DVDVR Message Board

The Board Game Thread

TableTop Season 4 started shooting today.

I have a feeling this will be the last season considering Wil basically said he originally didn't plan on doing this season

EDIT - And here is the list of games they are playing (in no particular order)

Spoiler

Lanterns
Fury of Dracula
Mysterium
Code Names (with six players for maximum funtimes)
FATE Core RPG
Dragon Farkle
Flashpoint
Harbour
Eldritch Horror
Star Realms
Monarch
Star Trek – 5 Year Mission
Champions of Midgard
Steam Park
Tiny Epic Galaxies
Welcome To The Dungeon
Misspent Youth RPG

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I always wondered why it wasnt part of nerdist from the start. Is there heat now between wil and hardwick? 

No - Wil and Chris are great friends. Otherwise they are really good at faking it on Twitter and in person

Felicia started G&S when Youtube was trying to launch all those new channels

Nerdist was bought by Legendary first then G&S was bought by Legendary later (after their deal with Youtube ran out)

So if anyone is having influence on content it is Legendary not Nerdist considering they are two separate subsidiaries (though one they clearly see some great crossover appeal with)

I am still really curious (though am sure we will never know) who the former friend was who ruined Season 3 for Wil was (I am thinking it had to be on the Production side but who knows)

39 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am still really curious (though am sure we will never know) who the former friend was who ruined Season 3 for Wil was (I am thinking it had to be on the Production side but who knows)

I wonder if it was some on involved with the crowed sourcing 'prize' stuff. I could be wrong but I remember there being a delay on getting the 'prize' stuff out to people cause of a mix up or something that wasn't exactly a distribution issue.

Amazon has some board games in their gold box today.  Castles of Burgundy, Red Dragon Inn, Coup, Tokaido, and a bunch of other stuff.

I picked up Red Dragon Inn on sale and Netrunner because I'd been wanting to try it for a while.

Wil has been tweeting updates each time the film an episode - so they have 3 episodes in the can right now.

Also - he did address the "betrayal" thing in an earlier blog

http://wilwheaton.net/2015/08/tabletop-submission-criteria/

While I was at GenCon meeting with game publishers, I learned that a longtime friend who I completely trusted to be a liaison between me (and Tabletop) and game publishers was abusing and betraying that trust in the worst way. Among several profoundly upsetting revelations, I learned that  our submission criteria was not being clearly communicated to designers and publishers. This isn’t fair to anyone who has a game they think would work on the show, and is personally upsetting to me, because I probably missed more than a few potentially awesome games.

I have taken significant steps to ensure that the problems we experienced in season three as a result of that betrayal will never happen again. As we get ready to select games for next season, I want to ensure that everyone knows how we choose games to play, so nobody’s time, money, or resources are wasted.

Bummed that there's not more deals going on today.

There's a few Amazon gold boxes, and a few sites offering like 10% off - but nothing major like previous years on TableTop Day.

I was totally ready to blow the money I'm making by working a double at work today on games since I'm missing the gaming parties, but alas.

To be fair - this by far seemed to be the least promoted TableTop Day they have done

Like - they really decided to let the Geek & Sundry brand try and push it instead of the "names" and - at least to me - it made it far less of a big deal

I know neither of our two local game stores did anything for it this year, where last year they both had huge events with those TableTop Day boxes that G & S was selling.

So it really did seem like they tried making it only their thing and kind of failed.

I work within the boardgame industry, and I can tell you that we got more calls from other companies trying to promote games through it (in this case, Blue Orange) than we actually got from G&S or anything like that.

I could be wrong on this but didn't G&S announce Tabletop Day a few months ahead of time in the past and thous had a build to it? This year it felt like in mid March someone was like oh hey isn't it tabletop day time and someone else was like I guess what's the last Saturday in April make it then and put someone out there if you want what ever 

• 3 weeks later...

Follow up on Tabletop - they have finished shooting

Wil said episodes will be released starting in July but other than that it is out of his hands.

He said he requested they come out every week but that isn't up to him (though apparently Legendary is super supportive and easy to work with)