DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

yeah, Maven's character forever being "hey it's that guy from Tough Enough" both made and killed his career in WWE. As i type this, i can't think of his finishing move. the only angle i remember is him eliminating Taker from the Rumble one year (and then getting destroyed because of it). 

yeah, Maven's character forever being "hey it's that guy from Tough Enough" both made and killed his career in WWE. As i type this, i can't think of his finishing move. the only angle i remember is him eliminating Taker from the Rumble one year (and then getting destroyed because of it). 

He used some kind of jumping bulldog off the 2nd rope. The only thing I remember about Maven other than the Taker stuff was a busted open Snitsky absolutely destroying him with a chairshot at Survivor Series 05.

I'm watching 95 ECW.

The fuck Sabu chants from those shit stains are pissing me off more than they should. I get not booking Sabu again after he missed the arena show. 

But maybe remember he broke his neck working for you and did not miss any dates. 

I will always remember Maven for turning down Evolution so he could become Simon Dean's flunky two months later.

They kind of hint around at the Invasion being a disaster, without saying it. And put 100% blame for it not working on not having the guys with guaranteed contacts.

I maintain if they hadn't had WWF guys jump over, and if they'd booked DDP and Booker as main event players and straight up killers, it could have worked. Basically the way Bischoff booked Hall and Nash in '96.

They kind of hint around at the Invasion being a disaster, without saying it. And put 100% blame for it not working on not having the guys with guaranteed contacts.

I maintain if they hadn't had WWF guys jump over, and if they'd booked DDP and Booker as main event players and straight up killers, it could have worked. Basically the way Bischoff booked Hall and Nash in '96.

the DDP booking has to be the best example of how they screwed the whole angle up. DDP was one of the most over guys around in '97-'98 and stayed over thru the end of WCW. so what does WWF do? make him a stalker that gets beat down by Undertaker and his wife. 

i mean, really, "People's Champ" vs "People's Champ" writes itself. Diamond Cutter vs Stone Cold Stunner would be money. Page could pull good matches out of just about anybody. but when you just have him take a beating every show, people aren't going to care. duh.

and Booker T being a Rocky ripoff didn't do anybody any good either. 

on this note, i'd be curious at seeing who (if anybody) the Alliance era elevated. is the only answer here RVD? god, that's depressing.

the DDP booking has to be the best example of how they screwed the whole angle up. DDP was one of the most over guys around in '97-'98 and stayed over thru the end of WCW. so what does WWF do? make him a stalker that gets beat down by Undertaker and his wife. 

i mean, really, "People's Champ" vs "People's Champ" writes itself. Diamond Cutter vs Stone Cold Stunner would be money. Page could pull good matches out of just about anybody. but when you just have him take a beating every show, people aren't going to care. duh.

and Booker T being a Rocky ripoff didn't do anybody any good either. 

on this note, i'd be curious at seeing who (if anybody) the Alliance era elevated. is the only answer here RVD? god, that's depressing.

No the best example of the angle being completely screwed up was when three weeks into the fucking invasion, everyone from the Alliance lost matches on Raw all night long culminating in the Alliance getting their asses handed to them. They weren't even a month in before they buried WCW. By the time DDP came around, there was no point. It was just more of Vince pissing all over WCW.

History will write that the WWE turned itself around in late 1997 and early 1998, but it was finding some seriously fun stuff much earlier. I'm watching one of the most recently updated early 1996 RAWs, and you have SCSA busting out a giant swing, you have the proto-Attitude stuff with DBS and Cornette accusing Shawn of being a fornicator, you have the NEW ROCKERS~! which is my favorite thing Al Snow ever did. The roster is crazy thin but they're starting to figure things out here.

• Like 1

Is this Michael Hayes doing the theme song to In Your House 2 in Nashville? Cause it is fucking God awful. WWF has historically been pretty on point with music, but this is making me want to stab my own ears.

I could've also done without his maniacal yelling outside Jarrett and Roadie's locker room. 8 year old me was hyped, but 27 year old me just needed to get a volume adjustment on the laptop

Is this Michael Hayes doing the theme song to In Your House 2 in Nashville? Cause it is fucking God awful. WWF has historically been pretty on point with music, but this is making me want to stab my own ears.

I could've also done without his maniacal yelling outside Jarrett and Roadie's locker room. 8 year old me was hyped, but 27 year old me just needed to get a volume adjustment on the laptop

When I re-watched it on the Network, 39-year old me died laughing.

HHH vs. Steve Austin (Survivor Series 2000)

For a couple months, they were teasing a full-on HHH face turn in the fall of 2000, and his tweener work in September and October was pretty enjoyable (particularly the No Mercy match against Benoit). I guess since Rikishi being the driver didn't set the world on fire, though, they panicked and decided to do a double swerve with HHH being the "real" mastermind behind running Austin over. HHH was hastily rehashed as a heel with a generic remix of his awesome "My Time" theme, and Austin was not at peak overness here either (though by normal standards, he was still quite over). The match ended up being an ok brawl, but it never really hit top gear. It dragged for quite a while and they were building the match around the idea that it couldn't end up backstage because the Radicals would attack Austin. For some reason, they were no threat to hit the ring in this No DQ match. So, cue a couple tedious brawl sequences up the aisle with Austin selling very little for HHH, and a couple more inspired and even sequences around the ring with a signature HHH main event blade job. Eventually, HHH lures Austin backstage and the Radicals attack. With the help of the agents, Austin breaks away and Benoit stooges around trying to find him so he could sucker Austin into position to get run over by HHH. Benoit looks like a total goof here, and ultimately disappears while Austin sneaks back in forklift and sticks it into HHH's car. The show goes off the air with a hilariously fake sequence where Austin elevates the car a good 20 feet while HHH begs him off with his D-movie acting skills. Austin drops the car (complete with HHH screaming "Holy shiiiiiiiit" all the way down) in such a way the entire top of the car is crushed in and no one would survive.

These two would go on to have an awesome feud in February 2001 capped off by a legit MOTDC at No Way Out, but that was basically after they hit the reset button on this mess. Skip the match, but watch the end if you like wrestlecrap.

• Like 1

I found myself watching the first season of Tough Enough in pretty much one afternoon. I don't know if it ever was broadcast in the UK but I had zero interest in ever watching it until I got the network and now I'm kinda hooked. Need more.

I loved that HHH/Austin feud at the end of 2000/early 2001. I thought they did a remarkable job at bringing THE HATE and made it seem genuine. Granted, Austin dropping HHH's car at Survivor Series was beyond silly, but the feud got really good really fast.