DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL - WEEK ONE

Dolfan in NYC

That INT is the Colts in a nutshell.  Luck is a competitive son of a gun, and will go down guns blazing.  The problem is that the team surrounding him is garbage.  This mess is worse than when Peyton was still a Colt.  At least the offense was good all those years. Luck is just treading water on his own, for the most part.

Oh, and f*ck Fleener.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 33m

Texans fear No. 1 overall pick Jadeveon Clowney has a meniscus tear that could require arthroscopic surgery, per source.

Same time I tore my ACL, I tore my meniscus. The meniscus hurt more. A year later, I tore the meniscus in my other knee. That hurt more than the ACL, the first meniscus, and getting run over by a car (age 14, yo) - combined. Unbelievably excruciating.

Old Man Jackson isn't impressed with Conte (spoilered for size):

pjyjkkv1onyacwnzlqdo.gif

The best part is Conte claimed he was going for the strip which is why he didn't tackle Jackson.  But he didn't get anywhere close to even touching the ball.... he was about as close to stripping it as I was, sitting at home in my living room watching the game.

Still learning about the game into my second full season as a supporter after a lengthy (20+ year) hiatus - NINERS.

Is it me, or did Romo waste chances last night?

The way I see it (and I'm genuinely interested in the mindset here) - he was inside the 10, on a 2nd down, and he ran a pass play and got sacked. Why not run it? He was already a TD (or 2) down - why not run the ball? Or was it that his receivers are better than his runners (forgive me for not getting the technical jargon down)

Secondly, later in the game he was hesitating when his receivers were open...not seeing the receiver at the time, the everlasting threat of another INT or just lol Romo lol?

The way I see it (and I'm genuinely interested in the mindset here) - he was inside the 10, on a 2nd down, and he ran a pass play and got sacked. Why not run it? He was already a TD (or 2) down - why not run the ball? Or was it that his receivers are better than his runners (forgive me for not getting the technical jargon down)

Well in regards to this - Romo isn't calling the plays. That is up to Jason Garrett (head coach) and Bill Callahan (Offensive cordinator). I am not sure which one of them calls the plays for Dallas but yeah... they would have been the one sending the play into Romo.

Now depending on the situation of that game - if the play you are referencing was later in the game (say 4th quarter) - a team trying to come back is going to be throwing instead of running. (Uses up less time - gains more yardage quickly - clock stops if incomplete)

Now... if you are specifically asking why Romo himself didn't scramble and try to run it in after the play broke down... well... Romo running would probably scare me as much as Eli running.

• Like 1

Cheers rippa - obvious to think the coaches would call it. didnt think of that.

I was thinking specifically in the first quarter when Romo got sacked after the passing play and the cowboys settled for a FG. In my (albeit naive and probably simplistic) mind, wouldn't it have made more sense to have a running play? minimal yardage to cover, the tackles could potentially open up an avenue to the endzone?

I can only assume that he was hesitant in the second q as he got picked off a few times in the early going.

Well in regards to this - Romo isn't calling the plays. That is up to Jason Garrett (head coach) and Bill Callahan (Offensive cordinator). I am not sure which one of them calls the plays for Dallas but yeah... they would have been the one sending the play into Romo.

Now depending on the situation of that game - if the play you are referencing was later in the game (say 4th quarter) - a team trying to come back is going to be throwing instead of running. (Uses up less time - gains more yardage quickly - clock stops if incomplete)

Now... if you are specifically asking why Romo himself didn't scramble and try to run it in after the play broke down... well... Romo running would probably scare me as much as Eli running.

Linehan called some odd plays but that's not what really did them in to be honest.  Even though they had success running, they would call consecutive pass plays that would end up putting them in 3rd and long situations.  But really, Romo held the ball too long most of the game.  He wasn't on the same page with his receivers and just didn't look comfortable.  One of the interceptions they had Terrence Williams over the middle wide open for a touchdown but Romo forced it to Dez Bryant in triple coverage.  Another interception in the end zone he had a guy wide open for a touchdown right after he dropped back but he didn't pull the trigger and ended up holding the ball and rolling out and threw the pick.  I think it has a lot to do with the fact that he hasn't been playing and sat out most of the preseason. 

The defense held up a lot better than I thought they would though.  Despite what a lot of people going in said about the lack of a pass rush and the defensive line being lacking, the secondary is the main problem.  Rolando McClain actually looked really good and Bruce Carter made some plays also.  No matter what though, even if the offense can get things going, with the secondary being so clueless all the time they're going to struggle to make it to 8-8.  The season should and hopefully will end with Jason Garrett getting fired. 

I fucking hate Chris Conte. How the rest of the team hasn't filled pillowcases with bars of soap and beaten him to death is beyond me.

Or they can just let Fred Jackson run the ball about 5 times.   Based on that over time run I think the bars of soap would have been less painful

• Like 1

By the way, how in the hell did he not get ejected for that?  I didn't get Browns/Steelers audio in the bar I was watching the games at.  

I think it's barely worth a flag, let alone an ejection.  Honestly I was surprised when I heard he got flagged for the kick.  It's obvious he was trying to hurdle and then just adjusted in mid-air when the kicker didn't do the expected "dive low in case you get lucky" thing.  

By the way, how in the hell did he not get ejected for that?  I didn't get Browns/Steelers audio in the bar I was watching the games at.  

I think it's barely worth a flag, let alone an ejection.  Honestly I was surprised when I heard he got flagged for the kick.  It's obvious he was trying to hurdle and then just adjusted in mid-air when the kicker didn't do the expected "dive low in case you get lucky" thing.  

Also that kick got the Nike logo prominently shown over and over again as that clip made the rounds on the internet.  He'll probably get a bonus for all that viral promotion of an OFFICIAL SPONSOR OF THE NFL

:)

Robert Mathis tore his Achilles - done for the year

He was working out on his own because he is banned from Colts facilities because... again... he was banned 4 games for taking a fertility drug so his mother could see another grand child before she died.