DVDVR Message Board

WWE Home Video Revisionist History

Hunter was pretty fucking over after the face turn as well, though.

DX was pretty fucking over, actually.  As a group, as individuals, whatever.

I assume Austin will get his due when they do an ep dedicated to Austin vs. McMahon.  Although I'm guessing the next ep is back to focusing on Nitro.  Hogan/Sting, maybe?

Jeff Jarrett might not go down as a wrestling legend or anything, but he was getting some intense heat reactions during his feud against Chyna(and Debra to a lesser degree) using the "women belong in the kitchen" Woman Hater act.  It was crazy.

I kind of understand why they were thinking about pushing against Austin during that time...

The New Age Outlaws were nearly as over as Austin.

No. 

Their intro gig was over as hell and people did love the NAO. But in terms of staying with them during the match and keeping the crowd hot, and the crowd being into them for a whole match, not a chance. 

• Like 6

On the DX episode they talk about Shawn gutting it out at WM 14 for the good of the company. Wasn't he almost physically forced out to the ring that night because he didn't want to job to Austin?

There was a rumor going around that Undertaker wanted to kick his ass but I have no idea if that's true.

It had long been said that Shawn was over-exaggerating the problems with his back, so the Undertaker was at the Gorilla position to make certain that Shawn did what was best for business, just in case the rumors were true.  The current party line of Shawn gutting it out could be a friend covering, but watching WM XIV you can tell that Shawn is in "Mr. Perfect at SummerSlam 91" pain during the match.

There's some definite shadiness and revisionist history going on with Shawn's back injury.  He was ready to return to the ring several times including at Mania X7 against Triple H but was sent home for being too messed up.  Interestingly enough the timing of his return coincided with WCW going out of business and likely WWE having no reason to keep him under contract if he wasn't doing anything.

I don't know what to think about his back injuries because he's obviously in a lot of pain at WM but I watched the raw after the Rumble he was injured at and while he doesn't have a match he's doing all kinds of physical skits, jumping into a hearse and stuff, it seems a little weird.

There's some definite shadiness and revisionist history going on with Shawn's back injury.  He was ready to return to the ring several times including at Mania X7 against Triple H but was sent home for being too messed up.  Interestingly enough the timing of his return coincided with WCW going out of business and likely WWE having no reason to keep him under contract if he wasn't doing anything.

I never even knew that part of him being ready to return at X7. But can you imagine what 2001 would've looked like had he not been messed up and he'd been involved in the Alliance storyline?

i'd agree that he was injured, i just think he overstated it. i definitely think it ended up being for the best tho. he was able to clean up his life and it gave the new blood of Austin/Rock amongst others the chance to take the top spot and run with it rather than constantly cross paths with a Michaels who'd potentially refuse to give back.

it IS pretty amazing that he was miraculously healed and able to return very shortly before his contract ran out, when he most likely would not have been re-signed.

My understanding is that he was legitimately hurt, no overstating it. However being off and on more painkillers put him in a worse physical and mental state than ever before. Fucked up his run as commissioner and anything they tried to do with him until he got it together.

You almost wonder where Shawn would be today if he hadn't gotten injured. It seems like he hit some pretty low lows during his hiatus, which may have been lengthened by those lows. 

If Shawn were willing to play ball, the WWF could've run with Shawn Michaels as Vince's chosen challenger through the spring and into the summer. Austin/Michaels II at King of the Ring, Michaels wins the belt back when Vince "Montreals" Austin. Vince bars Austin from ever getting another title shot, Austin ends up getting one anyway and it's at SummerSlam. Austin defies the odds and wins the championship back. After the match, Michaels's lackey Mankind attacks him and we get a Shawn/Mankind feud through the fall as Vince brings Taker and Kane together to take out Austin. 

..........At Survivor Series, we still get Deadly Games but it's Shawn who Rock turns on and not Mick. Rock and HBK feud to close out 1998. Foley can join for a three-way feud too, depending on how it all gets booked.

You almost wonder where Shawn would be today if he hadn't gotten injured. It seems like he hit some pretty low lows during his hiatus, which may have been lengthened by those lows.

If Shawn were willing to play ball, the WWF could've run with Shawn Michaels as Vince's chosen challenger through the spring and into the summer. Austin/Michaels II at King of the Ring, Michaels wins the belt back when Vince "Montreals" Austin. Vince bars Austin from ever getting another title shot, Austin ends up getting one anyway and it's at SummerSlam. Austin defies the odds and wins the championship back. After the match, Michaels's lackey Mankind attacks him and we get a Shawn/Mankind feud through the fall as Vince brings Taker and Kane together to take out Austin.

..........At Survivor Series, we still get Deadly Games but it's Shawn who Rock turns on and not Mick. Rock and HBK feud to close out 1998. Foley can join for a three-way feud too, depending on how it all gets booked.

That all sounds awful, thank god he retired

• Like 3

That all sounds awful, thank god he retired

We would've missed out on the awesome Foley/Austin matches and the build to Taker/Austin so it would've been a huge net loss.

It's Shawn in the 90s though, that SummerSlam match would've never happened. He would've gotten hangnail or something and decided he couldn't wrestle and drop the title.

Didn't he have a "retirement" match against Paul Diamond at his wrestling school right after he left?

It was 2000, and it was a very protective brawl.

A bunkhouse brawl no less.

It wasn't too bad for a garbage brawl either. Was kind of a template for the Summerslam match against HHH. Now that you reminded me of it, I have it on vhs somewhere and need to transfer it to dvd.