DVDVR Message Board

August 2014 Football Thread

Dolfan in NYC

@bbc

James Alexander Gordon, the voice of classified football results for 40 years on BBC radio, has died aged 78 http://t.co/ttKlnioQVt

A great, great voice and the voice of Saturday evenings for any football fan in the British Isles of the last 40 years. Unfortunately, there's not one single example of his work on youtube.

Caught the last 30 minutes of the Madrid Derby and it was awesome and intense per usual.

James scored his first Real goal which had Real fans celebrating a moment before Raúl García scored a goal by flicking the ball in the net from a corner kick.

I was kind of hoping that Celtic would copy the angle where Mikey Whipwreck won the ECW tv title by accident and would get destroyed but retain the title by reverse decision DQ's.

Renewed my Metro ST's for 2015 today. This year I got at least 20 matches between league, Arsenal friendly and CCL (any home playoff matches are also included), so for $325 I got pretty good value for my money. Team is planning on doing a 180 on it's policy of ignoring Metro history, and there is talk of doing a "Metro" third jersey for next year's 20th season. Hoping they honor club legends, my first 4 picks: Gio, Clint, Howard and JPA (would've included Donodoni but JPA had a longer stint here. They do a ring of honor he does belong as well).

The good:

Awesome celebrations

balotelli-geodude1.jpg

mario-balotelli-goal-vs-bologna.gif?w=72

Manchester-City-v-Manches-007.jpg

He adopted a stray cat that continually showed up at City's training ground, the money story, the fireworks story, "why always me?", and the other goofy shenanigans.

At least when he's an idiot, it's not of the bite another human being variety that leads to months gone.

The price, too. We're getting him for what is a song in modern football (saddening) and could recoup much of it if we sell Fabio flippin' Borini. It's low risk for us and Marcotti's right in stating it's a hell of a deal from Liverpool's perspective.

The Bad:

Replacing one talented distraction with another but one that scores at a fraction of the pace from open play. Brendan needs to play Mario and play him often to assuage that ego. He doesn't have a great work rate unlike Suarez and Liverpool relies on a frantic pressing game from their strikers, the second thing we'll miss most from Luis after the goals. Neither Sturridge or Mario do this well. *shrug* That's about it.

I'm on board for this price. I've always loved the guy and we have enough games that he can play central when Sturridge is either crocked or fatigued and wide or... in the hole when Sturridge is healthy. Rodgers has had success with getting the most from perceived (and in at least one case: real) headcases in Suarez and Sturridge. We could sell him at a slight loss if he should be a disaster but from what I've read and seen he's more of an "Oh, that's our Mario" problem for teammates than the cancer SolidGoldBomb depicted.

Now, get a proper backup keeper, ship a few players out, and perhaps bring in another midfielder and we're sitting very pretty.

• Like 1

I'm honestly convinced Balotelli isn't nearly as crazy as the media says he is. Merely that he's a genuine non-conformist which would be all well and good but sports is, at this point, one of the least accepting worlds for non-conformists. Some of the shit he's done is in my opinion clearly just Mario amusing himself trolling the media because they are easy to troll.

Some of it is just... okay he's a bit odd.

He does take too many dumb fouls for a striker.

But I like him, I cannot lie. He does seem to have an amazingly short shelf life but hey 2 or 3 years of Balotelli is still what, 40 league goals?

• Like 1

Yeah he's not as bad as the media portrays him...but the problem is the media has latched onto him with their "controversial figure" narrative so everything he does is amplified, to the point where he becomes a distraction to the locker room. Like if Balotelli stopped this morning to get a coffee and gave a homeless man a ride in his Bugatti it would be national news.   Now just being around him increases scrutiny and pressure on the team, and puts everything and everyone at a club under the microscope.  Everywhere he goes it becomes the Mario Show, and that's not whats good for business.

And then on the field sure he has the raw potential, but he's a headcase as well often getting dumb fouls for giving out flying BOM-BA-YE knees and stupid shit like that.  He's always been under too much pressure to be THE GUY for club and country and he knows it, and it makes him uncomfortable.  If he was just regular old Mario, i'm sure he's fun to hang around and have a laugh with, but his issue has always been the gap between people expecting greatness from him and his unwillingness to leave his goofiness behind and be a mature squad leader.  And that inner conflict always seems to manifest itself when the pressure is highest and you need him most... and he inevitably loses his cool.

I'm reading all over Twitter Di María to Man United is a possibility and that Van Gaal is giving Welbeck green light to leave.