DVDVR Message Board

Peace out Jimmy Del Ray

Lacelle

Nooooo! He was the greatest, most awesome throwback sleazy dude in Smoky Mountain and was a perfect, perfect partner for Tom Pritchard in the Heavenly Bodies. Aw, man. If I recall, he wasn't the greatest interview ever, but Cornette and Pritchard could take care of that while he looked sleazy in the background. He was a part of probably my greatest live wrestling moment ever as "that asshole who cheered for the heels" in a territory where it was still very real to them, dammit.

Godspeed, "Gigolo" Jimmy Del Ray.

3/12/94 Johnson City, TN

Heavenly Bodies beat Rock & Roll Express marathon 60 minutes.

3/13/94 Knoxville, TN

Heavenly Bodies beat Rock & Roll Express 60-minute Marathon match.

3/18/94 Barbourville, KY 625

Heavenly Bodies beat Robert Gibson & Tim Horner in a 60-minute Marathon match.

3/19/94 Harlan KY 450

Heavenly Bodies beat Robert Gibson & Tracy Smothers in a 60-minute Marathon match.

One of my favorite house show loops.  Bodies had the tag titles and were about to leave SMW for the WWF.  Cornette had the Bodies and the RnR Express wrestle for the title almost every night during the three weeks prior to the Bodies' departure.  Four ironman matches in eight days, and the two teams wrestled a regular one-fall match on every house show in between (the usual finish was the Bodies losing the match but retaining the tag titles by dq).  RnR were wayyyyy past their primes by this point, but still could work a tag match and pop the crowd.

Anyone remember why Morton was replaced on a few shows?  Seems like I should remember, but I don't.  Per the results, he was only off the road 3 or 4 days.

*Bad sentiment about heaven needing another body to fulfill the sleaze factor*

I know very little of his work, but I know he was good, really shitty thing to happen.

I'll never forget the awesome Heavenly Bodies-Rock n Roll Express match at Survivor Series that the crowd couldn't have cared less about.

Fuck those ungrateful bastards.  That was a great match.  HB's should've had a better run in the WWE.

Jimmy's moonsault was fucking PREMIER~!

RIP to the Gigolo. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkiNd5NIMiY

The Bodies got the New Foundation's old theme, but they made it work.

There's so many pro wrestlers who try to look handsome or cool, but you can tell, underneath, that they are sleazy and creepy.  It just doesn't really work.  

Then there's Jimmy Del Ray, who I'm assuming looked in the mirror one fateful day, started gyrating, and said, "Fuck it.  I'm sleazy, and that's that."

Add in the fact that he could hang with, or even outshine, the best workers in the business inside the ring, Jimmy Del Ray was, to me, one of the most entertaining wrestlers ever.  

• Like 2

There's so many pro wrestlers who try to look handsome or cool, but you can tell, underneath, that they are sleazy and creepy.  It just doesn't really work.  

Then there's Jimmy Del Ray, who I'm assuming looked in the mirror one fateful day, started gyrating, and said, "Fuck it.  I'm sleazy, and that's that."

I don't think Jimmy had access to a mirror in the womb.  It's a little known fact that JDR was the only infant in the nursery with a patchy goatee.

As a kid watching him on the WWF, I thought he was just so sleazy - but memorably so. Joey Ryan plays the king of sleaze for laughs, but Del Rey legit seemed like a guy who you'd see behind a 7-11 engaging in one or more kinds of illegal activity at 2 AM.

• Like 1

As a kid watching him on the WWF, I thought he was just so sleazy - but memorably so. Joey Ryan plays the king of sleaze for laughs, but Del Rey legit seemed like a guy who you'd see behind a 7-11 engaging in one or more kinds of illegal activity at 10 AM.

FIFY. He was the embodiment of this quote from My Name is Earl

"You know that guy you see, when you stop off at the convenience store in that little town on the way to Grandma's house? Sort of shifty looking fella who buys a packet of smokes, a couple-a lotto tickets and a "Tall Boy" at 10 AM in the morning? The kind of guy you wait to come out before you and your family go in? Well... that's me. My name is Earl. And if you took the time to really get to know me, find out what kind of person I really am instead of just stereotyping me, because of the way I look... well, you'd be wasting your time. 'Cause I'm exactly who you think I am. Hell, I'll pretty much steal anything that's not nailed down."

As a kid watching him on the WWF, I thought he was just so sleazy - but memorably so. Joey Ryan plays the king of sleaze for laughs, but Del Rey legit seemed like a guy who you'd see behind a 7-11 engaging in one or more kinds of illegal activity at 10 AM.

"You know that guy you see, when you stop off at the convenience store in that little town on the way to Grandma's house? Sort of shifty looking fella who buys a packet of smokes, a couple-a lotto tickets and a "Tall Boy" at 10 AM in the morning? The kind of guy you wait to come out before you and your family go in? Well... that's me. My name is Earl. And if you took the time to really get to know me, find out what kind of person I really am instead of just stereotyping me, because of the way I look... well, you'd be wasting your time. 'Cause I'm exactly who you think I am. Hell, I'll pretty much steal anything that's not nailed down."

I think that quote describes most of the indy wrestlers I've met in person.  

• Like 1

I think that quote describes most of the indy wrestlers I've met in person.  

From what I've read it could probably be used to describe most indy promoters. Hell, most promoters period.