DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: APRIL

Dolfan in NYC

Well, Joe Nathan got the first blown save out off the way early. Ready for the postseason, clearly. Ian Kinsler bailed him out in the tenth.

Max is pitching for a contract again, though, with eight shutout innings.

Thinks are so bad for Mets fan now that they are doing Daniel Bryan chants and YES YES YES chants at the end of this game.  For the 5000 people that are still there of course :lol:

There are that many? Why?

I was watching MLB Tonight on the MLB Network last night to get some scores and shit, and I have a question for y'all. I mean, everybody knows that Harold Reynolds is a frickin' putz and all, but has Eric Byrnes always been terrible as an analyst? I'm usually good at tuning people out if they're being schmucks, but I had to mute the tv between the two of them. Jesus.

Yes, Byrnes is totally bro.  Sadly, he is still better than Mitch Williams and Billy Ripken.  And while Harold is an idiot, of course, there is a special charm he has when really in over his head.

Jesus fucking Christ. Over two games the Cubs are 1-27 with RISP. ONE. FOR. TWENTY-SEVEN. It's like last season never ended. And I like Ricky Renteria as our manager, but for fucks sake, it's three managers now that trot Starlin Castro out in the three hole and he is a terrible hitter at that spot in the lineup. He's best as a leadoff or even hitting second, but his worst spot is batting third. So just bat him second because Emilio Bonifacio is owning the leadoff spot. He'll cool down at some point, but for now, just make the adjustment and see what happens.

It's only two games, I'm not super concerned about anything with the Cubs so far. Plus, I'm mainly looking at this season as a chance for guys like Rizzo, Castro, and Castillo to keep improving while we ship out dudes like Barney and Schierholz for more talent.

Castro got double switched out of the lineup last night so Barney's glove could get in there.

It's not definitive by any stretch of the imagination, but that's a nice black mark on his future in Chicago IMO.

Also, the Cubs #5 starter is 0-2 after two games. Wins and losses are garbage, but that's hilarious.

I laughed at that too. Part of the problem with Castro is he was hurt throughout almost all of spring training, then he had 1 or 2 starts, and then immediately gets plugged in as a number three hitter. He's just lost. I don't think their game gets played today, but at least Renteria was going to bat him second today. It's not just Castro though, but Rizzo and Olt both look lost, after Olt looked like he was back to being a good hitter.

Help us Javy Baez, you're our only hope.

Something else I noticed from yesterday - the amount of blown saves by Proven Closers was staggering. Nathan, Perkins, Grilli, Veras, Johnson, Papelbon, very nearly Hawkins...good lord. Bloodbath for fantasy owners.

Baez is still a ways away, if only for Super 2 reasons. And jeez, losing in 16 might be indicative of how long a year it will be.

On the bright side, Bonifacio helped me place for $ for the first time in an MLB DraftKings contest.

Good for Buehrle. I'm always respected him even when he played for the White Sox.

First Place Toronto Blue Jays. Need to point that out now, in case it doesn't happen again. Great pitching performance by Mark Buerhle last night in Tampa.

We should be given a league mulligan for all the David Price games because I think his career record against Toronto is roughly 457-3.

Ya know, I thought you were being sarcastic, but....

14-2, 2.45 ERA with 108 strikeouts and 28 walks in 124 2/3 innings. My god.

I'm shocked that they have beaten him twice.

xgmjnm.png

Yeah, this is Junior Lake for the first inning of today's game. He changed into the correct top later but this may be the most Cubs thing that has ever happened. At least they actually won today.

Dude, this doesn't even crack the list. Dempster fucking up his toe coming out of the dugout to celebrate a win ranks higher as far as stupid Cubs things go.

AND A WIN! CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN!

• Like 1

First Place Toronto Blue Jays. Need to point that out now, in case it doesn't happen again. Great pitching performance by Mark Buerhle last night in Tampa.

Buerhle when he's on his game is awesome. I first started paying attention to the guy when he was with the Sox and absolutely shut down the Mariners (and that was when the Mariners were, ya know, actually good n' stuff)

Buerhle when he's on his game is awesome. I first started paying attention to the guy when he was with the Sox and absolutely shut down the Mariners (and that was when the Mariners were, ya know, actually good n' stuff)

Which means Buerhle was just 24 or so at the time...

Which means Buerhle was just 24 or so at the time...

Might have been his rookie year as I know I hadn't paid any attention to the guy before, but he struck out a whole buncha guys and just dominated the team.