DVDVR Message Board

Raw 2-24-14

MGFanJay

Bray Wyatt's promo on Cena was so fantastic though.  How many times have they tried to have "crazy demonic" heels cut that promo and have it fail (like, remember returning new-mask Kane?).  It made Cena into a dated, old-fashioned comic book superhero from a dead era.  

Like any good villain, Bray is a philosophical threat to everything the hero represents more than just a physical threat.  It's like, if he loses, the Hellmouth opens or something.  And the best part is that with so much of the crowd against Cena, it's like no one believes in the hero anymore anyway, so he is outdated.  It's just a matter of shoveling aside his corpse.  

It's like the end fight of SUPERMAN II when everyone has given up on the "hero."

But hey, maybe they can run the same angle with Kofi.

• Like 1

Reigns and Bray were involved in a Match of the Decade type of event last night. Tonight, two minutes into the thing, they get the first Husky Harris chants heard since The Wyatt Family debut. How do you possibly deal with that? And why would you pay money to do that?

• Like 1

WWE crowds in general are horrible now.

I blame the post-WM show in Jersey. These crowds are awful and the rampant bitching about every fucking little thing on Twitter has gotten really tiresome. The fans' entitlement issues have gotten rapidly out of control, it's one thing to boo or crap on stuff that stinks but the TV crowds seem to be doing it with almost everything now.

Considering how much WWE has fucked with its fanbase lately with the Daniel Bryan shit, why does this surprise you? The people at the live shows are pissed.

It's really unfortunate that it's trickling down to the guys who are legitimately talented and over like it did tonight, but WWE made their bed with this one.  The announcement of the Reigns-Wyatt match got a big pop, but the wind got completely sucked out of the arena after the Bryan-HHH stuff when it was basically confirmed that "no, you are not getting Daniel Bryan in the World Title match at Wrestlemania - deal with it."

Then you send those two guys out there and they have a boring rear chinlock-fest. They were basically set up to fail.

• Like 1

With Cena possibly being hurt, Punk's bargaining power just got much higher.

Maybe, but I don't exactly see how the WWE's got anything he wants any more than when he walked away before, other than stupid money, and I don't see that the matchups they could put him in would be worth it.

With Cena possibly being hurt, Punk's bargaining power just got much higher.

Sting waits by the phone quietly.

But yeah, vignettes where John Cena drives his wheelchair up to CM Punk's condo, or Sting's house, to arrange for them to take on the Wyatts for Cena

or Punk can kick Cena's wheelchair off the stage and turn heel

So tonight was pretty much the worst night of Big E's life, right? First he gets outed for having a ridiculous real name and then he messes up the Neutralizer and gets planted on his face.

This was a real good Raw but the highlight was definitely Michael Cole's utter silence when JBL pushed him on Big E's last name. Obviously he didn't know and was just waiting to be fed the info from the back. Oh to be a fly on the wall as Steph and HHH feverishly debated whether they should reveal one of their open and coming stars has a dorky name.

The hilarity of the moment almost makes me forgive those idiot announcers thinking Eeyore was Igor. Don't mess with the Pooh, man.

Cena, with his superhuman healing powers, might be good enough to go for Mania if it is a dislocated knee without much damage otherwise.

I blame the post-WM show in Jersey. These crowds are awful and the rampant bitching about every fucking little thing on Twitter has gotten really tiresome. The fans' entitlement issues have gotten rapidly out of control, it's one thing to boo or crap on stuff that stinks but the TV crowds seem to be doing it with almost everything now.

Yep. They all want to get themselves over at this point above any and everything -- even places like Green Bay.

It's like ROH crowds, especially those from a few years ago, have overtaken the WWE [universe] and no one needed that.

• Like 1

Bray Wyatt's promo on Cena was so fantastic though.  How many times have they tried to have "crazy demonic" heels cut that promo and have it fail (like, remember returning new-mask Kane?).  It made Cena into a dated, old-fashioned comic book superhero from a dead era.  

Like any good villain, Bray is a philosophical threat to everything the hero represents more than just a physical threat.  It's like, if he loses, the Hellmouth opens or something.  And the best part is that with so much of the crowd against Cena, it's like no one believes in the hero anymore anyway, so he is outdated.  It's just a matter of shoveling aside his corpse.  

It's like the end fight of SUPERMAN II when everyone has given up on the "hero."

Something about Bray's promo delivery bugs me. I love what he's actually saying, but the way he delivers it is just a little too hokey and over the top.

• Like 1

I thought the Post show started off awesome with Taker walking back and Lesnar selling his injury with no commentary.  But then it just became twenty minutes of four guys saying nothing featuring two exclusive interviews of two other guys saying nothing.  You would think they would shoot an angle JUST for this for all the freeloaders to want to come back next week, but I guess not.

Batista trying the Cena move is hilarious.  Hey, I respect the freedom to boo me or cheer me!!!!

It actually makes me respect how long Cena has been able to balance that...seeing someone clumsy and dim try to do the same thing and ends up just screaming "I LOVE THIS BUSINESSS!"

At least Cena tells a touching story about a sick kid before he gets to that part.

• Like 1

Almost everything on this show deserved to be booed.

• Like 2

Something about Bray's promo delivery bugs me. I love what he's actually saying, but the way he delivers it is just a little too hokey and over the top.

Tonight was so great though.  I got goosebumps when he went toward the crowd with their Cena signs and accused them personally of being shallow and stupid and misled.

I think it can seem hokey when all the poetic imagery doens't mean anything, but tonight the actual content was so solid, he almost couldn't go too big.

How fucking ridiculous does Batista look with the Gracie academy logo on its tights? Like does he realize how lame he looks trying to pass his 46-year-old self off as some legit MMA tough guy when you've got BROCK FUCKING LESNAR on the same show?

And it's not even like Batista has added any MMA-esque offense to his arsenal. In fact, he basically doesn't do anything but punch, kick, spinebuster and powerbomb. At least CM Punk put a little more effort into his performance when he was wearing the Gracie hoodie.

• Like 2

So is Super Cena going to make another return? I hope he sits this out, if he is hurt bad, go rest.

Poor Bray, he set it up great and now his big victory is gone. Shield-Wyatts II? Nothing else will really work, especially on short notice. Bray-Sheamus or Bray-Punk is not really appealing.

This Mania seems kind of doomed right now. Punk is in his tent, Cena migt not be able to walk, Batista can't catch his breath, was Orton even on Raw, IC title is junk right now, Taker-Brock is all that is worth seeing. HHH-Bryan only works if Bryan submits him but that probably won't happen. Yikes.

With everything that has transpired in the WWE over the last several months I'm really just completely baffled that this is the Wrestlemania card that they have came up with.

Yeah, Batista came back & C.M. Punk took off, OK..? This is still the best you can do?

It's like they knew that 'Mania was going to be $10 cause of the Network so they didn't give a fuck.

• Like 1

I think we see WM30 as being bigger than they do. Plus, matches like Brock-Rock and HBK-Bryan fell through. They still dropped the ball big time, this was a real chance to draw people back in.

Also, are The Usos champs or what? What was that? Argh.

How ridiculous is it that they actually sent Bryan out there and had him say, "Do you hear them?!! Give the WWE Universe what they all want!!!! <then demands a match against Triple H, which nobody actually wants>"

I mean, of all the ways to set that match up, you go with that? Jesus. You could feel the crowd wince after that one before they started YES'ing along with him.

I guess it's all part of his grand story arc, culminating in him finally getting his long-awaited "Summerslam moment" in six months, right Greggulator?