DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLERS OF THE DAY: INSANE CLOWN POSSE

RIPPA

Man - I knew folks didn't like Konnan but I didn't realize how universal the hate was. I am sure many of the folks I hate everyone else will be U SO CRAZY OLD MAN! THEY WERE THE BEES KNEES!!!!

However I am fairly certain that does not apply to the fucking ICP

God Damn Violent J and Shaggy 2 Dope

God Damn them for making me figure out which was better for the sake of the 500. (Which was Shaggy 2 Dope since he clearly was the bumper of the two.)

God Damn Juggalos

Hmm... 2nd day in a row of someone I can link directly to Vampiro. I am sensing a theme...

You always hear that older talent really like to work for them. I think the term "class act" has been used. That is the one positive thing in the world I have to say about them, except for the fact that they are obviously people who have fun doing what they love. They just happened to be a blight upon it.

I never had to judge them for the 500 though.

Yeah, they're a nice payday for dudes who deserve one at their Gathering show. Plus there's the Terry Funk money story. They seem like they truly love the sport, even though their fans can be goofs. Hey, as long as they don't move the Gathering to my backyard, I don't care what they do. Actually, they can move the Gathering to my backyard, I'd like to meet Ass Dan.

I just realized it's entirely possible I've never heard an Insane Clown Posse song.  I can't name a single song of theirs, or recall what sounds like.  Since I've mostly only listened to talk radio the past 15 years and bought like two cds, I may not have ever heard them aside from maybe rapping as they made their way to the ring in WCW. 

Yeah, I'm old. 

Anyway, here's the infamous "bus match" with Mike Awesome.  Their last match in WCW, I think?  After the bump off the top of the bus, they probably decided it was time to call it a day.

Nothing match, but noteworthy for the number of bad WCW ideas crammed into one segment.  Were ICP even formally trained?  Barely trained non-wrestlers + really stupid gimmick for a guy who could have made them some money + powerbombing barely trained non-wrestler off top of bus = what could possibly go wrong.

For me anyway, ICP are leagues away from Konnan in the "deserve hate" department.  Of course, it might be tough to find someone as hated as Konnan around here.

Violent J had a pretty decent moonsault but was still a useless sandbagger.  S2D was the bumper of the unit but had the worst punches in all of wrestling.   You can tell from their JCW promotion stuff that they sincerely love wrasslin' and are brilliant bookers, but they never should've been inside a squared circle..

I do not blame them so much for being a pox upon the sport as much as I do Russo for turing WCW into fucking Westworld for retards and letting money marks just jump into the ring and become contenders or involve themselves in angles..

Holy Shit! I totally blanked out the WWE run

I remember how giddy I was when I got both of them in a death pool. And then they both disappointed me

• Like 3

I remember how giddy I was when I got both of them in a death pool. And then they both disappointed me

I LOL'ed. They seem to have their heads on straight, no drug arrests/rehab.

Have y'all ever seen one of their movies? I saw the Western (I was bored) and God, it was HORRIBLE. The highlight of the movie was Scott Hall playing a drunk in an Oscar-winning performance.

Yeah, they're a nice payday for dudes who deserve one at their Gathering show. Plus there's the Terry Funk money story. They seem like they truly love the sport, even though their fans can be goofs. Hey, as long as they don't move the Gathering to my backyard, I don't care what they do. Actually, they can move the Gathering to my backyard, I'd like to meet Ass Dan.

What's the Terry Funk story?

What's the Terry Funk story?

From Terry's book, stolen from another message board, spoilerized for length:

Lawler approached me about doing the show earlier in 2004, when we both worked a show for the Insane Clown Posse. The Insane Clown Posse is a pair of rappers, Violent Jay and Shaggy 2 Dope, who paint their faces up like clowns. They're also completely insane and a couple of wrestling fans. They put out a videotape where they were commenting on old matches. One of the matches had me versus Abdullah the Butcher, and they kept knocking us and laughing at us. "Look at those two big goofs, acting like they're wrestling. Ha Ha Ha!" After I heard about that every time someone told me they were going to see the Insane Clown Posse, I said, "Tell them if I see them, I'm going to go ahead and kick their asses! Goofy bastards, knocking me on a tape and using it without my consent!" Of Course, I wouldn't have known the Insane Clown Posse from Adam and Eve, if I'd seen them on the street. I sure wasn't listening to their damn music!

Finally, I got a call at the ranch from Sabu: "Terry, I've got the Insane Clown Posse here. They want to come and see you, but they don't know if you're mad at them or not". "Well," I said, "bring the sons of bitches out here." They had just finished a show in Corpus Christi, and their next one was in Houston, so they took their bus all the way from Corpus Christi to Amarillo, and then back down to Houston after they met me! I told you they were nuts! And so the Insane Clown Posse came into the house, and Vicki had some chili cooked up. They Sat down and ate a bowl of chili apiece and talked to me. They said they were sorry if I was upset over what they said on the tape, and we buried the hatchet. Then, Violent Jay said, "Terry, we want to leave you some money for using the tape of you." I said, "No, no, don't do that!" "Yes, Terry, we're going to leave it under this jar, on this counter here!"

I kept telling them not to, but I walked into the next room before them. They followed me in, and told me they had to go. We said our goodbyes, and the Insane Clown Posse drove off in their bus. And I walked back into the other room, to get the money I knew they'd left. I have to tell you, I was excited. I was thinking, "Oh boy, I bet they left me twenty bucks, or maybe even forty," which would have just tickled mepink. I thought I'd have enough to pay for the chili, at least, and so I was really happy at the notion of having twenty bucks. I went in there, lifted up the jar....and there was four thousand dollars there!

And so let me tell you people something right now-I love the Insane Clown Posse! The next retirement match I have, they're going to be in the semifinal! They're the greatest band in the world, and I have all of their records. Haven't got around to listening to them yet, but I have them here somewhere. Later, I got a call that they wanted me to work at a show they were putting on, and I went. And I was amazed. Vince McMahon could learn a thing or two from the Insane Clown Posse, and I'm not lying. Those boys run a better show, and a smarter one, than even WWE does. It was a four-day event, held outdoors, about 40 miles from the middle

of nowhere. They drew a total of about 11,000 people, and they were charging 180 bucks a pop, just to get in. And it's two guys! That's all it is! The Insane Clown Posse is a two-man outfit! I think of a posse as 20 idiots running around with rifles. But this was just two guy. It reminded me, in a way, of the show my father did, where his match with "Iron" Mike DiBiase was the only one on the card. They paid the people who worked for them a set amount, and then they split the lion's share of the proceeds, because they're the stars! Those two goofy bastards are two of the smartest people I've ever met!

And it was the greatest place in the world to sell T-shirts. I had my Terry Funk T-shirts and was selling them when I wasn't wrestling. Well, those people were so smoked up on that marijuana, they didn't need much convincing. Someone would walk by and see me and say, "Hey, Terry, how are you doin?" I'd say, "Come on over here and buy a shirt."

"Nah, Terry, I don't wanna buy a shirt."

"Oh, come on and buy a shirt!"

"No, I don't know, man."

"Oh, come on and buy a damn shirt!"

"Well, OK."

I didn't even wear my own shirt to the ring. I left my vest, my chaps and all that crap. I wore my Juggalo T-shirt, with the Insane Clown Posse on the front. I like to think of myself as the honorary third member of the Insane Clown Posse now!

God I love Terry Funk

And Funk might make me have to re-think my rage

Though to be totally fair, my rage is more from their shitty wrestling and their fans and the clown makeup. The god damn clown makeup

• Like 1

Oh, I have some JCW stuff on my laptop.  Those two guys are great bookers but should never ever ever get inside a ring again ever ever.

My perception of the ICP is further clouded by some Juggalos being colletively goofy.. which is why I shoot them on sight in GTA Online.

God I love Terry Funk

And Funk might make me have to re-think my rage

Though to be totally fair, my rage is more from their shitty wrestling and their fans and the clown makeup. The god damn clown makeup

You should hold out for a payout from ICP before agreeing to re-think your rage.

I already told this in the Combat Toyota thread, but I bought Stranglemania 2 on VHS at a pawn shop when I was a kid and got a kick out of it. They were clearly drunk and getting drunker as the proceedings went on, and it was just fun to listen to them say the stupidest shit over the top of Japanese garbage matches. And of course, Combat/Kudo was legit amazing as a match no matter who is commenting over it. 

They give the Hammer a paycheck for being on their show so that's cool (Vampiro too, which isn't), along with all the other guys in JCW and the guys they pull for the Gathering. Funny, I used to live a half hour drive away from Cave-In Rock where they held the Gathering for all those years. Never even knew about it. 

But yeah aside from that ICP fucking sucks. Magnets, what do they do?

I hate ICP's music, I hate ICP's wrestling, and I really hate ICP's fanbase.

I am greatly annoyed by the fact that their thread of hate has turned into this acknowledgement that they're a couple of decent guys who love wrestling and aren't nearly as big a blight on the Earth as I'd thought.

• Like 1