DVDVR Message Board

Best musician/band that is no one's favorite musician/band

Greggulator

How about Little Walter? If you like blues you're probably picking Muddy Waters, Son House, Howlin' Wolf, Robert Johnson.

Gotta second Badfinger. Good group but can't see anyone claim them as their favorite.

Duane Eddy, that style of rock is pretty much non-existent now and I cannot see anyone claim him as their favorite.

• 11 months later...

alright, how about The Roots? Exceptionally talented, major presence, never seen anyone say "my favorite band is The Roots" ever.

They were my first thought.  I'd say they are the most underrated rap act ever, but they are hardly ever considered when talking about best rappers.  Black Thought is an excellent MC, but you never see him in best rappers lists.  And they are an awesome band, but never got much recognition as they are pigeon-holed as a rap act and not always considered a band.  They would have been a great answer to this question before Jimmy Fallon popularized them, but i'm certain they are on many people's favorites lists now.

My favorite bands that are on (almost) no one's else favorite lists

Pantera,  (But i'm certain they still have droves of metalhead fans out there with them still as #1)

No Doubt, Black Keys, Kings Of Leon, White Stripes, Paramore?... Zac Brown Band! (prob all too popular)

Oooh, I got the answer.....The Traveling Wilburys.  The best lineup you will ever see, with almost none of the recognition

Guest The Magnificent 7

Rap:  EPMD (well they're probably my favorite, but I've never hear anyone else love them the way I do)

Metal:  Demolition Hammer - two albums that are classics in Epidemic of Violence and Tortured Existence.  They just didn't get much recognition for being awesome with the thrash / death metal fusion they did. 

Rock:  Helmet

Country (& Western):  Jerry Jeff Walker

Enuff Z'Nuff. Like Cheap Trick, but not Cheap Trick, and nowhere near as famous as Cheap Trick.

In terms of pure musical talent, the Dave Lee Roth band with Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan. Fantastic musicians, world champion class players, but it's not Van Halen.

Rap: EPMD (well they're probably my favorite, but I've never hear anyone else love them the way I do)

Metal: Demolition Hammer - two albums that are classics in Epidemic of Violence and Tortured Existence. They just didn't get much recognition for being awesome with the thrash / death metal fusion they did.

Rock: Helmet

Country (& Western): Jerry Jeff Walker

There's definitely periods of time where I would consider Helmet ny favorite band. They're in the rotation with They Might be Giants, Failure and Face to Face.

Wire/Young Marble Giants. Simple and effective. No muscularity, but a skeleton sturdy enough to support the "great band" frame. My personal two favorite bands of all time, but I can totally see why they would turn people off.

I had to laugh that the title of the thread is "best band that is nobody's favorite band", and you nominated your self proclaimed two favorite bands :)

• 2 weeks later...

Elastica. They put out one really great album in 95, and promptly faded into obscurity. By the time they got their shit together and released a second album in 2000, no one was listening to their style of music anymore. Now the singer doesn't even perform anymore.