DVDVR Message Board

The Board Game Thread

• 3 weeks later...

So yea... went into my local game shop to buy the Munchkin Smash Up Expansion and walked out with that, the Awesome Level 3000 expansion and of course the Big Box cause you have to hold them all in something.

Oh and the new 2-player 7 Wonders Duel looks fantastic

• 1 month later...

Pandemic: Legacy is SOOOOOO good.

Go buy it, now.  Our gaming group bought the blue box and we enjoyed it so much that the lady & I bought the red box to play through the whole campaign with just the two of us.

• 1 month later...

BTW - Amazon has these as Cyber Monday deals

Settlers of Catan ($31) | Amazon

Risk ($16) | Amazon
King of Tokyo ($20) | Amazon
Dominion ($20) | Amazon
Smash Up Game ($13) | Amazon
7 Wonders ($22) | Amazon
Munchkin Deluxe ($16) | Amazon
Takenoko ($23) | Amazon

Target.com actually has better deals on almost all of those using the code CYBER15.

The price in parenthesis is if you buy with a redcard. which gets you another 5% off.

Pisses me off that I bought Dominion yesterday when Amazon had it for $20.

Spyfall $14.88 ($14.14)

Betrayal At House on the Hill - $20.53 ($19.51)

Pandemic - $19.12 ($18.16)

Dominion - $16.96 ($16.11)

7 Wonders - $19.04 ($18.09)

Takenoko - $19.34 ($18.37)

Sherrif of Nottingham - $20.83 ($19.78)

Star Wars X-Wing: The Force Awakens Miniature Game - $25.49 ($24.22)

Machi Koro - $12.71 ($12.07)

King of Tokyo - $16.88 ($16.04)

Flash Point: Fire Rescue - $19.54 ($18.56)

Timeline Discoveries - $7.38 ($7.01)

Timeline Diversity - $5.95 ($5.65)

Timeline Historical Events - $6.55 ($6.22)

Timeline Inventions - $6.66 ($6.33)

Timeline Music & Cinema - $6.55 ($6.22)

Smash Up - $11.31 ($10.74)

Castle Panic - $15.02 ($14.27)

Quick FYI if you're a 7 Wonders fan, but the expansions are also on sale on Amazon.com. I picked up the Leaders and Cities expansions for $39. Those two regularly priced would have been $60.

SHIT! I see I missed an Amazon gold box deal for Exploding Kittens.

Pandemic: Legacy is SOOOOOO good.

Go buy it, now.  Our gaming group bought the blue box and we enjoyed it so much that the lady & I bought the red box to play through the whole campaign with just the two of us.

I was actually coming in just to check on this.BoardGameGeek has it as the best stratagy game of all time.

Say what? Really? I love Pandemic and have all the expansions, but I wasn't sure about Legacy.

It's absolutely worth it even if you have all the other expansions.  I've had a couple of the most "holy shit" gaming moments in my life through the first few months.

And once you open up one the boxes around April the game COMPLETELY changes into nothing like any other Pandemic game.

By the way, I see that the Magic the Gathering Board Game is on there. As much as I love M:tG, I can't really recommend the board game. The rules are a bit of a mess, factoring in expansions that aren't even out yet, and the expansions are actually crucial to the rules. You're just left wondering how to play the damn thing, using your own interpretations to bridge incomplete rule sets. The maps for the battles are so small too, so you're within striking distance of opponents figures in a turn. To make matters worse, it uses line of sight. So you have to crouch down to look over a specific spot on your Planeswalker or creature to see if you have a clear view of the hit points on your opponent's Planeswalker or creature. Considering you have a human eye and you're looking at 1 inch tall figures, EVERYTHING is in view so there's never an instance where you can't see your opponent, unless they're hiding behind a wall.

If you're a huge fan of the CCG, then maybe get it because it's only $18 and you just want to collect it. Otherwise, I would pass.

• 4 weeks later...

Wil Weaton posted an update that they will do a 4th season of TableTop

Rough schedule things episodes will start around June

Two games have been picked so far - Lanterns and Code Names

There is a strong possibility that Tiny Epic Galaxies will also make the final cut

Code Names is so good.  

Played it for the first time last weekend.  It's such a smart, simple game.  It took less than 5 minutes to learn and we burned through about 4 hours of it because it was too much fun to move on to something else.

So my friend, who half owns a game store which is mostly board games, has gotten me playing new games here and there. The other day, among other things, I played Betrayal at House on the Hill. Was pretty fun until I turned traitor. God, do I hate 6 sided dice with blank spaces on them. Pretty clearly lost when I failed rolls twice to STOP LISTENING TO A MUSIC BOX.

Also played Legendary Encounters Alien (he had 1-4 movies, but we only played the first one) and we lost big time at the end. As well as the Marvel Version (we won as a group but I was biggest loser)

I'm too competitive a person to play board games when I suck at them.

Because I'm impatient, I printed out Secret Hitler on nice card stock and secured each printed card on slightly thicker stock using spray glue. Did a trial run with it and I have to say that we liked it a little more than Resistance or Avalon.