DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

It is really hard to watch any 2010 and early 2011 WWE given how awful the commentary was.  This was when Michael Cole was in his heel gimmick,  Matt Striker at his making shit up worse, and Jerry Lawler just desperately trying to care given how much he hates working with both of them at the time.

It really is amazing to listen to Lawler and Striker. Striker would make some point about how since both he and Lawler have been in the ring, they  could both relate to something going on (adrenaline helping you get through pain, how move X hurts so much, etc) and Lawler would either reply in a tone where you can almost hear him thinking, "I've been in wrestling for 40 years and you used sick days from your teaching job to wrestle, we have nothing in common" or he would just flat out ignore him.

• Like 1

Heel Cole actually makes it tough at times to remember which wrestlers were heel or face at the time. His reaction to that nerd Daniel Bryan winning MITB cracks me up.

I laughed at his reaction when Bryan cashed in and won the title. He gets in Cole's face with it and Cole just looks so repulsed and horrified.

• Like 1

So I missed out on WWE and wrestling in general from 2009 to the end of 2012. Watching some of these PPVs from then to catch up, I just finally saw all of Wrestlemania 26 in its poorly thought out glory, what is worth watching after that? I'll probably watch the Rumble, Mania and MitB from every year.

I also liked Cena vs Angle vs Big Show from No Way Out 2004, I'd avoid their mediocre Survivor Series 2005 match we special guest referee Davari.

MITB 2011 is an excellent show with arguably a ***** main event and the best MITB Ladder match ever imo (the Smackdown one).

I gave John Cena vs. CM Punk from the Money in the Bank 2011 PPV *****. I also agree with you that the Smackdown Money in the Bank Ladder match is the best one ever. I've said previously here that I very rarely buy WWE PPV's on DVD. This was one of them with SummerSlam 2013.

Cena/Punk is a historically good match. It's either that or Shield/Wyatts from EC as my MOTD.

This would make for a great topic. I've been thinking about it lately. I like your two. I'd also throw in The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels from WrestleMania XXVI and Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena from SummerSlam 2013.

I'd say Cena's top five are vs Punk MitB '11, vs Umaga RR '07, vs Edge Backlash '09, vs HBK on RAW in London '07, and vs Lesnar at ER '12. Any order is fine. I also really enjoyed his early stuff vs Taker at Vengeance 2003 (underrated show) and vs Lesnar at Backlash 2003,

No Cena vs. Bryan from SummerSlam 2013? I have four of your top five John Cena matches, I'd replace the one with Edge at Backlash 2009 for the aforementioned Cena vs. Bryan match. I'm also fond of the RAW ELimination Chamber match John Cena's in from No Way Out 2009. Cena isn't it long but its big. I still have it as the best Elimination Chamber match. Great avatar BTW.

• Like 1

I'd say Cena's top five are vs Punk MitB '11, vs Umaga RR '07, vs Edge Backlash '09, vs HBK on RAW in London '07, and vs Lesnar at ER '12. Any order is fine. I also really enjoyed his early stuff vs Taker at Vengeance 2003 (underrated show) and vs Lesnar at Backlash 2003,

I still think all the big matches Cena and Punk had post-MITB with each other are better than the MITB match. Out the Edge matches I still find the TLC match from 06 to be the best.

Punk-Cena from the post EC 2013 RAW was excellent. Pulling out a piledriver puts it over the top. Didn't like their SummerSlam 2011 match. Night of Champions 2012 was really good, even with the ending. Need to see the RAW 1000 match.

What is the definitive Evolution match? Not necessarily a 6-man, but that would help.

My son and I are watching old stuff to get hyped for Payback. We watched the Shield debut match at TLC against Ryback / Team Hell No (which was great except for Rollins's sick bump - it made him look dumb, which is against his character nowadays; he could've just missed a dive).

Best I came up with was the Goldberg Elimination Chamber at Summerslam 2003(?), but no Batista. Hmm.

What is the definitive Evolution match? Not necessarily a 6-man, but that would help.

My son and I are watching old stuff to get hyped for Payback. We watched the Shield debut match at TLC against Ryback / Team Hell No (which was great except for Rollins's sick bump - it made him look dumb, which is against his character nowadays; he could've just missed a dive).

Best I came up with was the Goldberg Elimination Chamber at Summerslam 2003(?), but no Batista. Hmm.

Recommended Evolution viewing... 

They really had some GREAT six and eight man tags that most people don't give enough love to. Granted you have to be comfortable watching matches with "He who shall not be named" but if you are, they are some awesome stuff to watch.

Triple H/Randy Orton/Batista/Ric Flair vs. Shelton Benjamin/Chris Benoit/Mick Foley/Shawn Michaels (RAW 4/12/04)

Triple H, Randy Orton, and Batista vs. Shelton Benjamin, Tajiri, and Edge (RAW 5/3/04)

Ric Flair/Batista/Randy Orton vs. Chris Benoit/Edge/Chris Jericho (Elimination match) (RAW 6/14/04)****+ - this one goes over 30 minutes and is a HELL of a match. The best match with Evolution as a team IMO, and it doesn't even feature Triple H!

Chris Benoit/Edge/Chris Jericho vs. Randy Orton/Ric Flair/Batista (RAW 8/2/04)****+ - Goes 25 min and is just non stop action. Super fun.
  • Like 1

Evolution really was on fire in-ring wise back in 2004. Unfortunately, most of the group matches occurred on Raws which are not yet up on The Network.

As far as PPV's, the aforementioned Evolution vs. Rock and Sock match from Mania XX was surprisingly great, although HHH wasn't in the match.

I like that Art Donovan is really into Headshrinkers vs. Yokozuna and Crush at KotR 1994. He actually makes a solid, WWE-like announcer call at one point too ("Look at 'im! One of his legs is as big as most people's bodies!" about Yoko). 

I'm watching this random tag-team match from Chi-Town Rumble 89. It's The Midnight Express/Jim Cornette vs. Paul Heyman/Randy Rose/Jack Victory and I'll be damned if Cornette wasn't actually a pretty competent wrestler. He actually bumped around pretty good for a guy with two destroyed knees and he was good at getting the crowd fired up.

I'm watching this random tag-team match from Chi-Town Rumble 89. It's The Midnight Express/Jim Cornette vs. Paul Heyman/Randy Rose/Jack Victory and I'll be damned if Cornette wasn't actually a pretty competent wrestler. He actually bumped around pretty good for a guy with two destroyed knees and he was good at getting the crowd fired up.

Not really random.  Paul E. had brought 2/3 of the original Midnight Express to JCP (Rose and Dennis Condrey) and they were feuding with Cornette & the Easton/Lane ME.  Chi-Town Rumble was the blow-off to the feud, but Condrey quit before the event, so they slotted Victory in as a replacement.

No one knows why Condrey quit.  Rumor was that Condrey found out he was going to be the one to eat the pin and leave the territory (match stip was the man pinned would leave the territory), but Cornette says the plan was always for Rose to leave and Condrey would have gotten a singles push.

On the mid south fan fest dvd, condrey said he had only agreed on a certain number of dates (6 weeks or so) and when it was up, he went home. He said if they had wanted him longer, they should have said so in the beginning. So, he went back to his ranch.

Not really random.  Paul E. had brought 2/3 of the original Midnight Express to JCP (Rose and Dennis Condrey) and they were feuding with Cornette & the Easton/Lane ME.  Chi-Town Rumble was the blow-off to the feud, but Condrey quit before the event, so they slotted Victory in as a replacement.

No one knows why Condrey quit.  Rumor was that Condrey found out he was going to be the one to eat the pin and leave the territory (match stip was the man pinned would leave the territory), but Cornette says the plan was always for Rose to leave and Condrey would have gotten a singles push.

Yeah I know it was the blow-off. I meant it was random in that I was just scanning for stuff to watch and just settled on that for whatever reason. Condrey was weird, did anyone ever find out why he left in 86?

Watching the ep of RAW that aired before SummerSlam '94 and they keep saying it's "One Week From Tonight!". Did they really run SummerSlam on Monday night? What aired on RAW that night? I know running PPVs during the week was pretty regular early on, but thought they went exclusively to Sunday Only once RAW started airing. I was watching during this time, but I don't remember them having Monday Night PPVs

EDIT: Ok, they clarified at the end of the show that RAW wouldn't be on the air the next two weeks due to the US Open airing on USA. I still find it odd that they ran the PPV on Monday night

Watching the ep of RAW that aired before SummerSlam '94 and they keep saying it's "One Week From Tonight!". Did they really run SummerSlam on Monday night? What aired on RAW that night? I know running PPVs during the week was pretty regular early on, but thought they went exclusively to Sunday Only once RAW started airing. I was watching during this time, but I don't remember them having Monday Night PPVs

EDIT: Ok, they clarified at the end of the show that RAW wouldn't be on the air the next two weeks due to the US Open airing on USA. I still find it odd that they ran the PPV on Monday night

Sometimes I wish they do ppvs that occur in during non-football months on Sunday afternoons.

Currently watching the Countdown about the hottest couples of all time. This has to be one of the most entertaining hours of wrestling related programing i've ever seen. Seriously non-stop entertainment.