DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

Hell, he also said The Wolverine was going to be the last time he played the role back before they started filming it.

I assume that he's conflicted about still doing this same role 14 years later at 45, wanting to try new things, and getting some big fucking paychecks.

Paychecks have been winning so far.

An X Force movie would just be the worst. I really don't want to see Cable and Shatterstar and giant guns in a movie. The 90s were awful. Ron Liefield was awful. I guess there could be some entertainment value in using CGI to make actors look like his drawings and just going full bonkers with the whole thing.

I would much rather see an X Statix movie than an X Force movie, which you could do without making the convoluted movies even more so.

One part that confused me watching DOFP, I understand that by infusing the Sentinels with steel from the railroad tracks he had physical control over them but how was he able to control their programming? Even when the Sentinels powered up during the press conference, Trask and Stryker didn't give any verbal commands to stop them or pull out any remote device to shut them back down. Magneto was able to control them from a distance and give one a verbal command to attack Beast and Wolverine.

One part that confused me watching DOFP, I understand that by infusing the Sentinels with steel from the railroad tracks he had physical control over them but how was he able to control their programming? Even when the Sentinels powered up during the press conference, Trask and Stryker didn't give any verbal commands to stop them or pull out any remote device to shut them back down. Magneto was able to control them from a distance and give one a verbal command to attack Beast and Wolverine.

He changed their programming with the railroad tracks too. Because Hollywood doesn't understand computers.

• Like 1

Saw X Men last night, and I know that my opinion is super skewed because I don't much like the X Men movies outside of the Nightcrawler White House sequence, but I'm having a hard time thinking of another director being handed blockbusters that is as visionless as Bryan Singer is.

Did anyone else walk out of there sort of dumbfounded and annoyed except for the Quicksilver stuff, which was great? If not I don't want to be the one guy screaming IT WAS KIND OF BAD in the corner. 

He changed their programming with the railroad tracks too. Because Hollywood doesn't understand computers.

I don't think he changed their programming, just disconnected the detection device. The main one he used to distract Hank and Logan turned around and tried to go after him too after Beast used his serum to fool it into thinking he's a human.

Saw X Men last night, and I know that my opinion is super skewed because I don't much like the X Men movies outside of the Nightcrawler White House sequence, but I'm having a hard time thinking of another director being handed blockbusters that is as visionless as Bryan Singer is.

Did anyone else walk out of there sort of dumbfounded and annoyed except for the Quicksilver stuff, which was great? If not I don't want to be the one guy screaming IT WAS KIND OF BAD in the corner. 

I'm not entirely sure why you didn't like it, save for the "lack of vision." Could you give us some more detail? Did you not like the time travel stuff in general, or were unable to suspend your disbelief for it or what not?

I will say that it was the first X-Men movie that really felt like it embraced the fact it was an "X-MEN MOVIE."

I'm not entirely sure why you didn't like it, save for the "lack of vision." Could you give us some more detail? Did you not like the time travel stuff in general, or were unable to suspend your disbelief for it or what not?

I will say that it was the first X-Men movie that really felt like it embraced the fact it was an "X-MEN MOVIE."

Sorry, stayed vague for spoilery things.

Things I liked: Quicksilver and Blink, Fassbender and McAvoy's performances and chemistry. Iceman's beard.

I agree with you that this is the first movie that Singer has allowed to be an X Men scale of a movie, but I feel like, even when what is happening on screen is big and epic, his movie feels very small. Does that make any sense? This is one of those days where I wish I had Jae's powers of talking about shit. 

The movie didn't make any sense from a continuity standpoint. To it's credit, it never seemed very concerned with it. I'm still not sure, after four movies in it's timeline, when the X Men movies are set. Are they present day? I ignored the weird timeline for First Class because it was sort of a stand alone thing but when you line these movies up they're a nightmare. Why was Xavier alive in The Wolverine? I thought that bump had something to do with this movie? And if the purpose was a reboot, they've rebooted to square one of a 14 year old movie? 

• Like 1

I don't think he changed their programming, just disconnected the detection device. The main one he used to distract Hank and Logan turned around and tried to go after him too after Beast used his serum to fool it into thinking he's a human.

I was trying think about the scene where he's reviewing the film he took from the meeting in Paris & thought perhaps there was more detailed blueprints that might have shown him how to gain control of them. Funny that I'm perfectly fine with a guy lifting and levitating an entire stadium but I'm all "Hey! He doesn't have the username/password for the Sentinels program!".

Timey Wimey

It wasn't so much that it exposed problems with their time travel story as it exposed major problems with their movies making any sense in relation to each other, which wouldn't be a big deal if they hadn't already confirmed that Apocalypse will bounce between the two timelines as well.

Remember the outcry from the organization that governs the opinions/ rights/ whatever of people who were adopted as kids, when they got all pissy when Thor claimed of Loki, "He's adopted," when Loki's misdeeds were under discussion?

I'm surprised there's been no resounding complaints about the casting of an actor with a real mutation (dwarfism) as a villain in a film about pretend mutations.

Timey Wimey

It wasn't so much that it exposed problems with their time travel story as it exposed major problems with their movies making any sense in relation to each other, which wouldn't be a big deal if they hadn't already confirmed that Apocalypse will bounce between the two timelines as well.

To be fair, that might be the most accurate part of their 7 film X-Men adaptation.

• Like 1

I saw it on Sunday. Overall I liked it, but at the same time it was just sort of there for me. 

I liked First Class a lot. It was fun and despite the younger mutants being shit, it at least had a spirit of fun that the Marvel Studios movies had. This movie was just all stern looks and leather suits. I just didn't have fun watching it outside of the Quicksilver stuff. 

Also, the Paris talks concluded in early '73, right? Magneto quoting James Brown's "Payback" ("I don't know karate, but I know crazy") is sort of off because that song wasn't released until November of '73, and I don't believe that he had the time to go see James Brown in concert after being sprung from prison. 

So there's my review. It was worth watching once, but I don't think I'll seek it out again. 

X-Men has already passed 300 million worldwide.

It's almost certainly going to pass The Wolverine by the end of next weekend, and maybe First Class as well.  It really has completely rejuvenated the franchise at the box office.

It's long been established in fiction that the existance of Super Powers (or Magic) in a world allows technology to advance much faster or slower than it otherwise would. Even if nobody has super powers related to the ability to advance technology... it's an Arm's Race. They only invented armour piercing bullets because someone else invented armour and all that.