DVDVR Message Board

Actor/Actress Passings That Don't Warrant A Thread

Larry Rydell

I got to meet her at a "Thrillville" showing of IT HAPPENED AT THE WORLD'S FAIR at the Parkway Speakeasy Theater in Oakland back in maybe 2002.

She was hilarious.  All anyone wanted to ask her about was:

1) Making out with Shatner and

2) Making out with Elvis

God - Yvonne Craig so helped me figure a lot of things out...

I don't know a kid who didn't have a crush on her back in the day.  I think she is the source of my current thing that I have for women with short hair.

RIP.

God - Yvonne Craig so helped me figure a lot of things out...

I don't know a kid who didn't have a crush on her back in the day.  I think she is the source of my current thing that I have for women with short hair.

RIP.

Yvonne Craig, Julie Newmar and Barbara Feldon all influenced my young defnition of womanly virtue.

• 3 weeks later...

Technically the third Columbo victim.  There was a movie and a pilot before Jack Cassidy murdered Martin Milner.  But that is the episode Spielberg directed and so you get to see both of them through all kinds of cool angles and moving shots.

It's kind of crazy how Spielbergy that one episode is.

Judy Carne has died at age 76.

She was the "Sock It To Me" girl on "Rowan and Martin's Laugh In" from 1968-1970, and was married to Burt Reynolds in the mid 60s.

She was one of those performers who could have fit the "one hit wonder" or "should have been a star" thread. Carne had a girl next door quality in her earlier, pre Laugh In work -- you could see her headline, say, "That Girl" if Marlo Thomas wasn't available, or even headline a light romantic comedy movie. But she pretty much self destructed in the 70s thanks to drugs and hard living.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Marty Ingels, actor/theatrical agent/Hollywood raconteur and Shirley Jones' husband of 40 years, passed away at 79 after a massive stroke. He was Fenster.

My late grandmother hated Marty Ingels.  She always said he was "funny as a crutch."

As for me, I don't think ever saw him do anything other than Tattletales.*

*H-B cartoons notwithstanding.

It's one of the best of its era, so I can get why it won... It's a fucking tremendous, emotional, incredibly executed movie in its own right. Saying that, it's not Citizen Kane.

Not a fan of when O'Hara played the prototypical hot-headed Irish woman but she was still very talented.

I'm gonna probably watch "Only The Lonely" later tonight in honor of her. Maureen O'Hara as John Candy's domineering mother was just brilliant casting.

I loved all the stuff she did with John Wayne. They were just perfect together. File this under things you could never get away with today.