DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

I'm watching WCW Greed right now. Had never seen that one. Quite a decent ppv and could've been a springboard for a "new" WCW.

WCW had a surprising uptick in their last couple ppvs before death.

It's a shame company was a dead man walking around that time b/c Steiner was on a hell of a heel run towards the end. I thought they were building up to Steiner taking out the top faces and Goldberg somehow getting reinstated (he lost a retirement match to Totally Buff) and getting the belt back.

Watched the latest Countdown about Blunders.  Scott Steiner was on the list and they showed something that I never saw:  Russo macing Steiner, and Steiner just stood there no-selling it, then grabbed the mace and yelled, "get that shit out of here!".  I thought I had pretty much watched every RAW/Nitro during the Monday Night Wars, but  I've never, ever seen this.  As if I didn't love Big Poppa Pump as it is...

Bonus points for a couple of the wrestlers apologizing in advance, because they're scared of him.

• Like 1

2001 WCW was pretty good, despite nobody watching.

As someone who watched WCW until the bitter end, I thought they were actually going in the right direction talent wise, Russo just wasn't the right person to book it.  The New Blood was full of potential, but they just couldn't stay out of their own way.  I would have bet all the money I had that Shane Helms was going to be a future world champion, but WCW closed, WWE took away everything that made him a great worker, and turned him into a comedy worker.  They should teach about WCW in business school.  They took a company with an unlimited budget and some of the top talent in the world and some how some way ran it into the ground. 

• Like 1

Helms was a great Cruiserweight champ and was made out to be a big deal with the "Vertebreaker" theme song and the dancers for his entrance. Plus he and Chavo had a pretty good feud for the belt at the end there. I don't know if he was World Champ material, but he definitely was hurt by WCW being sold because they were setting him up to be an important player. 

Also IIRC the Vertebreaker was legitimately over with live crowds, but I do need to watch some of that stuff again. 

Helms was a great Cruiserweight champ and was made out to be a big deal with the "Vertebreaker" theme song and the dancers for his entrance. Plus he and Chavo had a pretty good feud for the belt at the end there. I don't know if he was World Champ material, but he definitely was hurt by WCW being sold because they were setting him up to be an important player. 

Also IIRC the Vertebreaker was legitimately over with live crowds, but I do need to watch some of that stuff again. 

I don't know. He probably made a ton on hurricane merch. 

2001 WCW was pretty good, despite nobody watching.

As someone who watched WCW until the bitter end, I thought they were actually going in the right direction talent wise, Russo just wasn't the right person to book it.  The New Blood was full of potential, but they just couldn't stay out of their own way.  I would have bet all the money I had that Shane Helms was going to be a future world champion, but WCW closed, WWE took away everything that made him a great worker, and turned him into a comedy worker.  They should teach about WCW in business school.  They took a company with an unlimited budget and some of the top talent in the world and some how some way ran it into the ground. 

One of the reasons I love wrestling is that I think the business part of it is really fascinating. Things like WCW tossing money around like candy, the whole pay structure, downside guarantees, etc is something I like reading about. I graduated from business school at UM and I wish I could've done a case study on WCW but they didn't finish circling the drain until after I was finished.

• Like 2

Wow, I didn't think of that. Great points. I guess I can say that, while he probably made lots of money off that gimmick, in terms of his card positioning, he was hurt by WCW's close. Financially, however, if he did well, that's what matters most. 

Wow, I didn't think of that. Great points. I guess I can say that, while he probably made lots of money off that gimmick, in terms of his card positioning, he was hurt by WCW's close. Financially, however, if he did well, that's what matters most. 

Yeah, I would say that for better or worse Helms was the worker most affected by the close of WCW.  He eventually got really over, but no one thought he was a threat.to win any of the major titles.  In WCW he reached maybe 5% of his potential, in WWE he banged his head on the ceiling at a lower level than he was in WCW. 

Elimination Chamber's up in case you were wondering. Watching Shield vs. Wyatts again. The pre-match package for this is so great and so badass. I'm going to get around to watching a ton of stuff I haven't seen ever/in years but man I just want to see the early reaction for this match again. What other matches had this sort of reaction before the match even began? And what one happened on a non-major PPV? And what one happened without the presence of a Hall Of Fame type guy? Six dudes, none on the roster longer than two years, tearing the roof down and then some.

Something I missed in this match -- Bray screaming at Ambrose in the early match stand-off, playing off him being a loose cannon. Then the whole match, Dean just wants to fight Bray. Insanely great touch.

As long as Sabu and Sandman put each other through tables or hitting each other with canes and doing stuff like that, I'm fine with it.

BROCK/CENA, EXTREME RULES: This match is really wild and not like anything else in recent WWE history in terms of style. Brock just tortures Cena the entire match -- him licking blood, chaining Cena's feet, tossing refs left and right, kimura's on the ring steps, etc. Brock's over-the-top-rope knee thing was a true "WTF is this dude doing?" Cena's one move before the end -- the kimura on the steps -- was a crazy strength spot. I also loved the callback. I love the old adage where when you introduce a gun into a play/movie/etc., you always have to use the gun. I love they did that with the chain -- Cena wanted to use it earlier, only for Brock to torment Cena by chaining his legs together, kicking it away with a "No no" taunt, etc. But then after the crazy floor spot, Cena covertly finds the chain and knocks Brock out cold with it, leading to the AA on the ring steps. They introduced the chain and it paid off later on.

I take it everyone was divided on the end in that match? I totally get that. I'm not going to complain about booking or what have you -- I have zero recollection of what this led into for Cena and Brock -- but they do have Cena always cast as a comeback kid. I genuinely like that, but I would have liked it if he was cast as a bit more of Lesnar's equal to start the match before Lesnar overpowered him. That would have made Lesnar's dominance even more prominent, and it would have made Cena's miracle end even better. Instead, the end had a David vs. Goliath vibe -- Cena hit his slingshot and the giant fell. I get that, but Cena shouldn't be David.

But still, really chaotic and nuts match.

Sabu vs Sandman from NTR 97 is great in a trainwreck kind of way its sloppy and a complete clusterfuck but its kinda fun to watch you cant look away. Plus you can tell Sandman is completely out of it when he walks out you look into his eyes and you just know he's gone.

I'm guessing they're either using the WrestleMania 15 from the Anthology DVD or a version that ran on Classics on Demand prior to them getting the OK for past WWF mentions. Like most everything else, I'm guessing they'll eventually fix it.

Still slowly making my way through the World Class footage and King Kong Bundy is still amazing. Any time he has interview time he never fails to entertain. Bundy feels like he would be a cool friend but you may be forced to keep him out of fights for the protection of the patrons in the bar. Bundy isn't a hard character to get behind, he is just a hard working joe trying to make his money.

Al Medrill is pretty good in the ring, sadly he seems to hate the wrestling business now according to his wiki entry.

The WWEN recently uploaded one of the shows leading into the Flair/Von Erich Star Wars title match. It has a great confrontation between Fritz and Flair where Flair angers Fritz to the point where the old man sounds like a demon by the end. The entire angle was well thought out seemingly months in advance and every step is taken in a logical direction.

Still slowly making my way through the World Class footage and King Kong Bundy is still amazing. Any time he has interview time he never fails to entertain. Bundy feels like he would be a cool friend but you may be forced to keep him out of fights for the protection of the patrons in the bar. Bundy isn't a hard character to get behind, he is just a hard working joe trying to make his money.

Al Medrill is pretty good in the ring, sadly he seems to hate the wrestling business now according to his wiki entry.

The WWEN recently uploaded one of the shows leading into the Flair/Von Erich Star Wars title match. It has a great confrontation between Fritz and Flair where Flair angers Fritz to the point where the old man sounds like a demon by the end. The entire angle was well thought out seemingly months in advance and every step is taken in a logical direction.

Madrill and Bugsy McGraw are climbing the charts on my favorite tag-teams of all of the times.

Notable Matches from the Honorable Mentions

Summerslam 2001

Mr. Perfect © vs. Bret Hart in a "You Don't Get Much Better Than These Two in 1991" match for the WWF Intercontinental Championship

This match is pretty highly touted, and based on the participants I'm not surprised.  This is kind of a funny duo, because Bret was always came off as super serious, and Perfect is always goofy.  Hart controls early with a series of headlocks, and Perfect can even sell a side headlock goofy.  They feel each other out for a while and Hart is controlling everything.  Perfect takes a powder and decides to take an early exit, but Bret goes out and damn near rips his singlet off.  There is a 3-man booth with Gorilla, Piper and The Brain, and it is a perfect illustration of if something isn't broke, don't fix it.  Piper is obnoxious and is just talking over Gorilla and Brain, which sucks because Brain and Gorilla have really good chemistry.  Piper is really like that last drink that takes you from having fun, with a good buzz to crazed and out of control drunk.  His energy is on 24552554522145562141652% and it is grating.  The match is really good by the way.  Perfect is a great heel, he bumps around like a goof, but really knows how to turn up the mean when he's on offense.  He kicks the shit out of Bret with his usual spots and eventually just gets sick of Bret and throws him across the ring by his hair.  Bret is also really good here, but that is expected.  I think Bret's biggest strength is that he never really does anything he isn't really good at.  I know he gets shit for his five moves of death, but everyone has their signature spots.  He's not the most exciting worker, but you know you're going to get quality when you watch a Bret Hart match.  This wrapped up with Perfect trying to drop a low blow leg drop on Bret, but he catches the leg, and hooks up the Sharpshooter, and wins the Intercontinental Championship. 

Wrestlemania 10

This is probably the wrestling show I've watched the most times.  It originally aired when I was 13, and there was not a bigger wrestling fan on earth as me at 13.  I've probably watched the two matches I'm going to comment on here a combined 65216589489165416541651541654165 times. 

”The Rocket” Owen Hart vs. Bret “Hitman” Hart in a "We've Been Wrestling Since we were in Diapers" match. 

I remember loving Owen Hart's entrance music when I was younger, now it sounds really dated with it's stupid synthesizer riffs.  Bret gave his sunglasses to the most unappreciative kid ever, which has always delighted me.  I think one of the most underrated aspects of great wrestling is trust.  If you get two guys in there that trust each other completely, they can pull out all the stops and we generally get something special.  Can we sign a petition to get someone to bring back Owen Hart's belly-to-belly suplex?  It was really one of the most consistently good looking spots of all time.  For two brothers Bret and Owen had two completely different styles .  Owen's offense was much more of a 90s Jr. puro style with some really good suplexes, mixed with some solid mat wrestling and the occasional high flying move.  His time in Japan really influenced how he worked for the rest of his career.  Bret was a much more traditional late 80s American babyface.  He wouldn't wow you with movez, just a few signature spots that he executes perfectly.  It is crazy how many classic matches he has had when his biggest moves were an inverted atomic drop, a backbreaker and a Russian leg sweep.  They should show this match at the performance center to show the young guys how to sell an injury.  Bret's selling of his injured knee is about as good as I've ever seen, and he continues it into the championship match later on the card.  This is a match that couldn't possibly have been better.  It was just two really good wrestlers, who hit everything cleanly and crisply.  That is probably the best opening match ever. 

Shawn Michaels (w. Diesel) vs. Razor Ramon in a "Some Day Some One is Going to Kill Himself Trying to Top This" match.

This has to be in the top 5 most influential matches in WWF history.  It is the match that really launched the career of Shawn Michaels, and future ladder matches did the same for The Hardy's, The Dudleys, Edge and Christian.  Without this match I don't know if any of those guys have the career they had.  That doesn't even take into account the Money in the Bank matches that have spawned multiple world title reigns.  The first time I watched this match, I was amazed by how much of the match was 100% new to me.  As a 13 year-old I had found my holy grail, it was the most incredible thing that I had ever seen.  It  was my favorite wrestler at the time, Razor Ramon, and one of my favorites of all-time putting on a match that surpassed everything I imagined wrestling could be.  I don't know where it ranks on my favorite matches of all-time, but it is the match that made me not care whether or not wrestling was "fake."  Wrestling doesn't have to be real, just like magic doesn't have to be real.  Watching Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon fight up and down a ladder, and put their bodies on the line transcended what was real, fake, or predetermined.  It was fucking magic, and at the end of the day it doesn't matter whether or not it is real I can appreciate wrestling for what it is and this is about as good as it gets.

Great American Bash 1996

Dean Malenko vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. in a "This is the Beginning of the Greatness of the WCW Cruiserweight Division" match.

This is Rey's WCW debut, and according to Tenay the first meeting between Rey and Dean.  If this is really the first time these guys have wrestled, they have uncanny chemistry.  These are basically the two guys the Cruiserweight Division was built around and I don't think they could have picked two better guys.  Eddy Guerrero and Chris Benoit were better wrestlers all around, but I think the contrast in styles between Dean Malenko and Rey Mysterio was the key to getting the division over.  Malenko works over Rey's arm like he wants to rip it off and hang it over his fireplace next to the bass he caught last summer, and Dusty actually gives some good insight on commentary.  Dean is just killing Rey's arm and Dusty notes, that  all that arm work is good, but if Rey can get away he still has a chance as long as he has his legs.  As soon as Rey gets away, Rey goes into overdrive with this flying.  He hits a spring board summersault plancha, and about 44 versions of the hurricarana before Malenko finishes him with a powerbomb with his feet on the ropes.  This was the first in a series of about 250, and while it was really good, they got better and better after they built a level of trust. 

Chris Benoit vs. Kevin Sullivan in a "This is Probably Going to be Uncomfortable to Watch" match.

Kevin Sullivan's Lightning bolt eyebrows are insanely stupid looking.  They brawl into the crowd, up the stairs and into the men's bathroom, which is filled with fans.  I wish I could describe Dusty's delight when he sees the woman in the men's room.  He is literally squealing with glee.  This is very early in the brawl through the crowd era, and security is earning their money this night.  Sullivan throws Benoit down the stairs in a spot that could have gone really bad.  This ended with what may be the most and least convoluted table spot of all time.  Benoit puts a table on the top rope in the corner.  Charges at Sullivan who is standing with his back against the table and Sullivan back body drops Benoit on top of the table.  Sullivan climbs the top rope to slam him off of the table, but Benoit counters and hits a superplex for the win.  It was completely unnecessary, but they made it work in a way that made it look organic.  This was really good, just two really good brawlers beating the living shit out of each other.

Lord Steven Regal vs. Sting in a "Can There be Two More Different Wrestlers than Sting and Regal" match. 

Sting takes control early sending Regal over the top and then back body dropping him on the floor and Regal has his bumping boots on.  Regal goes to Sting's eyes and immediately starts stiffing the shit out of sting with strikes before working a headlock.  Wrestling Regal has to be no fun at all, every little thing he does seems to hurt a lot.  Between Regal here and Malenko in the Cruiserweight title match, they really know how to make technical wrestling interesting.  They both do a lot of submission holds, but never do so in a way that makes you think they're resting.  They really lock in their submissions and wrench on them like they are trying to punish their opponents.  It is kind of a lost art.  This is almost 100% Regal until he gets pissed that Sting won't tap to the Regal Stretch and Sting makes the superman comeback and locks in the Scorpion Deathlock.  Sting got about a minute of offense in a 15 minute match, but he gets the win in a really good match. 

ECW Barely Legal

Gran Hamada, The Great Sasuke & Masato Yakushiji v. Men’s Teioh, Dick Togo & TAKA Michinoku in a "I Hate to Admit This Here, but I've Never Watched a Michinoku Pro 6-Man" match.

Ok, I think I've seen all of these guys at least once except for Masato Yakushiji.  I was probably the world's biggest TAKA fan during his WWF run, but I really wish these guys would have gone to WCW where they actually gave the cruiserweights time to wrestle.  Trying to recap this match would be impossible to do without pausing this a disrupting the match so much it wouldn't be worth it.  This is really the best Dragongate match I've ever watched.  There is no psychology or selling at all, it is just a huge spotfest, but it's a damn good one.  Joey Styles considered a really good announcer, but he likes to make fun of WWF and WCW for fucking shit up and he fucks up a lot.  For instance he called a brainbuster a Michinoku Driver.  This is all types of fun, Yakushiji, who I never heard of before about 5 minutes ago has all types of fun high flying offense, and after watching this I'm surprised he didn't turn into a star down the road.  TAKA and Sasuke are stellar as always, but I think Togo and Hamada steal the show with their short, stocky, but super fast style.  Fun match, that probably should have been on that High Flyers DVD WWE put out a couple of years ago. 

Backlash 2000

Dean Malenko vs. Scotty 2 Hotty in a "This is the best Light Heavyweight Championship Match in History" match.

I hated Scotty 2 Hotty, his retarded dancing, and especially the worm, but I remember loving the shit out of this match.  Malenko is the king of working around other people's nonsense.  He also got a really good match out of Disco Inferno at Bash at the Beach 96.  Malenko is really working over Scotty's leg, this match happened 14 years ago, and I doubt if Scotty can walk now.  Scotty gets some offense including the god-awful worm, until Malenko cuts him off with a Tiger Driver and a powerslam.  Malenko gets tossed, but snaps Scotty's neck across the top rope.  Malenko goes to the top and Scotty follows him up and goes for a superplex…Malenko has other plans and DDTs him into oblivion from the top rope.  This was outstanding.

Eddy Guerrero vs. Essa Rios in a "I Have No Recollection of this Even Happening" match.

I'm not going to do a full recap on this, but I think I should not Essa Rios had some insane dives.  He almost jumped over Eddy with an Asai Moonsault and his summersault tope in the corner was fan-fucking-tastic.  Oh and Eddy hit a brainbuster, and is wrestling in tuxedo pants and a bowtie.  Eddy wins with a airplane spin neckbreaker. 

Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho in a "These Two are Unable to Have a Bad" match.

This is pretty brutal from the start, they are really laying in the chops and Benoit misses a tope and wipes out on the floor.  Apparently in an interview on Byte This, Jericho said, "All I know is that we are going to beat the hell out of each other."  That is exactly what is going on, Benoit always worked fairly stiff, but Jericho is bringing the pain here himself.  These are probably my two favorite wrestlers at the time, and they didn't disappoint here.  They just brutalized the shit out of each other with chops, suplexes, submissions, and whatever else they could think of.  This ended in a DQ after Jericho used the IC title to block a diving headbutt, and the feud continues.

HHH vs. The Rock in a "Why Do We Need 375 People Involved in This?" match.

This is probably a year or so before the best main event run in history with Rock, HHH, Stone Cold, and Kurt Angle fighting on top with Jericho and Benoit sprinkled in to keep things interesting, but these two already had great chemistry.  They have probably wrestled 15 PPV matches by this time, and the matches always deliver.  This is one of those overbooked matches where the McMahon's try to screw the babyface out of the title by stacking the odds against him.  While these matches were often clusterfucks, sometimes, like this one, they turn out really fun.  This is the match where Rock tries to hit the Rock Bottom on the table, only to have Shane, the special guest referee try to stop him.  Rock grabs Shane and hits the Rock Bottom on both of them.  The stooges run in and then Vince, in all his over the top cocky asshole glory, hits Rock with a huge wind up chairshot.  HHH goes for a pedigree and then the glass breaks and Austin runs in and hits everyone but The People's Champ with chairshots.  Rock hits the Rock Bottom and The People's Elbow for the win and we have a new World Champion.  This was good in a look I know this was over the top and outrageous, but I don't care way.

Invasion

Invasion should not be on any list of best PPVs ever.  It wasn't a bad show, but the Invasion PPV was basically a microcosm of what was wrong with the entire invasion angle.  They had the best roster in the history of the business, but instead of letting the guys go out and put on good wrestling matches, they decided to make all the new guys look like chumps and shit on everyone who could have made the angle successful.  It was probably the biggest missed opportunity of all time, but if you asked Vince he would say it was a huge success.  This was basically Vince's money shot on the face of WCW.

Summerslam 2002

Angle vs. Rey Mysterio in a "Does Rey Still Have It" match

Rey starts out with a headscissors from behind before hitting a series of high flying moves.  Kurt Angle has promised to break Rey's ankle and Angle is hitting a bunch of nifty reversals to go after Rey's ankle.  Angle is wearing the silliest singlet in the history of the world, I love goofiness in my wrestling and Kurt's ring gear was fucking magical.  This is basically Rey trying to fly, and Angle trying to kill him with suplexes and make him tap with submissions.  This should probably be mentioned when we talk about greatest opening matches, it is basically everything you want in a opener.

On paper this should have been one of the best PPVs ever, but some of the matches just didn't live up to their full potential.  I don't even think there was anyone to blame for them not being better, it's just that sometimes things just don't click like they should.  Jericho vs. Flair was fun, but I expected more from both guys.  This was a 10 minute match between two guys who should be able to work a 10 minute match that makes sense, but they end up putting on a match that ends with a figure four without any knee work.  Edge vs. Eddy Guerrero had the exact opposite problem, it was Eddy trying to hurt Edge's shoulder to stop the spear, which Edge sells until he hits the spear and pins Eddy.  Chris Benoit vs. RVD was pretty good, but could have been about 30% better if RVD decided to actually sell instead of just trying to get his shit in.  None of these matches are bad, but all of them lack the attention to detail that makes wrestling go from good to great. 

HHH vs. Shawn Michaels in a "He is Bumping Like a Pinball for a Guy With a Fucked Up Back" match

Shawn Michaels was gone for over 4 years, and no one thought he would ever wrestle again, so no one knew what they were going to get when this match was announced, but if someone tells you they weren't hyped for it they are fucking lying.  In 2002 my wrestling fandom was waning, but I was all in for this one, and it delivered.  When it happened, I had no idea Shawn had another run in him, I legit thought this was going to be a one time, last match ever for one of my favorite wrestlers of all time.  I thought that he wanted to come back one time to put on one more match to see if he still had it.  I was watching HHH brutalize his back with the knowledge that his best friend wanted to go out in the most memorable way possible.  All I knew was that Shawn Michaels retired because his back was so bad that he couldn't take bumps any more.  To see him come back and not only take bumps, but take huge bumps was exciting not only because I was watching a great match, but because you really believed those bumps hurt him more than they would hurt anyone else.  In 2002 this was about as exciting as wrestling could possibly be for me.  Watching this more than 10 years later, after Michaels comeback, does take something away, but this is still pretty damn good.

Up next we get into the top 5 with Wrestlemania III.

Decided to continue my weekend project of working my way though all Raws in order and noticed they FINALLY uploaded the couple eps - 6 and 14 (or thereabouts) - they had for some reason skipped over.

Ep 6 is must watch for the only appearance of Hogan live on Raw until his 90s return. The Incredibly Shrinking Hulkster does a damage control "shoot" with Vince where he blamed "peer pressure" for the 'roids and coke then blasts "tabloid terrorism" for besmirching the good name of Hulkamania. If he thought that things were bad then good thing all this didn't happen nowadays. Also, his protestations about unfair treatment and such would me more sympathetic if he hadn't lied on Arsenio then showed up looking completely different and 35 pounds lighter.

The hilarity gets dialed up to 11 as the show goes on. Vince on commentary actually says, "Hulk Hogan is a great role model for all children" while trying desperately to put him over. Granted he still got big reactions and I believe his first couple WCW ppvs drew big but watching Hogan desperately trying to revive his tired act and dig himself out of the PR hole, I have to wonder what the fuck Vince as thinking putting the belt on him at Mania 9.

A.) I agree, do you have any that are must see or at least a starting point?

B.) I tried to put it in the correct perspective of why I like it as much as I do, but would you like to expand your hatred for it.  I thought it was good other than the fact that Michaels doesn't really sell the horrific beating that HHH put on his back.  As a 21-year-old who was at Hooters with my friends, I loved that match, but to each their own I guess.

Watching Fully Loaded and its like the 10th video with a Chris Benoit match with no marker. I do a search and am met with: No results were found for that term. Please try a new search. Incredible. Also WM14, KOTR 1996, and NTR 1997 all have this crazy looking fan with long black hair and equally dark shades. So random. I'll post screen caps later.

I loved the Legends of Wrestling episode about the 70s. It was an episode where Michael really wasn't annoying, as he was the "fan" getting to ask about the era he grew up watching. Bockwinkel concedeing that Bruno was "The Guy" came as a bit of surprise but the emphasis he and Patterson made about Bruno being the most well known around the world made sense. I really loved hearing hem talk about Gary Hart!

James