steam version).

2nd is to go to the actual exe file, right click for properties, and turn on XP Sp 2 compatibility mode.

I am splitting my Christmas-vacation-game time playing two very different RPGs: Diablo III (PC, fun game so far, though I cannot image how people put hundreds of hours playing it) and Ni No Kuni (PS3, I had this game lying around for more than a year without ever playing it; so far - I have only played it for 4 hours or so - I would say the game mechanics are great, what a pitty that Square has not made a FF game which such fun mechanics in 15 years or so, the artwork looks great, though I should mention that the cut between anime style low framerates during the cutscenes and the normal framerates during normal gameplay is a bit dizzying).