DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

By Fuzzy Dunlop: Yeah, it's funny, I try to watch most matches in every World Cup because it's the World Cup and you might just be witnessing history (I mean, fuck, they're going to be talking about the 7-1 in 50 years time) but, off the top of my head, I can't remember ever watching one of the 3rd place playoff matches. I mean, no dude ever thought 'I wonder who finished 3rd in the 1974 World Cup?' Ain't nobody give a shit. It's a nothing match they should scrap.

Poland it was. And no, I didn´t google it. ;)

Anyway, wanted to give a little World Cup conclusion since after Sunday I will either feel crushingly defeated or joyously victorious. Either way, my view and thoughts on the tournament will be heavily clouded by the outcome of the very last match.To me, even if we ultimately saw established names in the semis, this was a World Cup of surprises. You could see that hard work beats "football heritage", best examples were Chile and Costa Rica who performed fantastically. The knockout stages seemed incredibly close on most parts, aside from two results it was always one goal or even penalty kicks seperating respective teams. It was also interesting just how vastly different the group stages and the knockout stages were in regardas of playing style. The wild and attacking style was quickly dropped for a more calculated and cautious approach, which makes sense of course, but has rarely happened in the past, at least not in that magnitude. It always took at least a round or two for the teams to adjust, and especially the first round always saw a category of teams going out guns blazing and losing big, something I didn´t see this tournament (unless you count losing 0-2 "guns blazing and losing big" that is).

The big positive suprises - to me - were Costa Rica and to a degree Chile. Columbia performed well, but had a pretty good draw up until the quarter finals and I considered them a strong site beforehand, despite the Falcao-injury. Chile was only a surprise to a degree because they were held in high regard before the tournament anyway and showed some great performances against teams like England and Germany, looking like a viable team to upset the Netherlands or Spain in Group B. Speaking of which, Spain was of course a major negative surprise. Of course they didn´t look as strong before the tournament as they looked throughout 2008 or 2010, but that´s something tending to happen with big teams. They seemed the same before the last EUROs, which they won. There was no shame in losing to the Netherlands and to Chile who put on two really good performances against the reigning champions. How they lost what was so amazing an shocking aswell as indicating the time´s here for a change of guard within the Spanish national squad. And despite seeing the semi finals for the first time in quite a few years, their two games against European powerhouses showed Brazil that something went awry with their Selecao aswell. I think the problem in Brazil might go deeper than that of the Spaniards, who have gazillions of greatly performing young players waiting to be entering senior level competition.

With all the memorable matches, the game I enjoyed most from a somewhat unbiased pov was USA versus Belgium. It was full of drama and really good football, although the goals came very late. As a former goalkeeper, I loved Tim Howard´s excellent performance that match. Combined with what he did during the group stages, I can totally buy into him being among the top 5 of the world, as Klinsmann put it. Generally, the US were part of three really fun to watch games. Might be Klinsmann´s influence, I don´t know. My biggest personal moments where Klose tieing and later breaking the All time World Cup scoring record. I doubted that he´d be enough for us in regards of attacking power, but he did his job and he has been one of my favourite players since he emerged somewhere in qualification in 2001 I believe. It´s great to have seen him coming as far as he did. The goals of van Persie (header) vs Spain, James vs Uruguay (chest – volley – combo), Cahill vs Netherlands were astonishing displays of great finishing, the second German goal against Brazil, although ultimately a rebound finish by Klose, was my personal passing combination of the tourney so far though.

Since we are at the personal stuff, I might aswell go to the final piece of my wall of text: The performance of "my" German squad. I also feel as if I have to give a little "personal tournament history" with "Die Mannschaft“ for others to show where I´m coming from." I know a lot of people think we are always strong and it´s normal for us to do well in international competitions, but we had a pretty bad spell because our FA´s system in scouting players was ridiculously outdated in the mid-nineties and we were basically relying on the same generation of players - or at least those that hadn´t retired - who won the World Cup in 1990. After the cataclysmic performance at the EURO 2000 in Belgium and the Netherlands a lot of things changed. I know we still somehow made it to the finals of the 2002 World Cup, but that was largely due to having arguably the best GK in the world at that point and a lot of luck of draw. What it did was that it made people think "well, it´s not that bad, we shouldn´t change too much" within our FA.

It was only after another group stage EURO-elimination in 2004 we got a visionary manager supported by a visionary headcoach who were willing to change the very foundation of our game and go for a more flexible offensive playing style and a speed up passing play. Klinsmann and Loew were a young tandem and phased in more an more young players who fitted their bill, often stepping on toes as they did. There were lots of doubts if they were the right guys for the job, especially in the friendlies leading to the home World Cup. While the 2006-2008 squads performed well, they performed well within their limits and in both tournaments (especially in 2006) lady luck helped us to get through. The squad at the 2010 World Cup, basically the foundation for the roster which was nominated for 2014, was very young and not quite yet experienced back then, but performed well overall and was in incredible form, they showed amazing potential. And thereby they left German football fans with dreams and desires of title wins.

A lot of us, whether it´s on the board, media or anywhere else, expected this team to win EURO 2012. They qualified winning ten consecutive games, beat big name opponents convincingly in friendlies in 2011 and had grown. The semi-final elimination against Italy was frustrating and heartbreaking at the same time. It also showed you should take nothing for granted as a fan and it was humbling to a certain degree.

2014 was a World Cup that had a bad start to it before it even started. Our biggest strength, our midfield, was supposed to be the part of the squad that should help us perform well. It was there to outbalance our lack of depth up front and our problematic fullback positions. Long time injuries of a player like Gündogan we could handle, but shortly before the tournament we lost the Bender-twins (that´s got to be funny somehow) and the one player that was on fire for most and especially the last part of the season, Marco Reus. With 35-year-old soon-to-be-36 Miro Klose up front, a totally off-form Mesut Özil and long-term injured Semi Khedira aswell as Phillip Lahm and Bastian Schweinsteiger catching ankle injuries right before the tournament, I was 100% sure of a and even predicted - at best - a quarter final exit.

The team fought to a bunch of problems and showed some real character. Also they seemed to get in progressively better form during the KO-stages. Now they are part of the final, and I´m 100 % sure for the first time since 1996 that we deserve being there. I only hope the players will keep going at it one last time and bring home the cup, albeit this will probably be an away game with very vocal Argentinian fans and a tough squad with flashes of Messi on the other side of the pitch. However this turns out (and I think it´s a 50-50 game), the team has put in some memorable performances and fought through some rough patches and they deserve respect and acknowledgement for their success. I have been a nervous wreck for the most of the matches, but ultimately the thrillride is what we fans want from football. We want to be amazed, we want to be emotionalized and while we of course prefer the win in the end, we really like the ups and downs and I felt Germany gave me quite a few of those. I´m happy to continue disagreeing and bitching with Loews or any other manager decisions as long as I´m wrong and they are right about it.

Anyway, one last thing, directed at all of you: Like every other year we discuss our way through a summer football tournament, it were amazing times and some really great discussions with you guys. I´ll happily be back again in 2016, when the EURO will come to France and all of us have some new international competition to talk about! And from now on, see you sometime in the aftermath, hopefully after days of dancing drunk in the streets, my friends.

Oh, and I apologize for being horrific at predicting matches this cup, I gave up on it quite early.

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

Robin van Persie just completely slammed Pierre van Hooijdonk on Dutch TV. I'm not sure if you remember Van Hooijdonk that well, but he was the star of Feyenoord when they won the UEFA Cup in 2002. Him and Van Persie have hated eachother ever since RvP claimed a free kick that Pierre wanted to take. Pierre's been a regular studio analyst the last couple of years and he's never missed an opportunity to take shots at RvP, always being a hypocrite about it and pretending it's nothing personal.

RvP called him out on it in an interview. He basically called him an idiot, said nobody wants to hear from him and that Pierre should just stick to golf. And having had to listen to Pierre for the last couple of years, I fully agree with RvP. He's just dreadful.

The best part was Van Hooijdonk's response afterwards, just sitting there with a face like somebody just told him Santa Clause wasn't real. He'd thought he'd get always away with his nonsense, but it finally caught up with him.

Well to be fair, only an idiot would try to take a free kick before big Pierre.  He was fucking awesome at free kicks. 

Well to be fair, only an idiot would try to take a free kick before big Pierre.  He was fucking awesome at free kicks.

Yeah, you're mostly right. Even though the spot was way too far to the right for Pierre's rightfoot, back then Pierre was the man and you didn't do that. To RvP's credit, he proved he was somewhat right by almost scoring it. But to Pierre it was more about the slap to the face, having this kid claim the ball and not giving it up when he was told to do so. His anger was very much justified back then.

The sad part is Pierre, who's in his mid 40's now, is still upset about something an arrogant teenager did more than ten years ago. It's almost obsessive the way he keeps stabbing away at Robin.

I just found out another analyst also told Pierre he should stop being so childish about RvP in last night's pre-game show.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Yeah, you're mostly right. Even though the spot was way too far to the right for Pierre's rightfoot, back then Pierre was the man and you didn't do that. To RvP's credit, he proved he was somewhat right by almost scoring it. But to Pierre it was more about the slap to the face, having this kid claim the ball and not giving it up when he was told to do so. His anger was very much justified back then.

The sad part is Pierre, who's in his mid 40's now, is still upset about something an arrogant teenager did more than ten years ago. It's almost obsessive the way he keeps stabbing away at Robin.

I just found out another analyst also told Pierre he should stop being so childish about RvP in last night's pre-game show.

It's stupid.  A lot of ex-pro's for some reason feel the need to put the boots into their former teams & ex-teammates.  The producers like controversy so I imagine they encourage it. 

As good as Pierre was, he was a bit of a headcase at times and I'm sure that hasn't changed.

The Dutch should be pissed because everyone has now forgotten they broke Spain's back and made them humble jabroni.

In the World Cup or  the 17th century?

Both.

Portugal get no respect as a colonial superpower either. Shit was ridiculous. All you hear is Spain this, England that.

• Like 2

Guest The Magnificent 7

This only happens once every 4 years.  I'm really stoked and you should be, too. 

Prediction:

Argies 2 - 1 Germany (aet)

I've got my St. Pauli top on today for no reason in particular, so maybe that helps Germany.  ;P  My prediction may help, too.  ;P

Shitty finishes and dumb offsides aside.  So far this has been a tense final with some generous and risky attacking play.

And Argentina is there, man.  No "machine wears you down for 105 minutes and then scores one".

So far, really fun.