DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Shame Devitt will get saddled with some Irish stereotype too. Why do they feel compelled to do this still, I know why, but all the same, ugh. As soon as I saw the jig I said to my dad who was in the room watching NXT for the first time "yeah, some of this will never make Raw"

I very genuinely don't think that Devitt won't be pushed as someone whose gimmick/character's primary characteristic is that he is Irish. Devitt will take after Adrian Neville if anything. WWE have wanted him since 2008.

Becky ran through about a dozen gimmicks some relying her nationality others not however none worked/connect. She's quintessentially Irish there's no running away from that. They let her be herself/her Indy persona but then over WWE-ised it. 

I personally don't mind her being the "female Sheamus" but the incessant dancing and the announcers mentioning at every moment possible she is Irish is absolute overkill.

Really glad to see Lynch debut, but got to agree with the sentiments about the dancing, that was horrible. Really, when it think about how "Irish" the WWE have treated Finlay, Sheamus and Lynch (leprechaun sidekick, shillelagh, pasty white skin with ginger hair, Irish jigs), I should be happy in retrospect that Mason Ryan didn't debut with some daffs, a rugby ball and an inflatable sheep.

So after reading the reviews, I caught this week's Vaudevillians debut and was really love the gimmick already.  I loved Renee's "Forget about cross fit, these guys know how to train" line.  And yeah, Lynch should probably cut down on the dancing unless they turn her deal and give her a delusional heel gimmick.  However, if they do that, the jigging garvin stomp or dancing corner kicks ala Human Tornado could easily be paired up with the dancing.

*EDIT*  Sawyer Fulton looks like nise Glacier.

So after reading the reviews, I caught this week's Vaudevillians debut and was really love the gimmick already. I loved Renee's "Forget about cross fit, these guys know how to train" line. And yeah, Lynch should probably cut down on the dancing unless they turn her deal and give her a delusional heel gimmick. However, if they do that, the jigging garvin stomp or dancing corner kicks ala Human Tornado could easily be paired up with the dancing.

*EDIT* Sawyer Fulton looks like nise Glacier.

Their debut was the week before, actually.

So after reading the reviews, I caught this week's Vaudevillians debut and was really love the gimmick already. I loved Renee's "Forget about cross fit, these guys know how to train" line. And yeah, Lynch should probably cut down on the dancing unless they turn her deal and give her a delusional heel gimmick. However, if they do that, the jigging garvin stomp or dancing corner kicks ala Human Tornado could easily be paired up with the dancing.

*EDIT* Sawyer Fulton looks like nise Glacier.

Their debut was the week before, actually.

I went back and watch that too.

As commentator, Renee has an unfortunate tendency to go off on tangents not related to what is happening in front of her and doesn't seem to have a ton of emotional investment in what is going on.  She's taking on aspects of Regal's commentary as far as telling stories about people (like she would be right at home doing Regal's Gotch stories) but hasn't mastered how to transition from that to calling the action like Regal is much better at doing.  

She's okay and at least provides a unique sounding voice in commentary while I seem to have problems telling Philips from Saxton from Riley when they speak.

The whole time I am watching the Neville vs RVD match I am just wondering when the fuck will Renee Young stop talking about her music video and song.   It was like him being the #1 contender was meaningless. When you have to have the worst of the NXT commentary only talking about the match you are in trouble.  At least Tyler Breeze tried to stay on the subject in his own whiny prima donna way.

I don't know it seems like renee was doing the JBL strategy of commentating where you have 3 things to say and you are going to figure how to put it in no matter how awkward the position is.  

Neville's gimmick is fighting champion with a dash of "face whole f'n show," which is why the RVD matchup itself made sense. 

Renee is terrible on commentary EXCEPT for when Regal is there because they have awesome chemistry, though Regal has awesome chemistry with everyone and can carry a broomstick to both a five-star match and "Heenan at the '92 Rumble" level commentary.

She's awesome on interviews and will probably kill it on the pre- and post-show stuff, though, and I am sure that with time, she will figure out how to be more effective as a color woman. 

I love Tyler Breeze, whom gets better every week, but him at the booth was painful tonight. Ah, he'll learn. I love Renee as much as the rest of you, but she is not so good on commentary at all. They needed to work the conversation to what Tyler Breeze thought about Aaron Neville more quickly, and even though Breeze is a douchey heel, I think he shut Renee down a bit too quickly at the beginning. Take some improv classes, Breeze! Yes, and!

Chuckling at the typo.

WWE-WWF_SummerSlam-1993_Aaron-Neville.jp

• Like 1

I love Tyler Breeze, whom gets better every week, but him at the booth was painful tonight. Ah, he'll learn. I love Renee as much as the rest of you, but she is not so good on commentary at all. They needed to work the conversation to what Tyler Breeze thought about Aaron Neville more quickly, and even though Breeze is a douchey heel, I think he shut Renee down a bit too quickly at the beginning. Take some improv classes, Breeze! Yes, and!

Chuckling at the typo.

WWE-WWF_SummerSlam-1993_Aaron-Neville.jp

Amazing typo even for me. 

I was watching a WCW show on the Network where he sang the National Anthem the other day, which I KNOW is what caused me to type that. 

Anyway, what I meant to say is Neville Longbottom. 

Very cool to see Becky debut finally. I agree with most of you though that the dancing was a bit overkill and hope that they eventually tone it down. But she looked great out there.  Crazy that a few years ago, we all thought she was done for good.

I just read on a German website that's usually pretty reliable that Corey Graves decided to retire after his most recent injury.

Does anyone know anything more about this?

Seems like he's really living the CM Punk gimmick, but this was too soon.

Goes to show how selective wrestling companies can be as it relates to who they do and don't like.  If they want to push you, they'll protect the hell out of you and keep trying until it works.  If they don't want to push you, they'll come up with every excuse in the book.