DVDVR Message Board

WWE Home Video Revisionist History

The timeline on Triple H and Steve Austin's pushes always gets fudged a bit. If you watch a documentary on Austin, you would think that Austin 3:16 was an AHA! moment and he was pushed from there on out. In reality, he faced Yokozuna on the SummerSlam pre-show and wandered aimlessly for a bit until the Bret feud happened. 

Not only that, but the Bret feud happened largely because Bret wanted it and they needed someone to put him over on his return. Bret was booked to win the Royal Rumble until Vince Russo opened his mouth on Livewire and caused Vince McMahon to change his mind, and Bret was going into a WrestleMania main event with Shawn Michaels until the fake knee injury forced them to throw Austin back into the mix at the last minute. It was only around that point that they really decided to 'go' with Austin, but yes, revisionist history likes to tell you that KOTR '96 happened and then overnight he was a megastar.

Also, what the fuck was The Miz doing on there, wasn't he just some snot-nosed middle school kid when the Monday Night Wars went on?

Miz might have been my least-favourite thing about that first episode. I mean, I'm sure he was there for the precise description you gave, but I don't want to hear his "WOOOAH!" and "It was crazy!" platitudes presented as if he still is that snot-nosed middle schooler. At least Christian was able to give his "I was watching it as a fan" perspective like an actual adult and talk about WHY something was cool, not just that it WAS cool whilst doing an exaggerated impression of his teenage self.

• Like 1

Apparently this Monday Night War thing will be 20 episodes. I really hope once they cover everything possible in 8, the rest is just Keith David voicing Goliath against Wight voicing the Giant in claymation for 12 episodes. 

Gargoyles-goliath-white_bg.jpg vs gary_mike555.jpg

Crap the only picture I can find is of Chyna. That sums up the Monday Night Wars pretty perfectly, I guess.

• Like 1

It's weird how the WWF kind of neglects the fact that the Attitude Era wasn't a switch they turned on after they were getting beaten by WCW in ratings, but rather a slow progression towards an edgier concept of SPORTS ENTURTAINMENT. Goldust debuted in September 1995, Diesel basically went tweener in '96 before leaving with the whole black glove gimmick ("buy the glove if you want to support Diesel, kids!"), and late '96 through '97 had more and more racy shit. The Attitude Era episode of MNW made it seem like VInce's speech was more or less the light switch. Shit, Roddy Piper was "attitude era" as well.

They threw ECW a bone saying they influenced the hardcore/violent in-ring stuff but neglected to say anything about Austin finding himself there, Sandman's influence, or any of the other stuff that would take away from the brilliance of the McMahon.

• Like 3

re: the NWO, I always thought that Luger did the stretcher job early in the match because he was the backup plan?  Has that been debunked?

They didn't even show the Luger stretcher thing in that episode, so anyone not knowing any better would say that it was a tag match between just Sting & Savage and the Outsiders. Fuck, I bet they won't acknowledge the feel-good moment of Luger beating Hogan for the WCW World title...which, by the way, felt more like a payoff than the Hogan-Sting match at Starrcade (Hogan and Bischoff, get fucked by a retarded donkey, seriously!)

• Like 1

How much more can they cover in the Monday Night War series? Much less 17 more episodes. I just watched the latest one and felt like that was the end of it.

They still have to talk about the collosal fuckups with guys like Jericho and Eddie who went to WWE and eventually became big. You know they're going to celebrate that one

Hell they haven't even really gotten into the 00s yet which should just be an hour of shitting on WCW if I'm anticipating anything like they usually do

The thing that stuck with me on the last MNW was the divas segment, which might be the most subtly sexist thing I've ever seen.    Also, I always find it laughable how WWE bemoans WCW "stealing" their guys to get popular when A) Vince did the same thing in the 80s, and 2) at least WCW signed guys who were legit free agents.  It's not their fault that WWE didn't think Hogan and Savage had anymore value.

The thing that stuck with me on the last MNW was the divas segment, which might be the most subtly sexist thing I've ever seen.    Also, I always find it laughable how WWE bemoans WCW "stealing" their guys to get popular when A) Vince did the same thing in the 80s, and 2) at least WCW signed guys who were legit free agents.  It's not their fault that WWE didn't think Hogan and Savage had anymore value.

The exception of course being Lex Luger. If I recall correctly, Luger gave Vince verbal assurance that he would stay with the WWF.

How the hell did he manage to tear his urethra? Did he crush his dong between the chair and his own leg?? That must have hurt like hell

re: the NWO, I always thought that Luger did the stretcher job early in the match because he was the backup plan?  Has that been debunked?

They didn't even show the Luger stretcher thing in that episode, so anyone not knowing any better would say that it was a tag match between just Sting & Savage and the Outsiders. Fuck, I bet they won't acknowledge the feel-good moment of Luger beating Hogan for the WCW World title...which, by the way, felt more like a payoff than the Hogan-Sting match at Starrcade (Hogan and Bischoff, get fucked by a retarded donkey, seriously!)

I hope the Luger victory gets covered as well. Sure, his reign only lasted a week, but the whole thing with the cameras going into the two locker rooms after the finish was really, really well done. WCW's locker room has the Giant cleaning the spray paint off the belt while they're spraying champagne on Luger, while in the NWO locker room Hogan is flipping tables while Macho Man is yelling "IT WAS A FLUKE, BROTHER!" It really added some legitimacy to the proceedings

• Like 2

How the hell did he manage to tear his urethra? Did he crush his dong between the chair and his own leg?? That must have hurt like hell

I hope the Luger victory gets covered as well. Sure, his reign only lasted a week, but the whole thing with the cameras going into the two locker rooms after the finish was really, really well done. WCW's locker room has the Giant cleaning the spray paint off the belt while they're spraying champagne on Luger, while in the NWO locker room Hogan is flipping tables while Macho Man is yelling "IT WAS A FLUKE, BROTHER!" It really added some legitimacy to the proceedings

You mean a champ was pissed off about losing his title?  What the fuck is this all about?

• Like 2

You mean a champ was pissed off about losing his title?  What the fuck is this all about?

It proves that Hogan doesn't have the heart of the CENATION.

John Cena would've shown up at Road Wild with a smile on his face.

• Like 1

What a novel concept! I meant the actual locker room celebration being aired, more so than the reactions of those involved-- it felt like something you'd see after a guy pitches a no hitter or something rather than something that screams pro wrestling

IIRC what actually happened to Johnny the Bull was that his urethra was torn from his bladder.

That makes more sense. I hear urethra and immediately think of the dick hole itself

2000 Nitro wasn't so bad.  It gave us amazing moments like this:

As a general rule I'm against wrestlers injuring themselves, but if you're going to do a stupid spot like that, you kinda deserve it.

When Terry Funk is telling you something is a really bad idea....

• Like 1

Another thing that I suspect to be revisionist history is on the Rise & Fall of WCW DVD where Mike Graham talks about how he had the idea to scrap Clash Of The Champions. Like he's all of a sudden this huge visionary.

And wow, did he ever bury Jeff Jarrett. Say what you will about Jarrett, but I don't recall Mike Graham holding ANY world titles.

By the time they dumped the Clash, WCW already had a whole bunch of live wrestling on tv every week so the Clash was redundant.

Well yeah I get that, but Graham is portraying himself as being the one that decided to replace them with PPV's like he's some great booking mind.