DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA Playoffs - Round of 16

Dolfan in NYC

If Durant loses tonight, is he a choke artist?

He's the 2nd best player in the league with a top 10 player in Westbrook.

If Memphis knocks OKC again, how much blame does he get? Or does it all go to Brooks, Presti or Westbrook?

If Durant loses tonight, is he a choke artist?

He's the 2nd best player in the league with a top 10 player in Westbrook.

If Memphis knocks OKC again, how much blame does he get? Or does it all go to Brooks, Presti or Westbrook?

I wouldn't call him a choke artist, Tony Allen hasn't even give him enough to choke on.  If Memphis knocks OKC it will be because they were the better team.  The Grizzles should have been a much higher seed, they were just injured most of the year.  The way Memphis plays defense should really be the story.  Marc Gasol was defensive player of the year last year, and he only played 59 games this year.  They are really good, and they make it so hard for Durant to get a shot he can't get into a rhythm.  Memphis may ver well be the third best team in the playoffs, behind Miami and San Antonio.

Memphis is just a flat-out great team. They got bit by the injury bug bigtime to start the season but have been on an absolute tear. Also, Scott Brooks is the absolute worst. Look at what OKC does on offense compared to San Antonio, Dallas, Miami, and Portland. And hell, even the Wizards and Raptors. They have absolutely no secondary sets or movement. Once you get past the initial pick for KD or Russ or look for Ibaka, there's no movement whatsoever. Memphis is a great defensive team (Indiana had historic numbers but since that team hates each other's guts now...) and sniffs out everything they have going.

Seriously, once OKC's first play breaks down, it becomes KD and Russel Westbrook freelancing. They're both spectacular players. But Tony Allen's keeping KD from getting the ball and into his spots. And Russ is Russ -- he's going to play hero ball and results vary.

I really want to see an actual coach take that team next year. They have the best combination of players right now. KD's the best player in the world right now. He had a better season than LeBron freakin' James. Russ is the best second best player in the league. And Ibaka's really good, too. UGH. I hate watching OKC.

But, yeah -- even though Memphis lost pretty quickly to San Antonio last year, those games were still pretty tight for the most part. If the Grizz continue their hot streak, they might steal the title considering their size and defense.

Memphis is just a flat-out great team. They got bit by the injury bug bigtime to start the season but have been on an absolute tear. Also, Scott Brooks is the absolute worst. Look at what OKC does on offense compared to San Antonio, Dallas, Miami, and Portland. And hell, even the Wizards and Raptors. They have absolutely no secondary sets or movement. Once you get past the initial pick for KD or Russ or look for Ibaka, there's no movement whatsoever. Memphis is a great defensive team (Indiana had historic numbers but since that team hates each other's guts now...) and sniffs out everything they have going.

Seriously, once OKC's first play breaks down, it becomes KD and Russel Westbrook freelancing. They're both spectacular players. But Tony Allen's keeping KD from getting the ball and into his spots. And Russ is Russ -- he's going to play hero ball and results vary.

I really want to see an actual coach take that team next year. They have the best combination of players right now. KD's the best player in the world right now. He had a better season than LeBron freakin' James. Russ is the best second best player in the league. And Ibaka's really good, too. UGH. I hate watching OKC.

But, yeah -- even though Memphis lost pretty quickly to San Antonio last year, those games were still pretty tight for the most part. If the Grizz continue their hot streak, they might steal the title considering their size and defense.

There is no way KD is better than LeBron yet, he had a great year and he is a clear number 2 but he hasn't overtaken him by a long shot.  KD is going to win MVP and that's fine, but LeBron is still better than him.  LeBron doesn't really have games like the ones KD has been having this series.  LeBron doesn't put up the gaudy scoring numbers, but his ability to do every little thing puts him above everyone in the world for me.  Westbrook is my favorite player in the league, but you and him are the only people who would call him a top 2 player in the league.  He takes more horrible shots than anyone in the league, he is a career 30% 3-point shooter, and despite that he is the most confident player in the league.  I don't think I would rank Westbrook over Paul, Griffin, or Aldridge. 

Memphis won 50 games in a season where Gasol and Allen missed over 20 games, they are extremely good.

I'll survive.  :)  But regarding Davis?  I'm serious.  I think Durant is going to find himself in a spot similar to Kobe--when Duncan and Shaq took a step back and Kobe was ready to be crowned the best, he quickly had to share the throne with LeBron, who took it outright for himself in short order.  Durant will be the best on some point.  I just don't think he'll get to enjoy it for long.  What I saw of Davis this season is going to be the stuff of nightmares for the league really soon.

Hawks brought back the PAC MAN LOGO for this game on the giveaway shirts. They are clearly going all out for this one!

Love the announcers telling us an 8 seed hasn't won a series since 2012, as if 2 years is a notable length of time for a stat.

• Like 1