DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

MLW had some ok matches, but I don't recall there being any particularly great ones.  Parka vs. Sabu was pretty entertaining, though, come to think of it.

I'll have to go back and watch that one.

Last night I was watching the Corino-Funk barbed-wire match. It had all the elements that you could ask for- Corino being a dick, Funk being batshit crazy, hot crowd, both guys donating to the American Red Cross. Next I'll be checking out the War Games as I never got to see it.

This could just as easily go in what-if. If WCW hadn't bungled back-to-back Starrcades how much money was there to be made in a Goldberg/crow Sting main event at Starrcade '98 as WCW'S version of the WM VI Warrior/Hogan scrap? Now while it would've been rad to see Sting carry the title for a year while Goldberg's undefeated streak puffed up exponentially I'm imagining that shit went down pretty much the same. Basically Hogan has the title back in time to lose it to Goldberg on the very same July Nitro in Atlanta.

Now obviously for this to mean anything Nick Patrick wouldn't have carried out his slow FAST count. So I really don't know how you transition the title back to Hogan because honestly there still wasn't a better WCW moment than Goldberg defeating Hogan clean as a sheet like Sting should have seven months earlier at Starrcade.

Hall should've had a title reign at some point so maybe Hogan gets the belt back in some triple threat match. Furthermore DDP wins the belt off Hall and Hogan wins it back off him.

Who knows? All I know is anything would've been better than most of the shit we got after Starrcade '97&'98.

This could just as easily go in what-if. If WCW hadn't bungled back-to-back Starrcades how much money was there to be made in a Goldberg/crow Sting main event at Starrcade '98 as WCW'S version of the WM VI Warrior/Hogan scrap? Now while it would've been rad to see Sting carry the title for a year while Goldberg's undefeated streak puffed up exponentially I'm imagining that shit went down pretty much the same. Basically Hogan has the title back in time to lose it to Goldberg on the very same July Nitro in Atlanta.

Now obviously for this to mean anything Nick Patrick wouldn't have carried out his slow FAST count. So I really don't know how you transition the title back to Hogan because honestly there still wasn't a better WCW moment than Goldberg defeating Hogan clean as a sheet like Sting should have seven months earlier at Starrcade.

Hall should've had a title reign at some point so maybe Hogan gets the belt back in some triple threat match. Furthermore DDP wins the belt off Hall and Hogan wins it back off him.

Who knows? All I know is anything would've been better than most of the shit we got after Starrcade '97&'98.

makes sense to me.

Sting wins the belt (clean) at Starrcade '97. Hall won a #1 contendership at WW3, so he ends up winning the belt (with heavy interference from the nWo) when they fight. Sting feuds with whoever headed up the assault that cost him the belt.

DDP was overdue for a top run, so a quick Hall-DDP program makes complete sense. botched nWo interference leads to "cracks in the foundation of the nWo" and whatever other catchphrases Tony used to love. DDP, the people's champ, now is the real champ and holds it a month or two. Hogan wins it back, again due to nWo interference. either the nWo showing signs of solidarity or Hogan's new splinter faction taking charge.

Hogan-Goldberg happens as it does in this reality.

Goldberg-Sting could've done good numbers. although i think i'd keep the strap on Goldberg and get another big buyrate out of the streak ending deal. no tazer this time tho.

If you're really optimistic, you could say that he might've focused himself towards bettering his career if he finally had a world title, rather than getting fucked up, run over and keying cars. But that's hard to say, I haven't really seen too many Hall shoots, so I don't know if belts really mattered to him like they do to others.

Would you trust early 98 Scott Hall with the World Title?

I wouldn't trust early 98 Scott Hall with a World Almanac.

In all seriousness, in an nWo that had Nash/Hogan/Savage (was the Giant still around?) Hall would never have found a place in the world title picture.

• Like 2

makes sense to me.

Sting wins the belt (clean) at Starrcade '97. Hall won a #1 contendership at WW3, so he ends up winning the belt (with heavy interference from the nWo) when they fight. Sting feuds with whoever headed up the assault that cost him the belt.

DDP was overdue for a top run, so a quick Hall-DDP program makes complete sense. botched nWo interference leads to "cracks in the foundation of the nWo" and whatever other catchphrases Tony used to love. DDP, the people's champ, now is the real champ and holds it a month or two. Hogan wins it back, again due to nWo interference. either the nWo showing signs of solidarity or Hogan's new splinter faction taking charge.

Goldberg-Sting could've done good numbers. although i think i'd keep the strap on Goldberg and get another big buyrate out of the streak ending deal. no tazer this time tho.

Sting going into a match with Goldberg with a year long reign would've enhanced the draw of the match. A year long reign vs. the streak? One big thing is going to end.

Just have Sting continue to brood in the rafters and come down and attack as needed. Now that he's the champion, he's the Dark Knight of WCW. No need to talk or explain, just swoop down, point the bat and strike. 

• Like 1

makes sense to me.

Sting going into a match with Goldberg with a year long reign would've enhanced the draw of the match. A year long reign vs. the streak? One big thing is going to end.

Just have Sting continue to brood in the rafters and come down and attack as needed. Now that he's the champion, he's the Dark Knight of WCW. No need to talk or explain, just swoop down, point the bat and strike. 

I was always of the opinion that the Crow gimmick should have died at Starrcade. Just film a vague vigenette about him "forgiving" WCW, then have him come out in a crowish custom, with the surfer Sting outfit underneath. Then again, I always like Surfer Sting, and HATED Crow Sting. One of the problems(?) was the color scheme of black vs black on both Hogan and Sting.

• Like 2

In 1990,  I can understand not wanting to have Luger be pinned by Flair at the Wrestle War of Capital Combat PPVs, but was there any reason for protecting JYD at Clash Of The Champions XI?  Even having Flair get the screwjob victory would have made him look a little better going into the Great American Bash against Sting (plus leaving out the beating he took from Sting as the show was going off air).

Herd really wanted to change Flair's gimmick to Spartacus/a gladiator?  I always assumed it was a codename, like "Excalibur" for Jericho's debut.

Was Farooq's initial gimmick a rib on Herd?

Herd really wanted to change Flair's gimmick to Spartacus/a gladiator?  I always assumed it was a codename, like "Excalibur" for Jericho's debut.

Was Farooq's initial gimmick a rib on Herd?

I don't think it was, I think it was just a bad idea by WWF bookers in 1996.

In 1990,  I can understand not wanting to have Luger be pinned by Flair at the Wrestle War of Capital Combat PPVs, but was there any reason for protecting JYD at Clash Of The Champions XI?  Even having Flair get the screwjob victory would have made him look a little better going into the Great American Bash against Sting (plus leaving out the beating he took from Sting as the show was going off air).

Because they thought it was 1980 and not 1990.  To make matters worse, Dog was pinning Flair in non-title matches all over the house shows at that time too (which made Luger look like an even bigger loser.)

• 2 weeks later...