DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Yeah I watched all of Tough Enough season one this weekend.  When it first aired I remember being all in on Josh and Taylor and was super pissed when they didn't win.  I also remembering thinking that Greg would have won it all if his back wasn't screwed up.  

Triple H came off like a dick, Angle like a clueless egomaniac and Foley like the world's biggest Mick Foley fan.  Stephanie actually seemed very nice and genuine during her appearances on the show. Matt Hardy came off pretty well too.

Best part of the show: Al Snow Jr.

Worst part of the show:  Cutting Darryl too soon.  You know the MTV people wanted that petulant manchild around until the finals.

My only real memories of Tough Enough season one are Darryl auctioning a meeting or phone call with himself on eBay and everyone trolling and putting in preposterous, bullshit bids and having a major crush on Taylor. I couldn't believe she didn't win.

Jumping Bomb Angels vs. The Glamor Girls from Royal Rumble '88 is awesome.

AJW-style joshi meets blocky, bad ass. non-diva veteran lady wrestlers who could beat any one of us in a fist fight.

It's 2-out-of-3 falls.

Like totally fun and awesome.

Worst part of the show:  Cutting Darryl too soon.  You know the MTV people wanted that petulant manchild around until the finals.

I would like to think that if Darryl was on the last show with Austin or maybe the new one he would either make it to the finals or get eliminated early and still have a WWE contract.  

I still think the best Darryl moment is after the Triple H appearance where everyone is just dumbstruck by his promo and there is the big goof giving the girl with a hurt neck a headlock.  Plus he was the only one who didn't sweat Triple H one bit   :lol:

Also funny how much shit Taz gave Josh Matthews on the show given how they are friends now

To be fair to Vince with the Invasion, most of the WCW dudes they had completely sucked. Who else did they bring in who was any good beyond Booker T and DDP? DDP wasn't handled well at all but, beyond that, who was brought in from WCW that had any sort of legitimacy as a top level guy? None of the guys who were true stars -- Flair, nWo, Sting, even Scott Steiner -- were in the initial WCW push.

What, The Rock is supposed to put over Shane Helms? Lance Storm was a perfectly decent hand but he's not someone to give a main event PPV match too. Mike Awesome was worthless when he wasn't tossing Masato Tanaka on his vertebrae in WCW -- and, to boot, was a comedy guy in WCW, so anyone even familiar with him who was watching Raw thought he was a total joke. None of these guys should have gone over anyone except whoever the mid-card acts at the time were.

It's not like WCW and WWE merged when WCW was at its hottest period. The final stretch of WCW was mostly unwatchable garbage. Part of the WCW Invasion failure -- I'd venture to say more of it than anything else -- was because the final stretch run of WCW was trash and they could only bring in mid-card dudes (save for Booker and DDP).

And it's not like having WWE never pushed WCW mid-card acts out of jealousy. Jericho and Eddy and Benoit weren't top players in WCW, hence they jumped ship as soon as they could. All three went on to be World Champions and main event PPVs.  Hell, the Radicalz were in one of the hottest main events in Raw history -- and went over -- in their second week in WWE.

"Their guys shouldn't be put over our guys," makes sense if it was reread as "Their guys now should be put over our guys now."

I'm going through '97, why is Ahmed Johnson so over? He's really sloppy and can't speak a damn word.

Because he was booked strongly, looked like a bad ass, and did power moves that looked cool. In a way, his constant injuries actually helped because it prevented him from getting overexposed.

I'm going through '97, why is Ahmed Johnson so over? He's really sloppy and can't speak a damn word.

Because he was booked strongly, looked like a bad ass, and did power moves that looked cool. In a way, his constant injuries actually helped because it prevented him from getting overexposed.

He looked like a fatass with his knickers up his arsehole and his power moves looked sloppy, Pearl River Plunge aside.

What happened to the rivalries series? Done after just five episodes, one of those a waste on the awful HBK/HHH feud?

There doesn't appear to be a set schedule. Looks like they're just making them and putting them on the Network as they go. The Edge/Christian vs The Hardys one coincided with Edge and Christian's appearance as guest GMs.

No idea what they do for the next one. Sting vs Ric Flair seems perfect. Sting vs Vader seems perfect.

God, having Sting on a Legends contract opens up so many doors.

He looked like a fatass with his knickers up his arsehole and his power moves looked sloppy, Pearl River Plunge aside.

Don't forget the big dives over-the-top rope. The guy had an intensity about him. When that music hit you knew someone was in for an ass whopping and that match itself wasn't going to be pretty or cute. Ahmed was a near 300 pound nut case and people ate that shit up. Its funny looking back but WWE had 3 crazy powerful characters running around at the time and they were all massively over and believable (Warrior, Side, and Ahmed).

• Like 1

To be fair to Vince with the Invasion, most of the WCW dudes they had completely sucked. Who else did they bring in who was any good beyond Booker T and DDP? DDP wasn't handled well at all but, beyond that, who was brought in from WCW that had any sort of legitimacy as a top level guy? None of the guys who were true stars -- Flair, nWo, Sting, even Scott Steiner -- were in the initial WCW push.

What, The Rock is supposed to put over Shane Helms? Lance Storm was a perfectly decent hand but he's not someone to give a main event PPV match too. Mike Awesome was worthless when he wasn't tossing Masato Tanaka on his vertebrae in WCW -- and, to boot, was a comedy guy in WCW, so anyone even familiar with him who was watching Raw thought he was a total joke. None of these guys should have gone over anyone except whoever the mid-card acts at the time were.

It's not like WCW and WWE merged when WCW was at its hottest period. The final stretch of WCW was mostly unwatchable garbage. Part of the WCW Invasion failure -- I'd venture to say more of it than anything else -- was because the final stretch run of WCW was trash and they could only bring in mid-card dudes (save for Booker and DDP).

And it's not like having WWE never pushed WCW mid-card acts out of jealousy. Jericho and Eddy and Benoit weren't top players in WCW, hence they jumped ship as soon as they could. All three went on to be World Champions and main event PPVs.  Hell, the Radicalz were in one of the hottest main events in Raw history -- and went over -- in their second week in WWE.

"Their guys shouldn't be put over our guys," makes sense if it was reread as "Their guys now should be put over our guys now."

With a fraction of the cash they wasted on that football league, they could have gotten Steiner or Sting. Also you gloss over wasting DDP and Booker like that was not a serious issue.

The final three months of WCW TV was perfectly fine, they were still digging themselves out of the hole Russo put them in. They had various young stars with potential. 

Mike Awesome was a very good performer who could always keep himself over. Don't job him out and you have a credible upper midcarder. 

Kanyon was a great performer and was wasted his entire time in WWE. He could have been used far better in the Invasion and beyond. 

Of course WWE was willing to push Jericho, Benoit and Eddy. They were rescuing them from the evil WCW who wasted them. That is different than pushing a WCW main eventer and admitting WCW did something right. 

I don't necessarily blame WWE for botching the Invasion. They were power drunk from winning and did not know what to do next. It was probably unsalvageable from the moment they made Shane McMahon the owner of WCW.

Nobody gave half a flying shit about sloppy when they were kids or teenagers. I barely do now.

Anyway, easy to see why Ahmed was over: you can root for Shawn Michaels and feel like you're cheering for a failing metal singer  - in 1996! - who strips on the side, or you can root for Ahmed: Fat Killing Machine. I dug him.

It was after Summerslam when they started screwing him over.

Austin joining the Alliance really hurt them all when beyond RVD and Tazz, they became Austin's flunkies.

Austin joining the alliance hurt Tazz most out of all the jobbers. He was Austin's literal whipping boy.

So I went back and have been watching all the Royal Rumbles in preparation for Sunday, because,you know, the Rumble is never not awesome. One thing that really stuck out to me was how much they glossed over Flair in 92 winning the belt. He just slides out of the ring and he and Hennig just kinda disappear to the back. Hogan and Sid facing off is given a ton more attention. I wish time travel was possible just so I could explain to 11 year old me why Hogan was such a shithead.