DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL: WEEK THREE

RIPPA

The Dolphins also worked out LaMichael James so again - if you have had a carry in the NFL, the Fins would like your number

They should call Ickey Woods.  But then he'd have to stop doing hilarious TV commercials.

I honestly don't understand how the hell Rob Ryan keeps getting defensive coordinator jobs.  

He gets some leeway for his stint as Raiders DC due to how horrible the offense was, and the fact he was forced to trot 100-year old Ted Washington out there as his nose tackle, but regardless, it's not like his Oakland defenses were unstoppable monsters.

He ends up in Cleveland, which makes sense as Cleveland would be a tough sell for most coordinator candidates who weren't damaged goods, and he stinks up the joint there as well.

Next it's on to Dallas, where he's a disaster and is the first time he's fired independently of the rest of the coaching staff.

So after that, how the fuck does he get the Saints job?  Even Mike Greenburg was baffled by the hiring, pointing out that Ryan had failed at every other stop in his career.

This is the secret of the NFL, and part of why the Rooney Rule is worthless as a measure to get more minorities hired...The NFL is basically the same few people trading jobs over and over again.  Once you get a coaching job in the NFL, unless you're Jim Fassel or Brian Billick eventually you'll get hired somewhere else. 

• Like 1

I honestly don't understand how the hell Rob Ryan keeps getting defensive coordinator jobs.  

He gets some leeway for his stint as Raiders DC due to how horrible the offense was, and the fact he was forced to trot 100-year old Ted Washington out there as his nose tackle, but regardless, it's not like his Oakland defenses were unstoppable monsters.

He ends up in Cleveland, which makes sense as Cleveland would be a tough sell for most coordinator candidates who weren't damaged goods, and he stinks up the joint there as well.

Next it's on to Dallas, where he's a disaster and is the first time he's fired independently of the rest of the coaching staff.

So after that, how the fuck does he get the Saints job?  Even Mike Greenburg was baffled by the hiring, pointing out that Ryan had failed at every other stop in his career.

This is the secret of the NFL, and part of why the Rooney Rule is worthless as a measure to get more minorities hired...The NFL is basically the same few people trading jobs over and over again.  Once you get a coaching job in the NFL, unless you're Jim Fassel or Brian Billick eventually you'll get hired somewhere else. 

Which is kind of surprising, because I think I would rather have those two than Jim Caldwell. Even Dick FUCKING Jauron got hired twice. . .

How did Billick never get another shot, anyway?

As an OC, he was the guy behind the Vikings putting up the (since broken) all-time scoring record, and he won a fucking Super Bowl with Trent fucking Dilfer as his quarterback in Baltimore...

• Like 4

As an OC, he was the guy behind the Vikings putting up the (since broken) all-time scoring record, and he won a fucking Super Bowl with Trent fucking Dilfer as his quarterback in Baltimore...

Apparently he was a giant dick, who was his own biggest fan.  I don't know how that separates him from all the other coaches who are deeply in love with themselves, but he wasn't someone people really wanted to deal with.  Fassel on the other hand just never looked like he was qualified, despite the fact that he got a team with Kerry Collins to the Superbowl. 

His time in Baltimore exposed his time in Minnesota as having absolutely nothing to do with Billick. He's an "offensive genius" who proved he has no clue on offense. Why WOULD you give him another chance?

He never had the offensive talent in Baltimore, though.  I mean, seriously, it's a big step down from Cunningham/Moss/Carter to the mess he had outside Sharpe.

And, again, he won a Super Bowl with Trent motherfucking Dilfer throwing the ball.  That clearly qualifies him more for another head job than a lot of guys.

Norv Turner has gotten three head coaching jobs, for fuck's sake.

It's easy to be an "offensive genius" when you have Cris Carter, Randy Moss, Robert Smith, Pro Bowlers across the offensive line, and Randall Cunningham coming back from the dead for a season.

The year he was Ravens coach, that team went five games without scoring a touchdown. . .offensive, defensive, or otherwise. . .and went 2-3.

12-0 W over Cleveland

15-10 W over Jacksonville

10-3 L to Washington

14-6 L to Tennessee

9-6 L to Pittsburgh (which turned out to be the last time they lost that season)

When you average 8.4 points a game and can still manage to go 2-3. . .your defense is ridiculous.

That's why Billick has a Super Bowl ring. Same reason that Jon Gruden has one.

In an interview I found on ESPN from two years ago I found, Billick said the following

"It has to be the right people in the right situation that has the right vision and the right partnership that I had in Baltimore," he said. "But that’s a narrow bandwidth."

So to me that also comes off as him believing that since he won a Super Bowl he can pick his spots. So there might have been opportunities where a team might have been interested and he basically told them not to bother

How the fuck does Virginia have a huge viewing hole in the middle of the state where you can watch the Texans / Giants game but everywhere else is showing the fucking Ravens / Browns?

I am going to be at my girlfriend's crib this weekend and I would much rather see the Texans / Giants, but I'd have to go to a sports bar in Laurel or Ft. Meade to do it.

I may need to rethink this move to Maryland / work in NORVA plan.

How the fuck does Virginia have a huge viewing hole in the middle of the state where you can watch the Texans / Giants game but everywhere else is showing the fucking Ravens / Browns?

DC and NOVA is a Ravens secondary market so that is why their games are always aired here.

the 804 is out of that area so they can do what they want and I am pretty sure they are going with the combo of NY team and team in Redskins division.

I am more amused by the Carolinas being forced to see Raiders/Pats

In an interview I found on ESPN from two years ago I found, Billick said the following

"It has to be the right people in the right situation that has the right vision and the right partnership that I had in Baltimore," he said. "But that’s a narrow bandwidth."

So to me that also comes off as him believing that since he won a Super Bowl he can pick his spots. So there might have been opportunities where a team might have been interested and he basically told them not to bother

In a sense he is 100% correct.  Winning a championship is a very narrow line to walk and everyone from the ownership to the front office to the coaches to the players have to be on the same page.  Then you need a little bit of luck.