DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: JERRY LYNN

RIPPA

I think the Mr JL deal was Jerry had the Gargon Cross gear from the MPro mask tournament and pitched using it because the Power Rangers were hot at the time. He came in and the best name WCW creative could come up with was Mr. JL.

• Like 1

Here's a couple Jerry Lynn matches with me on commentary: 

I am the biggest Jerry Lynn fanboy and I am not ashamed to say it.  I still love those RVD matches for what they were: two men providing insane high-flying hard-hitting action at great length, in a time period when not many other guys could even try to keep up with them.  (Lynn himself wasn't really fond of working with RVD; those matches were so physically abusive and RVD's kicks were so stiff that he'd come back to the locker room all black-and-blue bruised everywhere.)  Jerry was a guy who was unappreciated by all 3 big companies; how ironic is it that TNA was the only nationally-televised place that showed him some respect.  

I remember a whole bunch of ROH fanboys whining their entitled asses off when Jerry got the title.  FUCK YOU, MARKS. He deserved it.  That man was the measuring stick of talent.  A 17-year-old Chuck Taylor told me that his two dream opponents were Chris Hero and Jerry Lynn.  When journeyman Chris Michaels had a series of excellent indy matches with Jerry in 2003 on shows he was booking (which I would KILL to have a Youtube copy of, I've only got my VHS tape of two of 'em and no way to upload), the other boys in the locker room would mutter "Hey Chris, quit Bogarting Jerry!"

And he is the nicest guy on the planet.  Never had a single complaint, it's a pillow fight between him and Bobby Eaton as to who's the most noble gentleman of the territories.  Very humble, always willing to give any advice, willing to talk to anybody, even the greenest dumbest rookies.  People say he was a bad talker: I say FUCK YOU, MARKS.  I remember two specific promos from him: one was a PPV during Invasion, when he was delegated to hosting WWF New York (remember that place?) and he sarcastically slayed the company with an awesome brief rant about how the Light Heavyweight Champion should be doing other things.  The other was shot in a shady crackhouse hotel which was the only place my home company of USWO could find an easy venue, in which I don't remember a damn thing about anything except one detail when Jerry compared his upcoming opponent to a Team America "MATT DAMON~!" for no other reason than to amuse the local workers who were completely obsessed with that movie.   And afterwards, he and Kid Kash swapped hilarious stories about how Rhino would blow promos and start screaming "FUUUUCK!" at the drop of a hat.  

I even asked him for advice on an in-ring spot once.  James Storm was supposed to superkick me at the end of my heel promo.  I was nervous, Jerry was there, and I made a beeline for him.  "Hey Jerry, you've worked with James, right?  How's his superkick?" His response:  "Oh, he's fine.  Just put your hand up, no problem."  (This proved to be inapplicable, as I guess Storm was afraid he'd hurt me, and ended up giving me the sissyiest Steviekick to the belly button that the world has ever seen.  My cringing both-hands-up posture is priceless, I really wish I could transfer that footage.)

• Like 2

Sadly unable to find any footage of Lynn working for Universal Lucha Libre back in 1992 or so. He was super-fun there.

Plus there's the infamous interview with Jerry Lynn, Lightning Kid and Ricky Rocket (who I'm pretty sure is AWA's Ricky Rice) where someone laughs off stage and Kid yells "FUCK YOU!" and flips them off and they freeze frame on it.

• 4 weeks later...