DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA Playoffs - Round of 16

Dolfan in NYC

Good news: I get to see at least one more Nets playoff game at Barclays. Bad news: it's game 6 vs Toronto and not game 3 vs Miami. Poor free throw shooting came back to haunt the Nets. Really can't see them winning game 5 after this. They blew it just like last year.

Couldn't the other NBA owners after this season just vote to contract the league by one team, and that team is the Clippers? Then they announce they're expanding the league by one team, based in Los Angeles, and award it to a new owner.

Not with the lawsuit Sterling would file. After reading a few columns and the like, I'm not sure the NBA is going to do much at all. . . .

Oh man, I'm watching some international feed of the TNT broadcast and Kevin Harlan and Reggie aren't always muted during the commercial breaks. Harlan is ripping the Rockets and just said emphatically "Harden looks HORRIBLE!"

Really enjoyable game. Harden is atrocious defensively.

One thing that could be done--though I don't see it happening--is to make the Clippers players free agents after the season.  Let them leave and force Sterling to try to put together another team.

Jeff Van Gundy said the same thing and I like this idea. I wouldn't mind if the Lakers added Blake, CP3 and Doc this summer. Not to mention a top 6-8 pick.

I don't see it happening either. I think most likely if Sterling isn't reprimanded by the league this summer, we might hear of guys asking to be traded. Doc's already mentioned he might not want to return next season.

I'm a firm believer in Moreyball. The most efficient shots in basketball are dunks, threes and free throws. The least efficient shots are long two pointers. However, this series throws all of that out of whack. The Rockets who attack the basket relentlessly are not getting fouls and not getting to the line as they are accustomed. Three pointers they've made all year aren't falling.The Blazers, a primarily jump shooting team, are getting to the line more and making the majority of their long contested jumpers. So, is the system failing, are the Blazers just incredibly lucky with their hot shooting, or are the refs just that in the tank for the Blazers?

I'm a firm believer in Moreyball. The most efficient shots in basketball are dunks, threes and free throws. The least efficient shots are long two pointers. However, this series throws all of that out of whack. The Rockets who attack the basket relentlessly are not getting fouls and not getting to the line as they are accustomed. Three pointers they've made all year aren't falling.The Blazers, a primarily jump shooting team, are getting to the line more and making the majority of their long contested jumpers. So, is the system failing, are the Blazers just incredibly lucky with their hot shooting, or are the refs just that in the tank for the Blazers?

Listen to the latest Lowe Post podcast on Grantland.  Blazers actually spend a lot of time on analytics and it's not as simple as it's made out to be.  Long two's can be efficient if you've got someone like LMA or Carmelo or Dirk because they're tough to double and open up a lot of options. 

The Rockets aren't playing the way they want which is part of their problem.  They're dumping the ball into Dwight for inefficent postups to keep him happy.  Harden is settling for doing his dancing and taking long twos.  They also can't defend worth a lick and Jeremy Lin can't dribble.