DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: MAY

RIPPA

Ryan was a freak of nature. I was at the game when that magnificent arm had finally had enough and snapped. You could hear the "pop" in the stands. No, he wasn't the greatest pitcher ever, probably not in the top ten, but he was always a joy to watch as you never knew what was going to happen. I don't know how many time I saw him pitch out of a bases loaded situation (that was mostly his fault) with one out by striking out the next two batters. A starting pitcher with the mind of a closer, that was Ryan.

Funny memory, in the early 1970s some buddies at the bar and I were going to go see the Angels beat up the hapless M's. We had to chose between Friday and Saturday night, so we went with who was starting for the Halos. We went Friday to see Frank Tananna as he was obviously a better pitcher than Ryan... (And for a couple of years this was true.)

Was reading an article about pitcher's arms and one of the commenters mentioned a June 14, 1974 game featuring Luis Tiant vs Nolan Ryan.  The game went 15 innings, with Ryan throwing the first 13 innings, while allowing 3 runs, striking out 19 and walking 10.  Supposedly he threw 254 pitches.  Tiant meanwhile pitched a 14-1/3 inning complete game, losing the game in the bottom of the 15th.  The game lasted just 4:02.  Ryan went out and threw 6 shutout innings against the Yankees four days later.

Here is the boxscore of said game

Ryan actually gave up 2 runs in the top of the 9th.

The fact that the Sox got more men on base via walk than hit is really sad though it makes me giggle so

I like how John throws out "probably belongs in the HOF"

And - while I am not necessarily disagreeing with you in regards to "best player on team" comment - are you using a blanket statement that it was always Mariano?

I think he was probably the best player on the team in that 98/99 period where he'd eclipsed Bernie and Tino but before the emergence of Soriano and Posada, or when Giambi and later Rodriguez came in. I don't remember them having any top-notch pitching in those years.

Best player in 99 probably but Bernie was better in 98.  Better year at the plate and a lot better defensively.  Other than 99, Bernie was pretty much always better.

But, yeah, Jeter is a HOF'er.- and yet I'm not convinced Bernie is.  Shows how important position is, eh?

Gotta admit, I'm impressed with Dubya's "Bring it on!" Challenge Fastball.

The guy he threw it at didn't want it and threw it back.  So Dubya threw it at him harder and he ducked it.  So Dubya got a whole basket of balls and kept throwing them at the guy until he didn't have enough strength left to keep dodging and just took them for awhile until George got tired and left.

And then the guy gathered up all the balls and started throwing them at other people.

It's called Baseball Democracy.

Sadly, when George got home and his family wanted to play some catch he realized he was all out of balls and told them to go make their own.

Jose Bautista has got a god damn cannon

It's not every day you see 9 - 3 on your scoring sheet. 

See that a couple times a year.  It's not so much that he has a great arm - which he does - but that he plays on turf, the ball was hit straight at him, and a slow runner didn't hustle out of the box.  I've seen Ichiro make the same play.  It's pretty embarrassing for the hitter.