DVDVR Message Board

Best musician/band that is no one's favorite musician/band

Greggulator

My mom's favorite band is Heart. She's got good taste every once in awhile. 

I stand with Zevon in that considering on his first album he had the entire late '70s wave of massively popular LA rockers (the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Linda Rondstadt, Jackson Browne) playing on it, made a ton of great records, dropped off the face of the earth more than once only to come back, and died very publicly after playing on David Letterman, most people will probably usually just say "The guy that did "Werewolves of London"? What else did he do?"

CCR is a good pick, though they're one of the best bands of all time period. I just don't see people saying that's their favorite act for the most part. 

Insofar as Ice Cube is concerned we left out The Predator which is a very good record as well. 

Kenny Loggins cousin Dave Loggins. Has some great tunes, the theme song for the Augusta tour, etc. Probably marginally  better than Kenny but no ones favorite.

You just inspired me to victory...less famous brother, actually secretly good, no one, unless you count himself, would claim that he is their favorite musician.

Frank Stallone

The question was "best musician/band". No one argues that Frank Stallone is good at singing.

Restless Heart gets so little love they're referred to as Reckless Heart twice in this thread. Whoever said the Stones or CCR has never actually interacted with other humans before.

I never said they weren't popular, I just thought they might be in a lot of people's top three, top five, but not actually be number one. In fact every band I've listed is very good or better,  and they've made more money than I will ever see, but wasn't sure if they were any one's favorite all time band. Except for the Stones, I just fucked up there. 

How about Wings? I know alot of people love mccartney but would they prefer his singles stuff to the beatles? Or how about the Traveling Wilburys? The two albums are classics but might not make all time favorite status. . . 

My gut says that it has to be a band that is essentially derivative: someone like Morris Day and the Time or James. Both are very clearly seen as secondary to another act (Prince and The Smiths, respectively). I think because of that people will naturally favor the original and superior group. Obviously a huge percentage of people are contrary for its own sake so this excercise probably has no right answer, but I think this is on the right track.

I agree with Goldman, it's more likely to be a band like I Mother Earth or .38 Special, bands who existed at the same time as bands who were more popular than them doing essentially the same thing.

If we're doing that, I think I might have a genuine good choice.

Bad Company. Solid straightforward rock band, pretty good really, couldn't possibly be anyone's favourite band. 

Restless Heart gets so little love they're referred to as Reckless Heart twice in this thread. Whoever said the Stones or CCR has never actually interacted with other humans before.

I never said they weren't popular, I just thought they might be in a lot of people's top three, top five, but not actually be number one. In fact every band I've listed is very good or better,  and they've made more money than I will ever see, but wasn't sure if they were any one's favorite all time band. Except for the Stones, I just fucked up there. 

How about Wings? I know alot of people love mccartney but would they prefer his singles stuff to the beatles? Or how about the Traveling Wilburys? The two albums are classics but might not make all time favorite status. . . 

I don't want to meet the person who loves Paul McCartney and thinks "sure, The Beatles stuff was good, but he didn't really peak until Wings."

I mean, I'm sure that person exists, I just don't want to know them.

I don't want to meet the person who loves Paul McCartney and thinks "sure, The Beatles stuff was good, but he didn't really peak until Wings."

Alan-Partridge-played-by--006.jpg

• Like 1

How about the Moody Blues or Chicago? Not saying they don't have fans, but I'm not sure they would be number one on many people's lists. 

Sadly, I work with a guy who would call Chicago his favorite ever band.

Terry Kath was actually a pretty good guitar player. Underrated for sure with being in that band being a big reason for that.

Hello! :)

Hello! :)

After Bonnaroo, I'd pretty much take any iteration of Sir Paul.

• Like 2

White kids with backpacks love them some Roots.

How about Tommy James and the Shondells?  Had a couple of major hits, but a very short peak and were overshadowed by the Beatles and others in their prime.

• Like 1

I loooooooove Tommy James and went through a brief obsession w/ his career. He was sort of The Beatles-lite -- went from pure bubblegum and added more and more experimental stuff over time, but never to the point of a lot of his peers. But this is a great example -- he has a great Best Of album and deserves acclaim but isn't in the same league as a lot of others in his era.

Jan and Dean? Who's going to pick Jan and Dean over the Beach Boys?

I've seen people describe Jan and Dean as proto Zappa and proto-punk. Supposedly they had a really great goofy stage show and people really like Jan Berry's songwriting, it's not hard to imagine someone prefering his ironic humor over Beach Boys sincerity and sentimentality.