DVDVR Message Board

2014-2015 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

As if there wasn't enough proof the Big 12 was a joke.

Like the SEC, we have a couple of elite programs (although my own is still rebuilding), some hot up-and-comers, some mediocre, and some bad. We just all play each other. Hell, Baylor has even figured out the "schedule a bunch of OOC patsies" part out.

UAB is officially shutting down football after the season (first FBS school to drop football since Pacific). They're bowl eligible so it isn't out of the question they could have one final burst of glory.

From what I was reading, it sounds like the school doesn't want to shell out the money to get them to a bowl so they might actually pass on a bowl invite

They also have to pay like 2.5 million to cancel games with Georgia State, UT, UK, Troy and South Alabama

Yup - the exact breakdown

UAB will have to pay $2.425 million for canceling future games with Tennessee, Kentucky, Troy, South Alabama and Georgia State, sources told ESPN's Brett McMurphy. UAB was scheduled to play Tennessee in Nashville in 2015 and at Kentucky in 2016.

UAB must pay Tennessee $925,000 and Kentucky $500,000 to get out of those games. The Blazers also must pay for canceling future home-and-home series in 2015 and 2016 with Troy ($400,000), South Alabama ($300,000) and Georgia State ($300,000), which will cost UAB a total of $1 million to end.

Jim McElwain is new Florida coach

Damn. Was eyeing him as a great candidate to take over Saban in 5 years or so. Now the only way he'll be available is if he fails at Florida. And I don't want a coach that somehow managed to fail at Florida.

He probably left because he knew if he had another lousy year, they were going to fire his ass. They'd have probably fired him already if it wasn't for the fact he signed a huge contract after his big 10-win season ages ago and they have no money.

His contract at Oregon State had a clause that extended it by 1-year every time he won...6 games. What the hell is that? They're probably thrilled to be out from under that right now.

The board of trustees of the University of Miami has decided to retain the services of Albert J. Golden.

unnamed_zpspfo6bgwa.gif

My guess is Shalala leaned on the board having already given her word that firing Golden was the next prez's problem.

Gun to my head, if Golden flames out, Mario Cristobal has been in Saban Finishing School these last few years. That is, if no one grabs him THIS offseason.

He probably left because he knew if he had another lousy year, they were going to fire his ass. They'd have probably fired him already if it wasn't for the fact he signed a huge contract after his big 10-win season ages ago and they have no money.

His contract at Oregon State had a clause that extended it by 1-year every time he won...6 games. What the hell is that? They're probably thrilled to be out from under that right now.

I'm sure they're thrilled that they'll go back to winning 3 games, at best, a year.