DVDVR Message Board

Ruffalo has gone public again and says he wants to be in a solo Hulk movie but notes that there are no plans to develop one.  

Maybe they wlll pull the trigger on the Leader tease from the first film if this ever gets done?

Glad I'm not the only one liking evil Ward. He is so much more interesting like this. I still want him to die ultimately, but its now because he is such a good villain. Also I'm absolutely loving Paton as Garrett. He was already fun before the Hydra reveal, but its been upped a few notches since then.

Planet Hulk/World War Hulk or bust.

Not ever going to happen and probably for the best.

Ruffalo has gone public again and says he wants to be in a solo Hulk movie but notes that there are no plans to develop one.  

Maybe they wlll pull the trigger on the Leader tease from the first film if this ever gets done?

Ruffalo ever express his feelings on the tv series by Del Toro talk?

One more stellar Hulk showing in Age of Ultron and there will be an argument for production of a Ruffalo led Hulk movie.  Tim Blake Nelson still maintains that he'd love to reprise his role as Samuel Sterns / The Leader.

Personally, I think the Ang Lee Hulk movie is better than it's given credit for.  I'd watch it again over most super hero movies of recent years.

That said, it's not a great movie and it's definitely not the sort of crowd pleaser they were aiming for.  I always wonder what everyone involved was thinking when they went in that direction for a Marvel super hero movie - and that includes hiring Lee in the first place.

Personally, I think the Ang Lee Hulk movie is better than it's given credit for.  I'd watch it again over most super hero movies of recent years.

That said, it's not a great movie and it's definitely not the sort of crowd pleaser they were aiming for.  I always wonder what everyone involved was thinking when they went in that direction for a Marvel super hero movie - and that includes hiring Lee in the first place.

I absolutely agree.  It was bold and inventive and tried to do things.  Some stuff failed (god the CGI on Hulk is terrible, and the end is confusing) but the ambition of the movie is so far above almost every other superhero movie.  I never understood all the hatred it gets.

The Incredible Hulk, on the other hand, is still the worst of the MCU films.

I saw Iron Man 3 the other day. I thought it was a good character driven movie for Tony Stark and dealt with the fall out from Avengers without dwelling on it. 

Killion was a weak villain and I am glad Mandarin did not end up being a Osama Bin Laden knock off. 

I saw Cap 2 in theaters and had some issues with it. The biggest one being it never felt like Cap's movie and the title villain was hardly in it. 

My heart sank when they showed Batroc and he was another generic terrorist. Crossbones ended up being a rogue Shield agent and is never in costume. 

Falcon ended up being another military guy in black ops gear and using a gun. The Shield guys are in suits and swat armor and Marvel seems determined to drain every ounce of fun from these movies. Which goes back to Iron Man 3 and AIM just being some guys, no attempt is made to give them any sort of personality.

Highlight of Cap 2 was the Garry Shandling heel turn. 

All that said, if they had advertised it right, it is a good movie. 

People keep talking about that, and my apologies but it makes me uncomfortable.  The guy is 64 years old.  Plus, it's not like Shandling was this big heart throb back in the day.  People's bodies and their faces change when they get older.  Not everyone can look like Harrison Ford at 64.

Maybe he had some bad plastic surgery though, dunno.

Other than Fury's tombstone, my biggest mark out moment in Cap 2 was Shandling's heel turn. Unless somebody has an interview with Feige that says otherwise, I have to believe he was just a one-off in IM2 and in grand comic book tradition the writers of Cap 2 picked up a loose thread somebody else tossed out there without any grand plan and ran with it. 

• Like 1

The Sitwell/Shandling thing actually got spoiled for me about a year ago.  The report of the set pics of those two revealed that they were saying "Hail Hydra" to each other.  Beforehand when I saw the set pics of Black Widow kicking Sitwell, I never got the impression they were supposed to be on top of a building and they were interrogating him.  I just thought it was Black Widow kicking Sitwell in a moment of rebellious agent striking superior officer to look badass.  

I'm scared his love for Skye is gonna turn him babyface again, which would be terrible.

I agree it would be terrible, but how do you turn him babyface after he shot Hand in cold blood?  (not to mention other bad stuff)  

Re: The Hulk -- I'd like to see a solo film, but agree that it will be a tough sell.  I think Planet/WW Hulk are best left to animation, though.  One question: if they did Planet Hulk, who would be the surprise extra Marvel character that appears?  They don't have the rights to the guy in the comic (trying to not spoil here), and the guy in the animated version would make no sense to most people.  The only guy I can think of that's established in the MCU that would work (at least pre-GotG) is Heimdall, which would be kinda cool.  But would you make it a surprise that Idris Elba is in the movie or would you spoil that part in the trailers?

I also agree that Ang Lee's Hulk does some things quite well, even though it does other things quite badly.  I never got the hate for The Incredible Hulk.  I don't love it, but I think it's perfectly fine.  

Re: Cap 2 -- I thought the Falcon's performance was the only acting that really made a mark.  Nobody was bad, but Falcon was quite good.  And I do think they could have had him wearing a red and white t-shirt when he first put on the wings.  I'm mostly okay with the more "realistic" nature of the MCU, but it doesn't have to be all black/grey all the time.

And I was a wee bit disappointed that GSP got little or no offense on Cap.

I agree it would be terrible, but how do you turn him babyface after he shot Hand in cold blood?  (not to mention other bad stuff)

Make it so that Garrett turned him by suppressing his soul using technobabble gadgetry so that he lacked a conscience, then have Skye and Fitz/Simmons figure out a way to restore him.

I'm scared his love for Skye is gonna turn him babyface again, which would be terrible.

I agree it would be terrible, but how do you turn him babyface after he shot Hand in cold blood? (not to mention other bad stuff)

Life Model Decoy/deep cover op.

I think you could do the "concept" of Planet Hulk pretty easily... WWH would be the tricky one, while staying loyal to the book.

For Planet Hulk, rather than having Hulk disposed of by the Marvel Illuminati, you can either go the route of having Thanos do it (to get him out of the way), or maybe you have Hulk destroy something important, and Stark dispatches of him on his own. At that point you can pretty much follow Planet Hulk.

Then, depending on how you went with getting rid of Hulk in the first place, you can have Hulk return for the hot tag in Avengers 3 to battle Thanos, or you have Hulk's return & subsequent revenge filled rampage position him as the bad guy for Avengers 3.

Bruce Banner = Larry Talbot; write a decent werewolf movie, sub in the Hulk.

Several things the IH film did great, I thought:

1. His Hulk-out on that bridge, and how the subsequent battle was done. Which included ...

2. Hulk kicking the shit out of Blonsky. What if he did the Loki Bash to him? B/c he could have. Dude's a fucking monster.

3. Norton's near-sex scene with that inner tube lipped monster, where his heart monitor starts going crazy. It lends that air of pathos to Banner. He can't even have nice moments - like bonin' his lady - without the potential for tragedy.

4. Tim Roth was great. If they could do the anti-Hulk, human-to-monster and back, I'd be down with Abomination coming back. Avengers 3: Under Siege?

Tim Roth was great.

The movie was just so flat and dull to me.  I vastly prefered Lee's movie over all (although Eric Bana was a...  lets say "not inspired" choice for Bruce.)