DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

I'll be a mite contrary. I love Savage and Steamboat, and I think the WM III match is very good (especially because I am sucked in by 2.9s), but shouldn't there have been less pinfall attempts and more hate-filled brawling? Also, George Steele getting involved/being there sucks. Still an awesome match, but as a match that tells a story, it's not even Savage's best at WM, in my opinion. 

I think the Savage/Flair Wrestlemania VIII stuff is the single best thing the WWF has ever done.  The match, the interviews, Liz, every thing else that goes on is 100% gold.  I am a huge Randy Savage mark, and I think Wrestlemania III is a better match, but all things considered Wrestlemania VIII is just everything I want from wrestling.

I would agree with that. I think both Savage/Warrior and Savage/Flair are better overall when the match, the angle, etc., are taken into account. For example, in Savage/Steamboat, Savage does that brutal throat attack, but Steamboat just wrestles him. In Savage/Flair, Flair causes all those problems with Elizabeth, and Savage tries to kill him and there is blood everywhere by the end of the match. Just little things like that where you can tell that these two guys want to kill one another and it's not just about winning the match help elevate it for me.

For me, the whole story of Savage/Warrior is one of the best things I've ever seen in wrestling. Savage going over the top with his ego, Elizabeth showing up to see what happens, Warrior not being able to put Savage away with his finish and questioning the gods, Savage hitting five elbows, Warrior firing up and winning, then Sherri slapping Savage and Elizabeth coming in for the save, the whole thing was just soap operatic awesomeness in the angle and a wonderful, logical wrestling match as the centerpiece. Plus, any match/angle that makes people in the crowd sob with happiness is just way up there for me personally.

THE NEXUS VS. TEAM WWE, SUMMERSLAM 2010 -- I thought this was a good match to watch since I'm in my third day battling a really bad cold, just a few hours away from watching Daniel Bryan take the stage as the story headed into WrestleMania. This was Bryan's first real match in the WWE -- not part of the dumb NXT stuff, but as part of what was a really hot feud and storyline.

I think this is one of the most smartly laid out matches ever put together. And, in a big way, it was designed to get Daniel Bryan over as a star. Bryan is the last entrant of Team WWE named -- to the chagrin of The Miz -- and gets the first elimination by tapping out Darren Young just seconds into the match. Team WWE also quickly eliminated Michael Tarver after John Morrisson hit Starship Pain. This make so much sense kayfabe wise -- of course the veterans should have control early, until the Nexus gets to what works. And what works is Skip Sheffield. It's really weird seeing them call Skip by that name since he's doing what eventually became Ryback a few years later. He just mows everyone in his path down. He takes out John Morrisson with a lariat and then, just seconds later, does the same to R-Truth.

The crowd is super hot for Bret throughout this match but, of course, he's really limited physically in terms of what he can do. Heath Slater really does a great job making Bret look aces here -- that became Heath's calling card a few years later, when veterans would come back and just pummel him. Bret gets the SharpShooter on Heath but Wade Barrett coyly slides in a chair. Heath tags in Skip and Bret uses the chair on Skip for the elimination. Jericho comes in and hits the Codebreaker on Skip, leading to Edge taking him out with a spear.

Tough talking Otunga wants in on Jericho after he got worked over for a bit, but the cagey veteran makes easy work of him and hits a really nice looking Lionsault and The Walls. 4-3, WWE. But this leads to Jericho bumping into Cena and getting backjumped and eliminated by Heath Slater. This prompts Edge -- Jericho's fellow heel and reluctant Team WWE member -- to get into it with Cena, leading to him getting rolled up and pinned. This leads to Jericho and Edge turning on Cena and attacking him at ringside.

This leads to a desperate situation for Team WWE -- John Cena, being beaten and picked apart by The Nexus, needs to tag in Daniel Bryan. Can he even trust Daniel Bryan? Is Daniel Bryan any good? This builds to a really, really, really hot tag (Team WWE's apron work was great the whole match) and when Daniel gets in, he's a house of fire. It's so weird seeing his comeback. It's the same comeback he has now, essentially, but not quite perfected. Either way, he has the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand. He gets a "Daniel Bryan" chant in this and eventually taps Heath out to even the odds at 2-2. This, of course, leads to a jealous and petulant Miz to crowd Bryan with a briefcase leading to his elimination.

The final segment is controversial. Cena gets beaten up, takes a DDT on the floor but makes a comeback against Gabriel and Wade to save the day. The DDT on the floor was a bit much for what they were going for with Cena's miraculous comeback.

My actual biggest problem with the match was with Bret Hart and Skip's segment. They could have built to that a lot better than they did. I mean, Skip was just crushing dudes. He's the equalizer for The Nexus. He should have been more desperate in using the chair -- like he knows he HAS to use it to put down Skip, even though it will cost Team WWE a body and his veteran leadership. He just sort of hits him with a chair and can't believe he got DQ'd as a result.

But either way, this match is a blast and very well put together. It's a really good match with smart layout throughout. In a very big way, it was intended to get Daniel Bryan over and into a feud with The Miz beyond their NXT stuff. And it worked.

I am actually in new orleans but from the sounds of it none of these WM shows can ne replayed. That sucks

If you mean the "WrestleMania Today" panel shows that they've done the past 3 days, they are all archived to watch onDemand as well as the live roundtable they did with Cole/Flair/Foley/JBL.

So I am watching the celebrity episode of Legends of Wrestling. I wasn't really watching WWE during this time, but they were speaking about Big Show/Floyd angle. Floyd rocked Big Show's nose and busted it. Was this planned because Big Show looked kinda pissed off. Was that a work or a shoot?

I found it so funny last night at the Hall of Fame that people like me AT THE EVENT were still watching the pre-show on the Network.  You know that is probably going to happen today at WM.  Not sure if this would be considered a sickness but it is showing how much we are enjoying this network.  :D

In honor of Warrior's induction, I watched his two most prolific Mania matches, 6 vs. Hogan and 7 vs. Savage.

I had seen Hogan/Warrior before, but the commentary of Jesse and Gorrilla make it mean so much more. Very smart and engaging. There were long rest hold segments but they had a rhyme and reason. 

7 vs Warrior I had never seen before and holy shit, that was a fucking awesome match. Savage is a miracle worker, and Sherri was no slouch either. Sherri fighting tooth and nail to help Savage win, cheating at every corner and showing the desperation of what a loss would mean to her was brilliant. So much story telling with Savage nailing Warrior with 5 elbows off the top and couldn't get it done. Warrior doubting himself after Savage kicked out of his finishing combination, but finally winning after successive shoulder blocks had tossed Randy to the floor each time, each shoulder block more vicious and powerful than the one before it. The post match stuff escalates things even further with Sherri turning on Savage after losing, and Elizabeth making the save. Sherri took a crazy ass bump to the floor when Elizabeth pulled her away from Savage. And Macho, who may have lost the match, reuniting with Elizabeth. That's pro wrestling, motherfuckers (with all apologies to Mr. T's mother of course...)  

Just watched money in the bank from wrestlemania 21. I had to google whether or not benoit legit hurt his arm. Found something where it said everybody was concerned but it turns out he was just selling the hell out of it. Gotta wonder if the headbutt of the ladder gave him the brain of an 86 year old

So I am watching the celebrity episode of Legends of Wrestling. I wasn't really watching WWE during this time, but they were speaking about Big Show/Floyd angle. Floyd rocked Big Show's nose and busted it. Was this planned because Big Show looked kinda pissed off. Was that a work or a shoot?

I don't think it was planned for Mayweather to bust his nose like that. JR said something like the only time he'd ever seen Big Show that pissed backstage was when catering was late.

Most pleasant and unexpected music rights discovery so far was Koko's entrance at WM3 was intact. And he was using Morris Day & The MFn Time's "The Bird" at that point.

cwoy2j runs to re-watch WM3 right now.

I'd imagine this is the thread for talking about Legends of Wrestlemania.  Flair talking about his last match was the second time in two days I got misty-eyed (Jake's speech the other one)  Especially when he mentioned Reid and lost it some more.  He went from feeling the love for his last match to the heartbreak of his son's death.  And it was honestly tough to watch.  The show itself was pretty darn great, loved the dynamic between the legends.