DVDVR Message Board

The Board Game Thread

More interesting was hearing Kripke without his lisp

I definitely want to get Roll For It since that clearly can be a two player game for me and my son

(Not that we don't have a fuckton to play already and I probably will end up getting Magic 2015 for my One)

Rippa, you play Magic?

Also, I finally got to play some Pandemic with a couple friends and it's so much fun. First game we lost. It basically came down to the last card in the player card pile being an Epidemic card. That brought our Outbreak level to the very last level. One more Outbreak and we lose. We needed one of two cities to not pop up in the Infect stage to avoid an Outbreak. So we shuffle the Infect cards and put them back on top. First card we flip over is one of those two cities and we lose. If that doesn't happen, we get to the next player's turn and win.

We had a better strategy for the second game, which was work on cures instead of removing infection cubes from cities. We won with two cards left in the player deck. So in two games, we've gone down to the wire and we're playing on the easiest level. I can't imagine playing at a harder difficulty level.

Despite how tough it's been, I bought the two expansions for Pandemic and we're getting a 5 or 6 player game going tonight.

The other board game I got was the Magic: the Gathering Arena of the Planeswalkers game. It is so much fun. It was $40 on Amazon to get it early, otherwise it's MSRP is $30. Very happy with the purchase.

Finally, my friend bought Dead of Winter, which is a Crossroads game, and we played this a few weeks ago. It was a ton of fun too. It's another co-op game, except one of the players is a betrayer. What was most interesting is that everyone receives a "secret" card, which has the win conditions for that particular player. You couldn't reveal those win conditions to anyone else and multiple people could potentially win a round. It's either that, or everyone loses. So the interesting part was how the behavior of players changed when they had no way to win or fulfill their win conditions. Of the 6 people playing, 3 of us could still win, me included. We're all just hoping that the other players do something to help and those wishes were never fulfilled. When all hope was lost for the losing players, it double-fucked anyone who still had a shot. Then when the betrayer had no way of winning, they just went balls out fucking things up for everyone. The great thing is that you can actually attempt to kill another player and it did come down to that in the final turn, in which we all lost. I've never had so much fun losing. Lots of laughter in this one.

Yea the girlfriend immediately wanted me to buy Roll For It after watching, but there's no way I'm paying nearly $40 with shipping for the deluxe edition for a tin of dice and a small deck of cards, and unfortunately the regular red/purple editions that are cheaper look pretty shitty.

Rippa, you play Magic?

Technically...  yes

My son asked for cards for Christmas. My Mom got him the starter set. She also bought a set for me since he would need someone to play against.

We had watched Spellslingers so I had a vague idea what was going on. We are both still definitely learning.

That is the reason why I think I will get Magic 2015. This way - he can play when I am not around or am not interested. Plus - the computer helping out will help prevent illegal moves. (Which I am sure we make a billion of)

Rippa, you play Magic?

Technically...  yes

My son asked for cards for Christmas. My Mom got him the starter set. She also bought a set for me since he would need someone to play against.

We had watched Spellslingers so I had a vague idea what was going on. We are both still definitely learning.

That is the reason why I think I will get Magic 2015. This way - he can play when I am not around or am not interested. Plus - the computer helping out will help prevent illegal moves. (Which I am sure we make a billion of)

That's really awesome! Good luck to you both. Good idea with the Magic 2015 game too.

I'll also have to check out that episode of TableTop.

Oh yeah. I forgot the way we lost. We lost because we didn't clean up our colony. So our colony was so littered with food, medical and fuel waste that it lowered our morale to the point we lost. It was a really funny way to lose.

EDIT: Dammit, I keep remembering more about the game while watching that episode. So if anyone ever plays TableTop and you get your story/scenario card thing that has two choices on it, in most cases, you can ignore the instructions about giving the player the result of the choice they make. So instead of saying, "if you choose option A, then this happens, and if you choose option B, then this happens," just say, "option A is this and option B is this, which do you choose" and then reveal the outcome upon the player making that choice. It added so much more dread when we were playing.

With gencon coming up in a few weeks, will anyone be making the trip to Indy? I go ever year for work and it's a blast. It's the only convention I go to that I actively enjoy, and would probably go to for fun as well.  

Well, if you swing a day trip this year, hit me up and I'll buy you a beer. Personally, I'd recommend going Thursday or Friday. I think there are slightly less people so you can demo a few more things. Saturday is nutso, but buying a one day pass day of or even picking up a will call badge will take you forever. It's like going to an amusement park, but with exclusively pale people. Sunday I always feel like is a shorter day with a lot less energy. 

Any suggestions for two player board or card games?

Games that can be played co-op are great

Castle Panic

Forbidden Island

Forbidden Desert

Pandemic

• Like 1

Any suggestions for two player board or card games?

Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert are both great suggestions.  I would add:

Carcassonne (my favorite 2-player game)

Dominion

Agricola

Blokus

Ticket To Ride

Spite & Malice

• Like 1

Zimbra mentioned Agricola, which is a great game, but you should know they make a specifically two player version of that and Le Havre, another game by the same designer. 

I really like Lost Cities as quick two player game. As mentioned, co op stuff can be good, and I think Forbidden Island/Desert are good in that they are quick enough to play and set up that it doesn't take up a whole evening if you just want a quick after dinner game to change things up. 

Eminent Domain just put out a two player version which I have not played, but the big game was great so I would recommend that. 

Dominion is an amazing game, but I think if you want a deck builder that can be played by two while no specifically for two, I would say Ascension is a better bet as the random element of the monsters to kill makes for swingier and different games. I think two player Dominion often just comes down to who figures out the board first. 

• Like 1

Patchwork and Paperback are a couple of the most "wife friendly" two player games I've discovered so far.

K2 is also pretty great but it can get a little ruthless as you strand her poor meeple in a tent to die because you're blocking the only route to the top of the mountain and a storm is bearing down.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...