DVDVR Message Board

August 2014 Football Thread

Dolfan in NYC

Guest The Magnificent 7

Celtic have signed Stefan Scepovic for 4 million Euros, Serb striker who scored I think 24 goals for Gijon in the Segunda division last year.  I like this signing, our strikers are really crap right now. 

In what world is Angel di Maria worth £60m?

The world where you're trying to buy one of the European champions best players and said European champions have heard you're moron of a Chief Executive say "We can spend anything" plus they've seen the crazy Adidas deal United have signed.

You want top quality you're going to have to pay. plus Real want to show their fans (80% plus of who are pissed off he's leaving) that they got a great price for him.

though I suppose he'll be just that for United behind Wade Rodney, RVP, and perhaps Mata. How does he fit into Van Gaal's 5-3-2?

Did you watch United last season? have you seen United this season?

Just like last season, lethargic and one paced in attack, nobody that's going to carry the ball and beat a man. Di Maria is needed. He'll go straight into the team.

Watching Cleverley play today was like watching me pick up a FIFA game for the first time in years, in that it's incredibly likely I'll hit the wrong button or be pointed in the wrong direction and the ball won't remotely do what I wanted it to do.

Jozy's first touch I was like "here we go!" and then he disappeared. Ah well.

That pretty much sums up Jozy's entire career.

RE: di Maria, yeah, lack of Carrick is really hurting the team.  Herrera is off and needs time, and Fletcher hasn't gotten over his illness fully yet, but that's not all on him.  di Maria can slot in that midfield pretty easy since right now, they need CM's that can go wide to make up for the lack of Wingbacks playing wingback.  The lack of anyone over 22 playing CB that can't fully figure out how to cover causing the wings to play fullback, which Valencia can kinda pull off, but Young sure as hell can't keep up doing an entire season isn't helping.  The faster Rojo and Shaw can get their shit together and get into the line up, the better.  I'm wondering how much of Smalling coming off  minutes before half was "injury" and how much was LVG being "Ok, you can't run that line for shit, Phil's turn."  

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with what LVG wants to do, but he ain't gonna turn over the squad enough in the next week to get there.  If you're a realistic United fan, this year Europa's the goal, and that's gonna be hard.

A fan called 606 and said he would not watch United as long as ashley young was on the team.

606 and Talksport always put through the knobs, just listen to some of the emails and tweets they read out on SSN as well, moron views attract more fuss. The amount of Arsenal fans i've heard over the years say they'd never watch Arsenal again until Wenger's gone, United fans who only ring in when we lose or to take a pop at Fergie, Liverpool fans saying their winning the league because they beat Dortmund in a preseason friendly etc

I think the funny thing about 606 now is how they love putting on kids/teens who are super nerdy (anarak-y) about their team, discussing formations and zonal marking like they were jonathan wilson or michael cox.

They go great with the 60/70/80 year o ild fans that call to talk about pre-wwii football.

I think the funny thing about 606 now is how they love putting on kids/teens who are super nerdy (anarak-y) about their team, discussing formations and zonal marking like they were jonathan wilson or michael cox.

They go great with the 60/70/80 year o ild fans that call to talk about pre-wwii football.

Well, Football Manager did create a generation of monsters.

Course, there is the one kid that did get a job managing a team with only years of playing FM on his CV.

FIFA Women´s U20 World Cup concluded with Germany beating Nigeria by 1-0 after extra time. The game seemed to be mostly dominated by Nigeria (Did only watch parts of it), and could have been won by the Africans in regulation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG_3JJbQf3c

I know that you lose and win together in team sports, but if I was playing for Nigeria´s U20 I´d be fuming with rage about the forward who stole the goal while being clearly offside.

8 games for stroking a refs hair.

Simeone watching tonights game possibly in a prison

Bv6fsK-IUAA5LDz.jpg

Di Maria to United is now reported to be £59.7m plus addons that could total £5m. Reports in Holland say Daley Blind to United is a done deal.

Giroud could be out for 3 months, time for Wenger to get the checkbook out or continue to waste Sanchez up front.

Oh and Liverpool :lol:

None of the teams I´d have liked to go through to the CL-group stage made it. From what I could tell none of them really deserved it, albeit the Maribor goal had a pinball vibe to it. Celtic looked without rhythm for quite a lot of their match. Aalborg was just outclassed. Bratislava wasn´t creating much and got countered on at the end. I was a little surprised how the Celtic fans reacted with boos and jeers. Always thought they didn´t do that kind of stuff, although I could definetly see why they´d be frustrated today.

Sorry for Celtic-brother Mag7. Hope your team will get a good EURO-league showing.