DVDVR Message Board

The Board Game Thread

I FINALLY got around to playing Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion with my daughter yesterday. I'll say this much, Gloomhaven would be a million times better if it were setup like Jaws of the Lion. JotL has a complete walkthrough for playing the game through the first five scenarios and it covers everything you would need to know. Regular Gloomhaven throws a 20 lbs. box at you and is like, ok, here you go, figure it out and be sure to bookmark the boardgamegeek forums. The two of us had a pretty good time with the first scenario, even if it was really easy. What's better is that because of that walkthrough, none of the setup felt daunting and neither of us had really any questions. She got the hang of playing it pretty quickly too.

This now makes me want to get a setup of paints from Amazon to paint our figurines. So yeah, if Gloomhaven's 20 lbs. box of stuff and $100+ price tag is too daunting, I would say definitely get JotL. You can even pick it up from Target because that's where I think we got it from for Christmas.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Abomination: Heir of Frankenstein is pretty damn awesome. Competitive Frankenstein Monster Building. It's a Euro Worker Placement with cool events that change how every game feels. Great game where it feels like you're playing out an actual story.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, twiztor said:

my preorder of HeroQuest arrived last night. It is beautiful and everything i hoped for. I can't wait to play this. (sorry, i didn't take any pictures). 

This is now making me regret not pulling the trigger, but between covid and another friend moving away, it's probably for the best that I didn't get it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This is now making me regret not pulling the trigger, but between covid and another friend moving away, it's probably for the best that I didn't get it.

i played this game a couple times as a kid and loved the miniatures. I'd kept an eye open for it for years (while never going all out to obtain a copy). I watched the price continue to rise on used copies. When this one was announced, i jumped right away. It was pricier than i wanted (and i picked up the expansions, because i knew that trying to find them in the future would be astronomical!), but i just couldn't resist. 

30 minutes ago, Pete said:

Potentially silly question: does anyone remember the website with all the downloadable RPG books? Trying to remember the URL and it's driving me nuts.

Are you talking Drivethru RPG and DM's Guild or...something more under the table? 

43 minutes ago, Pete said:

Potentially silly question: does anyone remember the website with all the downloadable RPG books? Trying to remember the URL and it's driving me nuts.

If you mean the trove, it be gone, DMCA'd from orbit.

(don't think this falls afoul of the guidelines as it's just saying a dead site)

On 11/11/2021 at 9:57 AM, Matt D said:

Thinking of getting Here to Slay for the 9 year old for Xmas. We'd probably mostly play it as a 2 player game as her sister (4) is too young and it's tough to pin down anyone else in the house. Anyone have any experience there?

It's a solid "a fun time had by all" game for that price, not actually very complex. Great, great art style. Games don't last too long for a kid's attention span either.

• Thanks 1