DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

Guest The Magnificent 7

So has anyone been following the story of the Belgian girl who got picked out in crowd shots during games and got a L'oreal contract out of it?

Yeah, well, never mind.

Facebook Strikes Again

The anti-hunting crowd are the worst.  Fuck those bunch of clowns. 

http://www.ibtimes.com/steven-spielberg-triceratops-trophy-shot-causes-backlash-against-director-facebook-1625562

Guest The Magnificent 7

You know for a fact the animal she took was endangered?  Do you know if she took the animal illegally?  Do you know if she ended up feeding plenty of people with it?  Do you know more than the folks who run conservation efforts in the country it was taken in to say whether it was a good idea or not? 

I don't know the answers to these questions based on a photograph.  I bet you 90% of the people who talk bullshit about this girl can't identify the animal.  Most of the articles don't even that I've seen (the first one posted does, though).   But that's why I withhold kneejerk moral outrage unlike the anti-hunting crowd who knows very little about hunting and actual conservation.  99% of hunters hate unethical hunters, poachers, genuine dumbasses who do things like hunt by spotlight that are considered unethical.  The amount of money generated in my state by hunters used for conservation is huge. 

Myself, I eat meat and don't pretend that the kind of slaughter done in factory farms is noble compared to hunting.  Hunting is something humans have done since forever ago.  I fish.  I hunt.  I do so ethically.  I don't choose to take pictures and share them, but that doesn't make me morally superior to her, just my personal decision.  Like any endeavor you can have good and bad coming from it.  I don't know enough about this Belgian lass.  I'm certainly not going to wish death or harm on her like morons do. 

http://www.economist.com/node/9199799

It certainly looks like a cheetah (though, it would appear some claim it to be a leopard) and they are listed as vulnerable by the IUCN Red List.

Factory farms are disgusting, unethical, and incredibly damaging to the environment. You'll get no argument from me there.

Guest The Magnificent 7

It looks like a gazelle to me. 

What matters is that hunting and conservation is much more complicated and nuanced than MURDERER KILL THE BITCH.  Fuck those people. 

On the one hand, I don't care about any of this and would like you guys to move this shit out of the World Cup thread...

but on the other hand, I want to know how the hell Swayze sees a cheetah or possibly a leopard while Mag sees a gazelle.

• Like 1

I was just on a SOCCER forum and they went on for pages about NBA in a transfer window thread. It was infuriating.

I don't even know what this National Bellend Association is anyway. I wish FSW was here, he's probably a member.

I moderated a cricket forum for years. NBA is the sport with far too much meaningless scoring for my tastes.

Anyway, hopefully both Brazil and the Netherlands acknowledge this game means fuck all and actually play an open game. Should be a regulation in the third place match that you can't select defenders at all.

A bronze medal game without a bronze medal to award.

It's like a riddle.

Dutch are still playing RVP and Robben up front, so at least judging by lineup they'll care about this.

Meanwhile Brazil finally benches HULK and Fred.

Brazil would have been in a much worse place if the ref made the right call there, free kick outside the box and a red card for Silva.

Still, they must be panicking somewhat, even if this is a meaningless encounter.

Robin van Persie just completely slammed Pierre van Hooijdonk on Dutch TV. I'm not sure if you remember Van Hooijdonk that well, but he was the star of Feyenoord when they won the UEFA Cup in 2002. Him and Van Persie have hated eachother ever since RvP claimed a free kick that Pierre wanted to take. Pierre's been a regular studio analyst the last couple of years and he's never missed an opportunity to take shots at RvP, always being a hypocrite about it and pretending it's nothing personal.

RvP called him out on it in an interview. He basically called him an idiot, said nobody wants to hear from him and that Pierre should just stick to golf. And having had to listen to Pierre for the last couple of years, I fully agree with RvP. He's just dreadful.

The best part was Van Hooijdonk's response afterwards, just sitting there with a face like somebody just told him Santa Clause wasn't real. He'd thought he'd get always away with his nonsense, but it finally caught up with him.

He also hinted at already knowing which Dutch players will join him at United, no names obviously. After the game Van Gaal told Arjen Robben he could always join United, won't happen though, obviously.

• Like 1