DVDVR Message Board

The Board Game Thread

My first time back playing D&D was a blast.  Everyone I'm playing with is much more knowledgeable than myself, so they have crazy min-maxed 4-class characters.  So I went the other way and rolled a straight greatsword fighter.  I hit things very, very hard.  We only really got through one encounter since everyone was finishing up character creation, but I'm starting to get a pretty good handle on the combat rules.  

So Muhammed (or anyone) I already ordered a 3.5 PHB and DMG.  Are any of the ancillary books must-haves, or at least really useful?  I have my eye on The Complete Adventurer, but I'd like to find it cheaper than $20.

So Muhammed (or anyone) I already ordered a 3.5 PHB and DMG.  Are any of the ancillary books must-haves, or at least really useful?  I have my eye on The Complete Adventurer, but I'd like to find it cheaper than $20.

I'm just popping into this thread and see your post, so I don't know if this has been recommended to you, but... Google 'Fighter handbook' and 'Fighter build' if you want to have an idea what feats and items and whatnot are good for you. You wouldn't believe the effort people put into all sorts of builds.

This, for example.

I should have revived this post Gencon, because I played a ton of games there. Truthfully, the only one I was enamored with was 'Freedom' which is a co op game based around the Underground railroad. It was great. I also bought Dark Gothic, which is a deck builder equivalent to Touch of Evil. I think it's nice and simple for a deck builder, although I'm not sure it's the best balanced game I've ever played. All the demos for the new Aluen game filled up too fast for me to get a chance to try it. Everything else I played was forgettable.

Also, if you are looking for a nice quick family game, I cannot recommend Hanabi highly enough. Probably my favorite game of the past year. Craig, my gaming group played a ton of Resistance a couple years ago and we have since started to go about 50/50 with that and Hanabi as our 'cool down' games at the end of the night.

I'm just popping into this thread and see your post, so I don't know if this has been recommended to you, but... Google 'Fighter handbook' and 'Fighter build' if you want to have an idea what feats and items and whatnot are good for you. You wouldn't believe the effort people put into all sorts of builds.

This, for example.

Yeah, those are the kind of people I'm playing with.  One is 4-class multiclassed, one has 3 and the other just 2.  And I'm just a straight fighter with a big fuck-off sword.  Unfortunately I didn't have a ton of time to create a character, and didn't have access to any of the extra sourcebooks, so my character is pretty sub-optimal in terms of feats and skills.  But it's cool because I'm working that into the character.  We're playing a party of evil Drow, and the whole campaign sounds like it's going to be pretty intrigue-heavy so I'm playing him as the simple, cruel muscle who's just in it to hurt people.  Should be a good time.

• 2 months later...

So I was pretty shocked when I was at my local Target earlier this morning and they are actually getting a decent collection of board games.  Ticket to Ride both the original and Europe versions, Pandemic and Settlers of Catan all had their own little section.  

They're stupidly expensive compared to what you can get them for online, but it's pretty cool to see games like this becoming more mainstream and available.

The TableTop affect, as it is called. Catan especially blew the fuck up.

Anyway, new season of TableTop starts Thursday. Look up the games list if you want to grab some of them before they go out of print.

Main note of the cast for this season for me is the on-going battle for my favorite voice acting performance of all time will both be represented this year. Jennifer Hale, aka Femshep in Sushi Go! and Roll For It and Ashley Johnson, aka Ellie, in Dead of Winter.

We played Avalon at my birthday party on Saturday and it was a good bit of fun. I think I like Resistance more, and that's likely because I've played a shit ton of Resistance, but I do like the roles you play in Avalon.

The TableTop affect, as it is called. Catan especially blew the fuck up.

Anyway, new season of TableTop starts Thursday. Look up the games list if you want to grab some of them before they go out of print.

Main note of the cast for this season for me is the on-going battle for my favorite voice acting performance of all time will both be represented this year. Jennifer Hale, aka Femshep in Sushi Go! and Roll For It and Ashley Johnson, aka Ellie, in Dead of Winter.

In addition to the Buy 2 Get 1 free on video games at Target this week, it also applies to board games.

So we finally went ahead and picked up Ticket to Ride: Europe, Settlers of Catan and Muchkin as our free game.  Unfortunately, I didn't realize that it's Muchkin Deluxe that comes with the cool board and game pieces, and since my girlfriend insists we have the official ones, I'm trying to track those down on Ebay without having to buy a whole different version.

• 3 months later...

So yea.  We found out that one of our groups of friends has a board game night almost every weekend and since then our collection has exploded.  Right now I'm sitting looking at a pile with absolutely nowhere to put it of:

Munchkin

Ticket to Ride

Ticket to Ride: Eurpoe

Cash & Guns

7 Wonders 

Tsuro

Scoville

Love Letter

Gloom

Settlers of Catan

Pandemic

Machi Koro

Plus we just ordered Patchwork and K2.  Found a game shop about a month ago that has a huge selection just down the street so now browsing and buying random games cause they look cool has become a thing.

I think I have a problem. 

Anyone else considering the Ghostbusters game on Kickstarter?

It tempts me, it is just so expensive.  Not that I don't have the money but i could get like 5 other quality board games for that price.  But it looks like it could be really fun with the right combination of players.  And even if the game didn't last I could probably display it with all the boss monsters.  I guess I have seven days to decide.

I just wish they would go a little more into the mechanics of the game. i mean its design is amazing and everything looks like it would add up to a compelling game, but for $80+, I want a little more solid info about how the game plays.

Aw, man! I just stumbled on this thread, where the fuck have I been???

Anyway, I too have been using TableTop as a jumping on point for getting back into board gaming. No bullshit, the first thing I bought for myself in my new job was Lords of Waterdeep. I love it, though I think I may find it a bit difficult to find people to play it with. I also picked up Star Fluxx and Iota. Iota is a lot of fun, almost like a card game version of Qwirkle. Plus, in keeping with the motif, the cards are tiny, so that's cute. Like Rippa, I have a looooong wishlist based on TableTop.

Has anybody checked out the Dice Tower channel on YouTube? I'd like to hear some other opinions about them so I can see if my impression of them is accurate.

EDIT: Also, is this the thread I might post stuff about Magic: the Gathering in, or should I start a new thread for that?

I think this thread would be fine for M:tG. My jaw hit the floor at the reveal of Narset Transcendent. She's no Jace, but damn, +1 to pop a non-land, non-creature spell into your hand? OK! Oh, and she starts out at 6 loyalty for UW2. That's bananas.

Her ultimate is insane, too. No more noncreature spells for you opponent. I mean, uhhh...whut? o_O

I just wish they would go a little more into the mechanics of the game. i mean its design is amazing and everything looks like it would add up to a compelling game, but for $80+, I want a little more solid info about how the game plays.

They just posted a one hour youtube video showing a full game being played with one boss.  They go pretty slow as they explain what they are doing as it goes along.

I think this thread would be fine for M:tG. My jaw hit the floor at the reveal of Narset Transcendent. She's no Jace, but damn, +1 to pop a non-land, non-creature spell into your hand? OK! Oh, and she starts out at 6 loyalty for UW2. That's bananas.

Her ultimate is insane, too. No more noncreature spells for you opponent. I mean, uhhh...whut? o_O

Yeah, her ultimate is nuts too. She'll be amazing in Commander and Standard, probably not as much in Modern just because of the speed of that format.

They just posted a one hour youtube video showing a full game being played with one boss.  They go pretty slow as they explain what they are doing as it goes along.

Oh good I didn't have enough I wanted to watch today with a new Tabletop, March Madness and still needing to catch up with this weeks NXT.