DVDVR Message Board

Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling Podcast

Web Conn

I don't know, Hero and Punk are friends but they're not as close as a lot of people tend to believe they are. I'm sure Punk thought Hero getting cut was a bad call but I doubt it was a huge issue for him. 

Yeah, he is closer to Cabana for sure. Again, it may be more the 'top guys get to look after their pals' ego thing as much as anything and I'm not saying it's a primary issue - just an aggravating factor.

It's like Vince has said 'I owe you one' a couple of times, once for making him work Ryback, then he releases one of the guys that Punk probably would have felt very safe about working with in Ohno. It all builds up.

Punk has gotten himself more over from his couch than the WWE could have done in the last 11 months. He also gets them more main stream exposure, and creates more interest in their product than anyone they have under contract.

As for Punk apologizing like the Outlaws did I don't see it, but there is about a billion times more money to be made on a Punk return.

I could see them mutually apologizing. Time changes a lot of things, but I don't think HHH really holds grudges. I think most of the shit he pulled over the years was more protecting his spot than any genuine malice.

Said it before - if Punk wants to come back, I'm sure that'll be fine by a company whose purpose is to make money. It's business, not personal. He'll most likely be a bigger star than before if he returns, and will make the WWE and himself more money.

If Lesnar returns to MMA as expected, or even if he doesn't, wouldn't Punk have just a ton of leverage if he wanted to return?

He doesn't really have to, though - if he needs spot money, he can always sign autographs at comic cons, and you know any book he writes would probably sell pretty well. I'd probably have saved some of this juice for "Fuck C.P. Munk: The C.M. Punk Story."

piranesi, on 28 Nov 2014 - 8:53 PM, said:

The thing that bothers me the most is that Punk's cascade of injuries coupled with the pressure (both from yourself and the office) to keep going is probably not that unusual and probably equals the normal load of pain all these guys are dealing with all the time. 

I would like it if Punk had made that part a bit more clear so that it came off less "look how badly they treated ME!!!" and more "Look how much this job is destroying probably everyone that you watch and like."

I mean, I knew his knees were hurt and his arm was a mess, but had no idea he was working through concussions, broken ribs, some kind of pelvis thing, and a fucking MRSA infection on top of all that.  I get the sense that when we hear someone is "banged up" and hear about one thing or another, that there's probably another five or six major issues that are going on at the same time.

On top of all that Punk is probably not popping dozens of painkillers daily to deal with these injuries that other guys might.

If one thing comes out of this I hope it is more attention to medical problems so that there is not another incident.  A deeper main event roster in terms of priority on the card would make it easier if guys need to miss a week or two.  Having three or four main event guys on both the face and heels would make it easier for guys to take some time off.

Where this hits hard are places like ROH and TNA, especially TNA with respect to their lack of medical coverage.  The WWE can absorb better coverage but the smaller feds cannot.

To be fair, they clearly are going for a deeper main-event and upper midcard picture - Ambrose, Rollins, Reigns & Ziggler are now there or thereabouts, with Rusev in the picture and Harper/Rowan/Ryback coming back strong. They deserve credit for that, though arguably the roster split was better at ensuring that in the first place.

• Like 1

Is anyone going to crack this "independent contractor" deal for WWE, though? I would love for the wrestlers to unionize, and were CM Punk not just sick of it all (and had he not been able to settle for his royalty checks + extra), I would guess that he's the type of guy who would go head to head with Vince McMahon in court over being categorized as an independent contractor.

It's not at all a perfect analogy, but will there eventually be a Curt Flood of wrestling, do y'all think? Will there be one in our lifetimes? In Vince McMahon's lifetime?