DVDVR Message Board

The Board Game Thread

4 hours ago, Control said:

Has anyone played X-Wing Miniatures? If so, what are your thoughts?

If my group is any experience, it'll be addictive enough that you'll start dropping a couple hundred to get all the ships and such and then everyone else will give it up when you want to play more.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My now-8yo daughter got Mysterium for her birthday ... holy shit, does she love this game.  And equally holy shit: She's *really* good.  Like, even when friends have come over (the family adult ones) and I've given them explicit instructions to make the connections as hard and random as possible ... bam.  She's gotten the connections to a T, and has only lost one game out of 16.  And that was only because the one who picks the clues went so basic (associating the color of the whole card to a clue) that she didn't think on that level.

This is vengeance for all those times I whooped her 7yo ass in King of Tokyo.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

if you haven't started playing Pandemic: Legacy, you really need to. 

We've blown through September in the last couple weeks and it's incredible.  I really don't want to say any more because going in blind is truly the best but it's so so good.

• 1 month later...

I am going to post the video in the main thread but here is the bullshit regarding the new G&S/Nerdist paid service and how you get dicked over with Tabletop

The first two episodes of Season 4 of Tabletop will be available as normal.

After that - all of Season 4 will be exclusive to Alpha until "Early 2017"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They did a AMA about Alpha a little while ago and let's just say it didn't go well.

Basically - there core base that they thought they would get told them to go fuck themselves.

So yeah... I really don't know what they are going to do.

It is also interesting that Wil hasn't said a peep about it yet.

While I enjoy all the people playing Lanterns, the cynical side of me can't help but be bothered that one of the two "free" Tabletops is of course filled with a bunch of people advertising other G&S shows.

2 minutes ago, CSC said:

While I enjoy all the people playing Lanterns, the cynical side of me can't help but be bothered that one of the two "free" Tabletops is of course filled with a bunch of people advertising other G&S shows.

HA!

That was immediately my thought to "Oh - you are using it to con people"

Of course all the comments are basically "CAN'T WAIT FOR THE REST OF SEASON IN JANUARY!!!"

As someone who'se been a diehard Geek and Sundry guy since I discovered TableTop, which led me to getting really involved in board games, which led to me finding Spellslingers, which turned me into a decent Magic player, which led me to their twitch channel which led me to Critical Role, which led me to being a DnD player, which is now leading me to Dungeon Mastering a game for a bunch of friends that is the most social thing I've done arguably in my entire god damned life, may I just note how much I fucking loathe the Alpha move? For perspective.

The Geek and Sundry twitch stream is what got me into twitch. It was a fun show were every single day had something I was invested in. Monday had No Survivors, a rope playing game show that was constantly hilarious. Tuesday had an amazing combo of a show were the community would vote on Telltale game decisions, then a show were they would go over failed "nerd related" scripts. Wendsday had a show were they would go over movie trailers that was always really fun and entertaining.

All 4 of those shows that I really enjoyed are cancelled. They also stopped running shows at night save for their cash cow, Critical Role, their cash cow, is now the only show that actually runs in the evenings. The show is filmed in god damned California, so all of their cast is unavailable now. The entire community, which G&S was built around, has kinda fallen off a cliff in anger. Meanwhile, the only thing the youtube channel is built around is behind a paywall.

Just what a terrible freaking decision the entire thing has been.

I've been following this even though I don't watch the show, as I am fascinated when people/businesses with something that really works, try to tweak it to make themselves more money but do so in a way that totally turns off their audience. I am sure there was a way they could have done it to make some extra profit, but it just sounds like they went way too far with it. A shame. Hopefully if it does fail as bad as it looks like, they can un-do it or compromise before its too late.

7 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I am sure there was a way they could have done it to make some extra profit, but it just sounds like they went way too far with it. 

Oh they easily could have.  Release full extended editions on Alpha (which fans of the show beg for every year) the day after the regular Youtube editions, doing a commentary on a quarter of the episodes and maybe have 2 or 3 exclusives.  I would pay $7 a month (or whatever it is) for that until TableTop was finished.  

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this is a good place to put this...

4:30 EST and your new pay site that was delayed and is supposed to launch today still giving "We are undergoing maintenance..." messages to a bunch of people who are already pissed that you are making them pay for content they used to get for free really isn't a very good thing...

Hahahahaha.

So I tried signing up out of a morbid curiosity and why not because it's a free month...until I couldn't continue because it claimed my shipping address didn't match postal service records - which is INSANE for an online streaming service.

So yea - super fuck this.

• 3 weeks later...

Amazon is having a huge board game sale today

So if you have a child - like I do - who has a lot of board games on their Christmas list. This might be the day to buy.

Man, there are some awesome deals on the Magic: the Gathering board game in there. That game has gotten much better with the expansions and it's now super discounted.

Tokaido is ultra cheap on there. Probably the cheapest I've ever seen that at. I got that for my birthday and finally got to play it this past weekend. It's a lot of fun. I highly recommend that.