DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: JUNE

RIPPA

Speaking of the Phillies

In the least shocking news of the month - now that Jimmy Rollins is the all time Phillies hit leader he is open to waiving his no-trade clause

Fuck.  .394 in '94.

This was tobacco-related wasn't it?

Yeah - his cancer was of the salivary gland and Gwynn said it was his years of dipping that caused it.

Probably the best pure hitter of my lifetime, and an awesome guy to boot. This really sucks.

Agreed. In the 30 years or so I've been a baseball fan, I've never seen a better pure hitter than Tony Gwynn. One of the few non-Twins that I really enjoyed watching.

Awwwwww man.

His teammates swear (there were more, but I specifically remember Sheff saying it) he could have hit 30-35 jacks a season if he wanted to. But he was more interested in slapping the outer half stuff to left and setting the table. Smartest hitter of his generation, bar none.

@AceballStats: #Padres Tony Gwynn faced Greg Maddux 107 times in his career, more than any other pitcher; Gwynn batted .415, Maddux never struck him out.

That's nuts right there. Arguably the greatest pitcher of his generation, and Gwynn owned him.

There has been so much awesome stuff about Gwynn's career coming out today. No pitcher ever struck him out ten times despite over 10k plate appearances. His career high in strikeouts was 40. He had just one career three strikeout game, and zero career four strikeout games. He had 100 more career doubles than strikeouts. His career high in strikeouts was 40. Simply incredible.